This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• military DC, or city FD

im almost done with my Sr. year in HS. and ive known ive wanted to be a firefighter for almost 2 years now, and i need help with three questions please.
    im going to go to college and im going to try to find some kind of med. or arson anything related to FF classes. but anyways.
    1-what is the best way to get on as career, i know its hard, but im hell bent on making it and wont give up. i need to know how to go about getting the job. please help.
    2- asap after or during college i should take my EMT-B or EMT-p course?
    3, should i go straight for a city FD, apply and all? or go with the army or Navy as a damagecontrolman ? i know alot of you feel its best to go military first, and i would do anything to help my country in time of need like this. But, id rather be with a city FD for my career.
    thanks everyone for your time
    God bless America

Go to college for paramedic, and minor in a fire related science. Paramedic is the ticket nowadays, don't know if that's good or bad. If you are thinking military, try the Air Force. They have dedicated firefighters at the bases.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Comment

Look hard at the military. I am a firm believer in the military. It will teach you more for personnal gain and how to be a leader. The discipline they instill will last a life time and forever be in your mind. They will also pay 75% of ALL college tuition as long as you are on active duty. The college life is fun but ask yourself deep down what you want. Do you want honor, courage and commitment? The military life can be very challenging at times for young people, but trust me the sky is the limit. You write your own ticket. What ever you want they will give it to you if you work hard for it. You could go to college before, during or after the military. I know that I sound like ad for the military but man I really love what I do for them. I went in the Navy to be a Hospital Corpsman. I ended up with the Marines. That was the BEST duty. Good luck in your quest. It took me a couple of years of school after I got off of active duty but I got the job!

Comment

Go to college. But in the mean time, take the test for whatever department you want to get on. If you make it and get on, you will have the time to finish your college between during your career.

Start taking tests NOW. The more you take, the better chance you have.

As far as military, they do not make as much money as municipal departments. Also, most of them work 72 hour workweeks. Depending on what area of the country you take the test, you could work 42 or 56 hour workweeks. I myself would never even think of working for the military, but for some people that might be the way to go.

Good luck.
        Kevin M. Fitzhenry
        Captain, Rescue Company 1
        City of Bayonne (NJ) Fire Department

Comment

FitzBFDT2, thanks, and thanks everybody, but i dont know when, where, and what test to take, ive been studying EMT-B stuff for a while, but i want to get my class 1,and 2 FF and all that stuff, can yo give me a little info on tests (facilities, difficulty, learning) all the good stuff....thanks

Comment

If you would have asked a month ago I would not have hesitated...go to school while trying to get on a city job. If I were 18 again I would want to serve my country in the military somehow. This may be a long struggle. Follow your heart.

Fitz...were you with all the Jersey lads I saw at Cal Ripkens last game on Saturday night?

Comment

If you want military, and also go to college, try the Air Force Reserve or Air Guard. Same fire school as active component. There are Army Reserve firefighting units also. Same fire school as the Air Force. Except....you're in the Army. And they don't quite have the emphasis on fire protection like the Air Force does. If you have an interest in EMS, be a paramedic, if you don't, DON'T be a paramedic just to get a job.

Comment

i am interseted in EMS. but mainly with firefighting, but they go hand in hand now, here in charleston, and most other places, a firefighter is an EMT, its required, so it leaves no choice.

Comment

Easy Question

Keep going to school for two or three more years thats not much to ask. A become a Real Doc. Make the Big Bucks and you can still be a Volly too...

Comment

haha, big bucks are nice, but im not in it for money, im going to be a firefighter.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X