This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elitist, pseudo-intellectual babble

I was disgusted by a recent article in Salon.com penned by Jim DeRogatis. It was supposed to be a musical critique of Paul McCartney's recent "The Concert for NYC," but the writer decided to get on his political soapbox and even took potshots at the fund-raiser's intended recipients. DeRogatis included such insensitive blather as:
    <<<>>>
    That was in reference to the crowd of firemen and cops and the families of those who died. DeRogatis also added:
    <<<>>>

You can read the article at http://www.salon.com/ent/music/featu...fit/index.html

The tag at the end of the article includes links to DeRogatis' e-mail address and his web site.

Oops, for some reason the quotes from the article didn't show up in my previous post. Here are the samples of what DeRogatis wrote:

That the crowd cheerfully complied was irrelevant -- it would have been hard to find a rowdier, drunker or whiter group anywhere on television, outside of a monster-truck or pro-wrestling match. While the cameo superstars continually told us that this night "was about so much more than what was happening onstage," it was quite obvious to everybody else that it was just entertainment as usual, and pass me another beer.

And it was certainly easy to dislike those heroic cops and firemen as they bum-rushed the stage to pay tribute to fallen comrades without once mentioning the thousands of dead office workers at the World Trade Center, much less the innocents who are being killed along with the guilty as we wage war in Central Asia.

Comment

DeRogatis' article was a waste of perfectly good electrons...he is one of those "holier than thou" pseudo intellectuals that cannot and will not understand what we are all about...I think he should go for a few cold ones with Mike Moran and the boys from the FDNY so he can get an "education"!

He's probably mad because the true American Heroes got the good seats!

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

What a freakin' bonehead! Is this guy from the same planet as the rest of us? Come on dude where is your sense of honor for our fallen brothers and sisters. He makes it sound like it was nothing but a drunken ball of firefighters hanging out with a bunch of who's who from the music industry. Never mind the fact that they raised over fourteen million dollars. Left wing radical maybe?

Comment

DFD FF, I read the article and then wrote a letter to the editor for publication. Basically i wrote that DeRogatis needs to get a life and that those of us who serve others makes him uncomfortable, especially apparent to his self-serving attitude towards others. I finished the letter by saying that some day he may need us and that no matter how white we are, we'll be there to help him all we can.
          By the way, who's buying.....
          Be safe all!
          See you on the big one!<br />Billy Reiter 1st Lieutenant/Chaplain available 24 7

Comment

What a jerk!!!

Where is Mike Moran when you need him???

I hope that DeRogatis never needs the assistance of FDNY because then he just might discover that paybacks can be hell!!

Garbage like that insults us all!!!

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: ceno2749 ]
            Opinions stated are mine only and do not reflect those of my companies.

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

DFD, what the **** are you doing reading "Salon", anyway? (other than looking for this kind of claptrap, of course).

Comment

Salon is one of my favorite web sites. It contains a lot of great writing, although this article was a HUGE exception.

Comment

Sent this clown an e-mail and told him to stick to writing about things he knows something about. Obviously doesn't know a thing about firefighters.

[ 10-25-2001: Message edited by: ffemtmjb ]

Comment

This guy makes his living out of being a pop-music critic, according to the short bio at the end. I'd be bitter too, if I had to listen to pop-music all the time. I digress...

I didn't see the concert, buy I've never been real impressed with many of those multi-act benefit concerts, and everyone is entitled to their opinion on that. Taste in music is, after all, subjective.

But to critize firefighters and police officers who "bum-rushed the stage to pay tribute to fallen comrades without once mentioning the thousands of dead office workers at the World Trade Center, much less the innocents who are being killed along with the guilty as we wage war in Central Asia" seems a little harsh. If it was me on the stage, I'd pay tribute to those I missed the most, which would be my friends and co-workers.

As far as the people in Central Asia being killed "with the guilty", well, that sucks, but war isn't pretty and it sure ain't fair.

I wouldn't let this guy get too far under your skin, gentlemen. I'm having a hard time taking him seriously just from his job title. What do you have to do to be a pop-music critic?
                    Bryan Beall
                    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

I wonder if he has ever fought for America's freedom. Or if he has ever put his life on the line to save other folks. I doubt it, but he takes advantage of everyone else who has fought for his freedoms.
                      Larry

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X