This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MODERN HELMETS VS. TRADITIONAL?

THE GUYS ON THE JOB AT OUR DEPARTMENT ARE TRYING TO CONVINCE OUR CHIEF TO GO TO THE TRADITIONAL STYLE HELMETS. OUR CHIEF DOES NOT LIKE THE TRADITIONALS, SAYING THEY ARE TOO HEAVY AND SIT TOO HIGH ON YOUR HEAD CAUSING NECK PAIN AND HEADACHES WHEN WORN FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME. WHAT INFO DOES ANYBODY HAVE THAT CAN CONVINCE HIM AND A FEW FFS THAT WE SHOULD SWITCH. THEN WHICH STYLE IS BEST FOR THE $$$$ CAIRNS,MORNING PRIDE,BULLARD, CONWAY????? GIVE ME SOME FEED BACK. THANKS. [email protected][/EMAIL]

[ 10-19-2001: Message edited by: LT. SHONEY ]
    "PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF"

Chieftain Safety Products

Use the link above to view Chieftain Helmets. The 1910 is the traditional style. It seems to sit lower on your head and to me is no heavier than the Cairns 660C Metro.

You can get it for around $185.00 (includes the front leather shield) depending on whether you want it with goggles or the full visor. It is NFPA Compliant and it the CLOSEST to being an exact replica to the leather i have seen. It is almost identical to the Cairns 1010...but cheaper.....

Good luck
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

My Department issues Cairns 1010's to those thta don't own there own helmet. Those of us who do own our own have Cairns New Yorkers. As for headaches and neck pains from wearing them for extended periods of time I personaly have never expierenced either but, I'm sure there are many that have.
      This is a tough issue for any departemnt to face. You may want to get in touch with the sales reps in your area and have them bring in some to look at and to try on. This may aid you in your decision. The important thing is that the Firefighters are comfortable with the helmet you choose and its compliant. It doesn't matter what brand or style as long as it does its job and the Firefighters are satisied with the choice because in the end they will be the ones who have to wear them.
      I wish you the best of Luck on this one and Post the choice and why you went with it. It may aid another department facing a similar situation.

Comment

THANKS, I WILL DEFINITELY POST WHICH HELMET WE GO WITH.null
        "PUT THE WET STUFF ON THE RED STUFF"

Comment

I have worn a Cairns 1010 or Sam Houston for all but three months of my career. In fact, I went to that helmet because the Bullards gave me a headache and caused me neck pain.
          "Honor Above Thyself"

Patrick Harper

NOTE: THE VIEWS EXPRESSED BY ME IN THIS FORUM DO NOT REFLECT THE VIEWS OF MY EMPLOYER.

Comment

If you polled the Fire Service, it wouldn't even be close as to which helmet is prefered.
            As a tribute to all those who were wearing traditional helmets and lost their lives on 9-11-01, why don't you manufacturers quit producing "modern" helmets and make nothing else but what most of us want?

Comment

I recently bought a Morning Pride Ben II Plus with E-Z flips (Bourke type eye shields) and I carry goggles in my gear. I liked the traditional look and if it was good enough for FDNY to use, that's all I needed The price was reasonable. I spent less than $250. That's including the helmet,goggles, and high quality 6" Paul Conway Shield. You could get one for less if you just went with the goggles which are NFPA compliant.

As for the modern helmets or AKA "salad bowls", I don't like them. I had a Metro helmet for years and it was boring. No sense of tradition. Now they have these helmets that make firefighters look like fighter pilots. Don't get me wrong. I'm very proud of the men and women in our armed forces. But, I think a firefighter should look like one Good luck with your search for the "perfect" helmet.

Oh by the way, I got my helmet at www.nyfirestore.com

They have very good prices.
              Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

You mean some firefighters dont wear leather helmets?

I shudder at the thought.

be safe.

Comment

I agree totally with the traditional look. I have a Morning Pride Ben Franklin II and I love it. My department issues Bullard helmets, which in my opinion, is as good as a screen door on a submarine. Wearing the Benny, it feels like I'm wearing a baseball cap that I can wear all day. If I wear the Bullard, my head starts to hurt because it never fits right and it iritates my forehead. Lots of other guys complain about the same thing. At least for now, our chief allows us to wear our own if we have them. The ***'t chief thinks that we should be wearing what they issue us for liability problems. Myself and 2 other guys have our own traditional style helmets and one more is ordering a Benny as well. I feel the protection from a Benny is much better than what we get issued. It is a little heavier but fits much better and is more comfortable so you don't notice it.

I got mine from a friend who is a dealer in firefighting equipment but they sell usually for around $160-$190, depending on with or without front, chin strap etc. I think its well worth every penny!

Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Jason Knecht
                  Firefighter/EMT
                  Township Fire Dept., Inc.
                  Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
                  http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
                  EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

I`m a probie, so I have a Metro, but everyone else in my department has a nice New York style. They`re really comftorable, our Metro`s are pathetic. They`re falling apart, they fall off, and they hurt. Anyone else using a metro, I`m sure you understand, I can`t wait until we get rid of them.

Comment

You know... those that say that leather helmets are too heavy need to take a good look at the label inside... they may be suprised.

My N5A... 54 ounces.

The Cairns 1010 next to it? 53 ounces.

A whopping ONE OUNCE DIFFERENCE!!!

I'm really shocked at the number of people who complain that leathers are too heavy and have never worn one, or only believe it because that's what they were told.

I'll take that extra ounce and get what I feel to be much better protection...
                      Leather forever.
                      Hey, it's MY opinion, not that of my department or peers.

Comment

Leather forever. Cairns N5A New Yorker. nothing else.
                        "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

I am a leather person myself. Have always worn one except when "not allowed" by my career department which issued 660C Metro. I think it is comparible to wearing an emasis (spelling) basin on your head. The leather fits better and if you are used to it....then you can not tell the difference in weight.

The traditioanl style helmets, Chieftain 1910, Cairns 1000 and 1010, Bullard, Ben Franklin....etc... They all look great and some folks can not afford the leather.

I am with RS1ALUM.....Manufacturers stop making anything but traditional style helmets!!!!!
                          09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                          IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                          "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                          BMI Investigator
                          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

First of all, I wish you luck with this. Our chief allowed us to go to traditionals in '95 and it was a tremendous morale booster. That being said, I would go with the Ben II. Reasons: Cairns 1010 is a great helmet but the rear brim hits the back of your SCBA. The leathers are great, too, but the NYer is not NFPA compliant (sadly) and the Houston sits up too high on your head. The Ben II is a tough, well-balanced and well-engineered helmet (and the fact that FDNY issues it doesn't hurt).

Just my personal opinion; I wear my Ben II proudly having worn the others in the past. Again, good luck.

Comment

PFD 66 I'm gonna tell that Antique safety officer of yours you said that.Yeah, I be talking about that national celebrity Asdourian.Nextly I don't know how you guys got lightweight N5 but the new ones are 68oz plus. T.C.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X