This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 inch hose

How many departments out there are using 2 inch attack hose? And, in what capacity? Are you using it to replace either 1 1/2 or 1 3/4 inch hose, as a intermediate between those and 2 1/2, or to replace 2 1/2 inch hose? Also what nozzle(s) and flow are you getting from it?

I don't want this to become another of the famous ****ing matches over what is better, I just am curious as to how 2 inch hose is being utilized in the fire service.

Thanks,

FyredUp

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: FyredUp ]
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

To add to FyredUp's post (if he doesn't mind). How do you find that the 2" hose handles compared to 1 3/4" ?

Comment

We use 2" as our "daytime" attack line. With staffing problems during the day (two or three man engine), pulling a 2 1/2" or 2-1 3/4" lines isn't an option for an interior attack when an single 1 3/4" won't cut it. The 2" gives us more flow, but can still be handled by two guys to get started while mutual aid is on the way.

Before it starts, I know "two in two out", and there are plenty of ways for two guys to handle a 2 1/2". But, we are a small Vol. Dept., and we have found that the 2" is a great compromise between the higher flow of 2 1/2" and the maneuverability of 1 3/4".
      Just my 2 cents....3 before taxes

Fir Na Tine

Comment

My vollie unit uses 2 inch handlines exclusivly, with the execption of the duece and a half for big jobs, and 1 3/4 (one line)and forestry hose for rubbish/trash lines.

The 2 inch is nice, doesn't seem that much different to pull, move, manuever. Does seem to have more reach, knockdown, and believe it or not less backpressure on the nozzleman.

We use Task Force Tips on all lines/deck guns and they also flow nice, have an efficient stream, and are well worth the money.

But then again, what do I know......I'm just a Truckee!
        FTM - PTB

Comment

We have a couple of trucks with room for three crosslays. On those trucks, we use two sets of 1-3/4" and a third of 2". Four words--big fire, big water. For most fires, the 1-3/4" attack crosslays is plenty, but for some, the bigger hose is nice to have. Of course, the drawback is weight and maneuverability--it's amazing that just a slightly larger hose can be that much more of a struggle to move.

Comment

fire_sar,

I don't mind your additional question at all.

I will tell you how we came to be a 2 inch attack hose exclusive fire department. The only exception to that would be a 100' 1 3/4" trashline and 1" forestry hose.

In an experiment we placed 200" of 2" on the engine as a rear pre-connect, we had carried at that time 2-1 3/4" crosslays. At several fires the crews walked right past the crosslays grabbed the 2" and kicked some serious butt. They made the choice of going for the 2" on their own. So our then chief said if they like it so much and it is working so well let's go all the way with it.

As far as it being harder to move...maybe a little, but none of our FF's has complained about it. We normally have 2 people on the line.

We like the versatility of being able to flow from around 160gpm up to over 325gpm with out having to change lines or pump excessively high engine pressures.

Take care and stay safe,

FyredUp
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

We run with the 2" as an intermediate choice between the 1 3/4" and the 2 1/2" It is not really any harder to deploy or manuveur than an 1 3/4" We run with a 1 1/8" Smooth Bore tip and flow up to about 250 gpms with a tip pressure of 50 psi.

Comment

We only use 5 inch attack line with a 5inch to 21/2 coupling with stack tip nozzel.

No I am sorry that's our bin landin enma tool...

Comment

Contact Lt.Cal Lewis of the Seminole Fire Department in Seminole Florida. It is in Pinellas County. 727-393-8711

They have used a lot of 2" They also did some training and tests with 2" and using the TFT Blitzfire for interior attack on High Rises. Developed a very good flow but maintained manueverability...
                  09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                  ------------------------------
                  IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                  "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                  BMI Investigator
                  ------------------------------
                  The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

If Fyredup doesn't mind another question tacked onto the original....

How long are the 2" lines?
                    What are the gpm flows and at what engine pressures?

Thank you.
                    BE SAFE
                    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Comment

The 2" attack line is fast becoming the new trend as 1 3/4" did over 1 1/2". some local departments have switched to 2" only and love it, others run a 2" off the back as an extra resource. And yet others like Syracuse NY use it in a slit for long pre-connects 150ft 2" then 100ft of 1 3/4" w/ nozzle for there 250 foot pre-connects. Pesonally If my department could afford to switch tommorrow we would.
                      Firefighter/CCEMT-P
                      May we ride into the darkness only to return as safe as we started!!

Comment

Nice to see others looking at different size hose lines. We unfortunatelty still use alot of 1 1/2 hose. Each truck carries a couple of 200ft 1 3/4 preconnects and 1 150ft 2 1/2 preconnect. The rest of the preconnects are ususally 1 1/2.
                        Each truck carries a flat load of about 600 ft of 2 1/2, and 1000 ft 4 inch.
                        We were going to go to all 1 3/4 and 2 1/2 but the money dissapeared . Plus there are still enough old timers around to make the transition time consuming.

Comment

FyredUp...an additional question for you....What is the size ot the coupling for the 2" hose. I presume it's 2 1/2" but would like to know for sure. Feel free to email the answer...Thanks!

Capt Ice

[ 10-28-2001: Message edited by: Icerader ]
                          Be Proud, Be Courageous, Be Humble.
                          Be safe!
                          Captain Ice

Comment

The fire department I work for part time has a 200' 2" preconnected line off the back of each engine they run. The lines have 2" couplings. The two 98 pumpers have the 2" lines hooked to a by pass foam eductor with a 95 to 250 nozzle set at 125 gpm. The hose a bitch to move around. A fire last december at a apartment a crew of two tried to get it in service and had a very tough go of it. You sould have at least 3 to 4 ppl to make the line advance as well as a 1.5 or 1.75 hose.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X