This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny things a neighboring f.d. or you've done at a scene

okay i won't say the name of the f.d. we call them the foundation savers cause if your house or barn on fire all that left after they get there is a foundation. so the first thing they do(i'm not kidding) once there on the scene is get out there cooler full of beer and sandwiches. Almost all the depts other than this one you know first drop their drop tank or hook up to a hydrant not this one.

I know a vol co that they seem to have a race to the station to drive the apparatus but they forget to wait for the crew. Imagine our surprise when we found out after we sent their engine to another car wreck that it was only the driver... :
    [FDBS]Wray

Comment

What is wrong with beer & sandwiches? At least they have a defined set of priorities.
      They didn't start the fire (hopefully). I'll bet that an appointment had not been made for the fire in the first place.

Comment

The beer and sandwiches are a nice touch! If only I could get that into our SOP's! I guess it would atleast stop the wrestling matches at the fornt door for the hoseline! I was at a working job one cold evening when a mutual aid dept. pulled up in their ambulance, did not get out and played "another one bites the dust" over their p.a. system. It was pretty un professional, and now we just don't seem to want to work with them so much, I wonder why??? It may have been good natured fun, except for the family standing there watching their home go up in flames just before x-mas.

Comment

I don't know if you would consider it funny ....

A mutual aid company came into town I worked for and was assigned to check for extension in a room which appeared to be the area of origin. They finished in about 10 minutes. The room was found completely cleaned out of drywall ... all 4 walls and the ceiling. The drywall was found in a neat pile outside one of the windows. Wasn't a happy moment for the investigator.

However, all the furniture was still where it had been located, including the couch which needed to be extinguished about 15 minutes later, since it was still burning underneath.
          Tom
          The Fire Service ... where there is a right way, a wrong way, the Chief's way, the Deputy's way, the Captain's way, the Lieutenant's way ....

Comment

What kind of beer?

Comment

Chief is on the scene of a well involved structure. The neighboring engine got there first and pulled up to side 1. Their assignment? Reverse lay from the front of the structure to the hydrant so the chief's engine (still on the way in) could have the first line in. It's guys like this that give Volly's a bad name.

Stay Safe

Comment

Know about this voluntry Chief from a small South African town who insisted on the crew to wait for him to light his pipe before turning out. His motto, he didn't light it, he's only going to (try to) extinguish it. He also had them empty the water tanks after each call out as he was afraid the tanks may rust. So before the could turn out to an incident they first had to fill up. Reckon that would have caused quite a lot of people to be somewhat upset and unhappy.

This was a couple of years back and this town now operates with a full time professional service.
                Stay Safe - Sleep with a Firefighter

Comment

There was once a local fire department that, while fighting a large fire in a hog barn, began eating the roasted hogs. Needless to say, many got sick from the under-cooked meat! However, there was no alcohol on the scene (At least not on the first alarm)

On a much sadder note, when all of this happened I was working for a nearby fire department that was mostly volunteer. Once with THE chief and once with his son the ASSISTANT chief got into fights with the local fully-paid departments while we were responding with them.

[ 10-29-2001: Message edited by: PTHarper ]
                  "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

I still laugh when I think of this one:

We're enroute to a rescue competition in a town about 70 miles away from us. While driving through a small town on the way, the biggest d*mn pheasant I'd ever seen flies straight in front of the squad... and we hear a "THUMP!".

I stop the truck, the Captain and I get out to look, and there on the winch platform is the now deceased pheasant. Well, one of our guys is an avid hunter, and he grabs the pheasant, field cleans it, places it in a plastic bag and stuffs it into a cooler.

We get to the competition and the first thing we are required to do is lay out all equipment that's not permanently mounted on the unit. That included the cooler... so, one of the judges walks by, opens the lid, sees the pheasant and gets this weird look on his face...

He looked around real fast, hoping no one had seen him... WRONG! I just smiled and said we liked a little raw meat once in a while...

(I think he skipped lunch that day... )
                    Remember the brothers... FDNY 9/11/01

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

I.A.C.O.J. for LIFE!

Comment

I was at a 2-11 at a Public Storage in a neighboring town. During overhaul I here a couple of guys yell clear, I look over and see an electric range fly out of a unit and knock another firefighter who wasn't paying attention flat on his a**

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X