This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprinkler connections

Our dept. is looking at writing a new S.O.G. for making sprinkler connections. The question or debate is connecting straight in with 5 inch or wye off of five with 2-3 inch short sections into sprinkler connection. Please respond your pros and cons. thanks

Unless specified by your municipalities building code - the FDC (Fire Department Connection) for the sprinkler system is probably outfitted with a clappered siamese,2 1/2 or 3 inches in diameter.

So -- unless it has a 5-inch connection - I don't know how you are going to go straight in with the 5-inch hose. You could use a reducer - but that wouldn't take advantage of the flow capabilities of the 5 inch hose. Plus - 5 inch hose when charged is fairly heavy-- and may damage the FDC that it would be connected to.

In my humble opinion - I would bring a wye - off of the 5-inch hose, and then run 2 shorter lenghts of hose to the FDC. You may want to consult the company that installed the sprinkler system - or consult the data plate on the sprinkler system to see what the required flow is --- so you can make sure that you can supply the correct flow.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

Whether you go with the 5" directly to the FDC or wye to 2 short section of 3" probably will not make much difference in the flows/pressures you can supply to the FDC if you are looking at a more typical sprinkler demand.
      I think you probably know you have the option of using a 5" Storz to 2 1/2" NH to directly connect the 5" to FDC. This actually makes most use of the 5". FF Mac - think about the 5" to 2 1/2 Reducer vs. the wye and 2 sections of 3" (the wye and 2 sections of 3" are just another reducer and create more friction loss than the simple 5" to 2 1/2" reducer.) You can flow a great deal of gpms through a 2 1/2" connection. 1000-1200 gpm would be in the ball park for typical pump pressures (think of it as a 2 1/2" solid bore tip).

So your best supply would be the 5" direct which would beat the 2 short 3" sections by a small margin.

That brings up the question - how much are you intending to supply in gpm and pressure?
      If you are looking at ordinary hazard sprinkler systems and maybe a hose stream demand of 250 gpm, then either way probably doesn't make much of a difference. However, if you are intending to be able to fully supply (in the event of a closed sprinkler valve) am extra hazard/warehouse type sprinkler system and hose stream demands in the 500 gpm range, then I would leave the 3" seection out. Even short sections of 3" will start becoming a real choke point for high flows. I would say this would become an issue at flows in the 1200 gpm on up range.

For simplicity, I'd take the 5" in direct. If you have more details on the water supply you intend to provide through the FDC, if can post them, we can look at more specific cases.
      Good Luck

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X