X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bunker gear standards

greetings,

We have a delima(?) here at our station. Our chief requires us to take our gear home after every shift. We have no washing machine with an extricator at the station, nor do we have any at our residences. Am I mistaken, or is there an NFPA standard regarding the taking of gear home or gear cleaning equipment at the station? We don't want our gear brought home after a call with all the crap on it. Any answers are appreciated.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

I think it is in NFPA 1581. Infection control standard. I hope this helps.

Comment

NFPA 1851 is the Care and Cleaning Standard. Remember...a standard is an accepted practice. Not law...

I do not agree with your chief making you take the gear home, but there is no "law" that prohibits it. You can approach him with the liabilities of forcing you to do so. If the standard exists...and you chose not to follow it...OH WELL...but...if something happens...the person that choses not to follow it is in DEEP DOO DOO!

Tell the chief that you will not take it into your home and when he says to store it in the car or garage...tell him that the exposure to ultraviolet light from the sun will degradate the shell. Remind him that whatever is on the shell is secondary contamination to your vehicle, your carpet and worse....YOUR FAMILY.

Citrosqueeze

This web site will give you exerpts from the 1851 standard. Look around the site and you will find it. This cleaner is environmentally safe and with a PH of 8.5 is way under the maximum the standard allows which is 10.5. It is designed to remove the hyrdrcarbons and carcinogens.

Do not clean your gear with anything that has sodium hydroxides, sodium hypochlorites, or sodium silicates in it. Will destroy the fabric.

You do not have to have an extractor..although it is recommended. DO NOT USE AN AGITATOR though. A stainless steel commercial front load or top load drum (no agitator) is acceptable. Temperature should be about 108 degrees F. With the citrosqueeze product...if no washer is available you can develope a soak tank... Soak the gear and then lightly scrub with brush, rinse and hang to air dry. DO NOT DRY IN DRYER.

you are in LA..... Southern Laboratories is in Chalmette LA. Contact John Schenck, perhaps he can provide you with some ammunition. 800-521-0652

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: captstanm1 ]
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      ------------------------------
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Thanks for the info and the heads up on the website.
        Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Comment

If La. is an OSHA state, your chief may be violating OSHA regulations, which is a punishable (by fines) offense! Even if you are not covered by OSHA, you are still entitled to certain coverages provided by local and state employees assistance programs.
          FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X