who does extrication in nyc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who does extrication in nyc

I'm a little confused as to what exactly the NYPD ESU units do. Are they responsible for extrication and other rescues or is that FDNY?

thanks in advance

NYPD ESU units are a lot like "SWAT" units in other cities and they also do pin jobs and various other types of rescues.

FDNY, of course, also does extrication and rescue, so there is an overlap - you might even say a duplication of services.

Everyone knows the FDNY Rescue Companies, now there are the Squad Companies doing "rescue work" and some Ladder companies have carried Hurst tools for many years.

In the case of a pin job, a lot of times it depends on how the call is reported as to who works it, NYPD ESU or FDNY.

Comment

To answer your question, both FDNY & NYPD ESU do extrication. Who is directly responsible for it has been a debate for years - the reality is there is plenty of work to go around to keep everybody busy.

While all FDNY ladder co.'s carry Hurst tools for basic "tool jobs", the squads & rescues carry more tools & generally are assigned to the more involved or unusual rescues.

ESU is as their saying goes "who the cops call when they need help" - an REP (small squad truck) with 2 PO's trained in extrication, high angle, scuba, tactical law enforcement ops, EMT's, EPT's (emer. pysch. techs - for dealing with "jumpers") & a lot of other stuff.

They're a good bunch of guys to work with
      (a lot are "vollie" FF's here on L.I.) - if you're ever traveling on a NYC highway, parkway, etc. & pass a "pin job", they're the guys climbing over the divider with the tool running!!

While there have been some trying times with both agencies on scene at an incident, the job ALWAYS get done by highly trained guys who are very good at what they do regardless of their dept. affiliation.

On a side note, I speak from experience regarding these guys - I worked side by side with them while "on the job" with NYC*EMS in East New York, Brooklyn.

Hope that answers your question. Stay Safe!!!!

Comment

That would be the ultimate job!!

thanks guys

Comment

I saw a TLC program about the ESU. Saw them work an extrication too. Now, they're just increadible, real cop's cops. But I did notice more than a couple of safety corners cut during the job. They pulled two people out of a nasty wreck (couldn't tell how long cause of the editing). But it seems like everyone at the scene was at uneceesary risk in the process. Again, no bashing here. Just one guy's take on what I saw in the documentary that I thought might be relevant.

Comment

some volly's in the nyc area also do extrication. that's right, i said vollys.
            May God bless all the people and families who have lost
            their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
            [email protected]

Comment

Just exactly what volunteer organizations do extrications within the city limits of New York City?

I'm sure there are a TON of volunteer departments doing just that on LI or in other nearby suburbs, but are you saying that volunteer organizations respond to, and perform, extrications in the city limits of NYC?

Clarificationj please?
              Fire service survival tips:
              1) Cook at 350...
              2) Pump at 150...
              3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
              4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Comment

In regards to Vollie units in NYC - there are several...

They are - in no particular order:

BRONX-
                Aviation Hose CO. 3 - 1 Engine
                Edgewater Park VFD - 2 mini-pumpers

BROOKLYN -
                Gerritsen Beach VFD - 1 engine, 1 ambulance, 1 rescue

QUEENS -
                West Hamilton Beach VFD - 2 engines, 2 ambulances
                Broad Channel VFD - 2 engines, 2 ambulances
                Roxbury VFD - 2 engines, 1 ambulance
                Rockaway Point VFD - 1 engine, 1 fast attack, 2 ambulances
                Point Breeze VFD - 1 engine

STATEN ISLAND -
                Oceanic Hook & Ladder CO. 1 - 1 engine, 1 brush truck
                Richmond Engine Co. - 1 engine
                Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

who does the extrication on NYC you ask?

Who's ever at the car with the tool running first.

anyone disagree?

i work near the esu truck 3 base they are usually there first they own the midnight shift(tour 1) i dont know about tour 2 or tour 3.

Comment

The Hurst Tool does the extrications sillies!
                    FTM - PTB

Comment

Originally posted by FF McDonald:
                      In regards to Vollie units in NYC - there are several...

They are - in no particular order:

BRONX-
                      Aviation Hose CO. 3 - 1 Engine
                      Edgewater Park VFD - 2 mini-pumpers

BROOKLYN -
                      Gerritsen Beach VFD - 1 engine, 1 ambulance, 1 rescue

QUEENS -
                      West Hamilton Beach VFD - 2 engines, 2 ambulances
                      Broad Channel VFD - 2 engines, 2 ambulances
                      Roxbury VFD - 2 engines, 1 ambulance
                      Rockaway Point VFD - 1 engine, 1 fast attack, 2 ambulances
                      Point Breeze VFD - 1 engine

STATEN ISLAND -
                      Oceanic Hook & Ladder CO. 1 - 1 engine, 1 brush truck
                      Richmond Engine Co. - 1 engine
                      OK. The question remains, which vollie companies do extrication? I don't see a Rescue, a Squad, a Ladder Co. or an ESU Truck in the bunch.
                      Do these companies have first due areas per FDNY? If not they may as well just be buff clubs.

Comment

How about a little respect for the vollie brothers in NYC .....

What was meant by this:Do these companies have first due areas per FDNY? If not they may as well just be buff clubs.

I'd hate to be one to speak out of turn - but you have some pretty big 'stones' to be saying that--

Staten Island vollie units are dispatched by the SI Communications Office, and those companies respond in addition to a FDNY alarm assignment, and operate on the FDNY Staten Island channel.

I'd hate to think that any of these departments are -- "Buff clubs"

If you so desperately need to find out which volunteer units run extrication - try e-mailing toneloc177 -- seeing as he was the individual that mentioned vollie units doing extrication.

Or you can e-mail me- and I will gladly provide you with the phone numbers of all of these volunteer stations so you can tell them yourself you think that they are a "buff club".
                        Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                        "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

FF McDonald:
                          You ask:
                          -How about a little respect for the vollie brothers in NYC .....

>>If someone gets my professional respect they can be sure of one thing, they've earned it. Apparently you think they deserve automatic credibility and respect. Why? Because they're vollies? Because they happen to be within the city limits of NYC?

-What was meant by this: Do these companies have first due areas per FDNY? If not they may as well just be buff clubs.

>>It was a question. You seem to be a smart guy, got an answer yet?

-I'd hate to be one to speak out of turn - but you have some pretty big 'stones' to be saying that--

>>Size is all relative, I guess you'd have to compare them to what you know.

-Staten Island vollie units are dispatched by the SI Communications Office, and those companies respond in addition to a FDNY alarm assignment, and operate on the FDNY Staten Island channel.

>>Wow, it almost sounds like you're quoting from a book. Now...what I asked was: do they have a first due? That would be an indication to me that they truly serve a purpose outside their own organizations.

-I'd hate to think that any of these departments are -- "Buff clubs"

>>What if that's the truth? I'd hate to think that you'd hate to think it was worth knowing the truth.

-If you so desperately need to find out which volunteer units run extrication - try e-mailing toneloc177 -- seeing as he was the individual that mentioned vollie units doing extrication.

>>Why would I need to e-mail privately as part of this open forum? A statement was made in this thread to all. I, and possibly others on here, would like to know more about the statement that was made.

-Or you can e-mail me- and I will gladly provide you with the phone numbers of all of these volunteer stations so you can tell them yourself you think that they are a "buff club".

>>That's very decent of you but, actually, I can get those numbers myself if I should ever need to. Thanks anyway.

...I've been hearing of the existence of these companies for many years but I've never heard much other than that...they exist. I personally believe FDNY to be one of, if not the premiere firefighting department in the world and I'm curious as to what real contribution these vollie outfits make and how, or if, they fit in.

In addition to the extrication question(remember that?) and first due question, I'd also like to know:

Are the vollie companies part of any FDNY assignments dispatched in the vicinity of their quarters? In other words, if it's a 4 and 2 response are they one of the 4 engines or are they extra, as in "nice if you're there, nice if you're not?"

What type of selection process do their members go through, if any.

Do they have the same or equivalent training as FDNY members?

Are their officers recognized in the FDNY chain-of-command?

Do they do interior firefighting and if so, how are their members accounted for?

Do they guarantee a fully staffed response within a given time frame?

If dispatched, what percentage of the time do they actually get out?

How many runs do they do each year?

Hmmm. Anyone got some real answers? Inquiring minds want to know.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

Comment

Easy does it Noz...Don't be surprised if a number of the members on those vollie companies are FDNY regulars who vollie on their off days...

Lots of smaller and volunteer departments run rescue pumpers that are stocked with all of the gear they can shoe horn into them, yet they do not call themselves rescue or squad. Running areas that are 100% residential usually don't require truck companies or dedicated rescue companies, so their members do it all. Look more closely at the list you quoted...there is at least one rescue and one ladder co.
                            I don't see a Rescue, a Squad, a Ladder Co. or an ESU Truck in the bunch.
                            Also, most volunteer departments these days are made up of a good proportion of off duty pros. I'd bet more than 95% of the land area of this nation is protected by volunteer companies, and they outnumber us career guys by about 6 to 1. Don't sell them short, they may save your life someday...
                            See You At The Big One

Comment

Hey, take it easy on the Hog there... He had the stones to ask the questions that I, and I'm sure many others, had as this post unfolded. And as far as I can see, they haven't been answered yet at all.

As for the list having "at least one rescue and one ladder co." It does not. It lists one of the vollie outfit's NAME as Oceanic Hook & Ladder CO. # 1 and goes on to say that their equipment consists of "1 engine and 1 brush truck."

I'm sure their NAME is a carryover from the 1800's, when all of the department was volunteer, and that they probably had a horse drawn ladder back in the day, but with "1 engine and 1 brush truck," they hardly qualify as "Truckies."

Which brings me to the vollie "Rescue." One is listed, but is it really an FDNY style "Rescue?" You know, a huge-*** rig with all the equipment of 2 trucks, 3 Squads and then some... A freakin' RESCUE! Or is it just a 3/4 ton pickup with a utility bed? Sure, a lot of departments call those "Johnny and Roy" rigs "Rescues" (mine included), but by the FDNY definition of the word "Rescue," one of those pickup-with-a-couple-of-doors-on-the-bed units is nothing more than a tool box with a motor and a steering wheel.

My own department has some vollie outfits which I would imagine are along the lines of the ones mentioned in NYC. They were formed years and years ago, before the paid stations made it that far out into the suburbs, and they have been allowed to continue operating. They're a bit more than "buff clubs," but not much. They don't have a "first due" and are dispatched in addition to our alarm assignments to addresses in their vicinity. As the Hog put it, "nice if they're there, nice if they're not..."

They show up for pretty much all of the fires and most of the extrications they get paged out to, but they leave us alone on all the "regular" calls. When they do show up, they're generally helpful. They show our officers total respect and stay out of the way when they don't need to be in it. And all of the one's I've met in our area are pretty much nice guys who seem to have good heads on their shoulders.

Firebraun
                              Fire service survival tips:
                              1) Cook at 350...
                              2) Pump at 150...
                              3) When in doubt, isolate and deny entry...
                              4) When in trouble, claim lack of adult supervision.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X