This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• firefighter/actor Steve Buscemi?

I read the article about FDNY Firefighter Michael Moran telling old OB to "kiss his Irish butt" and loved it! You go guy!

One thing surprised me though. They referred to actor Steve Buscemi as "firefighter turned actor" and said that he had attended Probie school with Mike Moran's brother, the late Battalion Chief John Moran, which would imply to me that he formerly served with FDNY. However, that wasn't confirmed in the article.

Was he with FDNY? I saw an article about him in Esquire magazine a few years ago that said he was a volunteer firefighter, but I'd never have guessed he was with FDNY. Anybody know?

Whatever the case, he's a great actor... Funny as hell in Fargo! And in Reservoir Dogs, his performance in the "I don't tip" scene is priceless!

Firebraun
    Fire service survival tips:
    1) Cook at 350...
    2) Pump at 150...
    3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
    4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

From what I've read about him, he was with FDNY from about 1980-84, then took a leave of absence for some acting jobs and became so successful that he never went back to the department. I've always enjoyed his acting work, especially when he hosted Saturday Night Live. I read that he helped his old engine company search for survivors after the 9-11 attack.

Comment

WHAT THE DFD FF SAID WAS THE WAY I HEARD IT AS WELL
      YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

If you are talking about the guy that plays in ConAir and Armagedan (spelling) yes...he has been on TV several times and said he used to work at Engine 55 for about 5 years I think.
        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
        ------------------------------
        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
        BMI Investigator
        ------------------------------
        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Yes, Steve Buscemi was a firefighter with the FDNY for a little while. I am not sure on the exact number of years but I do know that he was with an engine company. I think he was even in either the Bronx or SoHo, not sure which. But he did go back to NY as soon as this all happened and helped out his engine company. What a guy huh? Goes back to help his brothers in a time of need. Shows you he was a true firefighter!!!

GOD BLESS THE FDNY!!!
          Adam Spencer
          Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
          Nixa Fire District
          Nixa MO 65714

Comment

I always have enjoyed Steve's work, I think he's a talented actor. But I gained even more respect for him when I learned a few days after 9-11 that he had returned to NYFD to help out his brothers. I've got to agree with Adam- just goes to show he IS a true firefighter.
            Jim Edge, Paramedic/Firefighter
            Wilmington NC
            [email protected]
            In Memory and Honor of FDNY, NYPD, and NYC EMS 9/11/01

Comment

I saw in in an interview that he used to get stuck on the watch desk on deep nights and would watch all the "B" movies on Cinemax and HBO, he said at that point he knew he could act.

Comment

I believe Buscemi worked in 55-Engine, in the "little Italy" section of Manhattan.

Comment

At the concert, they said he was "firefighter turned actor" then they added that after the attacks he went back to being a firefighter.

I tried finding info on this on the web, but was only able to confirm that he was with FDNY before he became an actor. Does anyone know if he is pulling shifts with them again?
                  IACOJ Agitator
                  Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

You got it, Buscemi is a brother....afew guys from my company went to the memorial for Ret. Capt. James Corrigan a couple weeks ago. There was a guy there that looked incredibly familiar, but we couldnt figure out who he was, we all thought he was an old friend of ours...but later on we we realized it was Steve Buscemi
                    Stay Safe!!! FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

R1SmokeEater was right. Steve Buscemi was a firefighter at 55 Engine in "Little Italy" before he left to pursue his career in acting.
                      "Greater love hath no man than this; that a man lay down his life for his friends."

Comment

Someone said that he has gone back to firefighting? Anyone know what this means and in what capacity? Is he back with FDNY? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by daysleeper47
                          Someone said that he has gone back to firefighting? Anyone know what this means and in what capacity? Is he back with FDNY? Thanks.
                          Any updates on this?
                          IACOJ Agitator
                          Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse