This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Jersey Laws on leaving for calls

does any one know what the current laws if any are in NJ for protection of volunteers for leaving work for calls. i know there is a bill proposed that if you work in the town you respond to or five miles from the house you respond to you can leave for major incidents and if not paid by your employer, be paid my your town
    thanks in advance
    be safe
    9/11/01 forever in our hearts

there are none except for municipal employees.

likely that there will never be any others.
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

no_name -

Any idea where I can see it in writing regarding municipal employees? We are having this debate in town with the new boss and I would like to show it to him in the ever confusing "letter of the law"

Thanks!

Comment

I once found the information you are looking for in the Law Library of the County Court House. I believe it was in the state statutes. I cannot swear to the fact of employees of work for a municipality other than the one they serve as a volunteer in.
        I do remember that it stated words to the effect that you can respond without loss of pay. On a personel note I can tell you that Verizon allows for it's workers to leave for emergencies upon request of the department's chief, it also allows for workers who take a call that extends into their work time to continue to work the scene for the emergency time without loss of pay, they are very specific about the term emergency time, as it does not allow for the repacking of hose and such.

Comment

Try contacting the New Jersey State Firemen's Association. Frank Bocchino is the President. Or ask your Chief if the dept. belongs to a regional fi
          When Life Is On The Line. We Are Never Off Duty.

Comment

40A:9-160.1. Compensatory time off for employees who are members of certain volunteer organizations
            The governing body of any municipality shall grant time off from work with pay for municipal employees who are members of a volunteer fire company serving the municipality, volunteers in first aid or rescue squads serving the municipality or volunteer drivers of municipally-owned or operated ambulances when such employees are called to respond to alarms occurring during the hours of their employment.

You can search for it at:
            http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/html/statutes.htm
            The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

Technically anyone can leave at any time (as a volunteer) to respond to a call, but the employer is not required to pay you. Your employer cannot penalize you for leaving work if they are aware that you will have to do this from time to time to protect the community you serve - you have to tell them up front that you are a volunteer and may have to leave for major incidents. I have never left work for a call but then again I work 25 miles from my fire station so it wouldn't make sense for me to leave to respond..I would never make the truck!
              Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Actually, HC, that is a myth. If you leave your job, you can be fired. There is no law in NJ that lets you leave and be docked, believe it or not.

Comment

As far as it's been explained to me you can arrive late to work and not be given trouble for it but to actually leave work to respond at least from what I've been told that is entirley up to your employer.

I have been late to work three times in four years for calls. One included my company being dispatched to a 2nd alarm mutial aid response just as I hit the Office Parking Lot...I backed out and headed for the Station..Technichally I wasn't in the Office Yet and it was 4 o'clock in the afternoon which is a bad time for us response wise so I took it in...Got to the station and phoned the boss let him know I'd be a couple of hours late then jumped into my gear and took off on the truck....Made it to work by 7:15pm after going home for another shower and dry clothes.

My bosses are pretty cool with the fact I'm a Volunteer Firefighter and have never given me grief for showing up late but I don't leave unless the call is pretty large
                  ***The Opinions expressed here are strictly my own and do not reflect those of the Department to which I am a Member ! ***

Stratford Fire Co. # 1.."Any Job ~ Any Place ~ Any Time"

Check us Out www.stratfordfire.com

Comment

You need to understand that there is no "law" that permits this. If your employer wanted to fire you for doing this, they could.

Comment

Thank god there is no as I call it "WACKER PROTECTION LAW" or else everybody who wanted free time off from work, would join the fd. Face it, leaving work is a courtesy for some and just not possible for others. It is something that should be worked out in advance in a professional courteous manner. remember you are representing your VFD when asking to leave. Being a *****, and playing the "I NEED TO LEAVE WORK TO SAVE THE WORLD" BS, will only dig a deeper hole for you to get out of in the long run.

Sorry if I offended anyone in my rambling but I have a very strong opinion about anything that tarnishes our volunteer fire department reputations.

-Nick

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X