This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firehouse Family?

I firmly believe that if your a firefighter than you are a part of a great big family of wonderful people. Over the past 3 weeks I have heard alot about how firefighters are a big family. This is not the case on my department. We have about 30 members and I bet only about 3-4 of us are true friends that would back each other up in a minute. Than there is the other 26 members are back stabbing wolves that are just waiting to see or hear something to get the other in trouble. I was raised in a family of firefighters and know what a true firehouse family should be. I used to really love this proffesion but with the guys I work with it really makes it hard to. I know your saying that I should just got to another department. Its not that easy. The other departments arent that much better. What is happening to the fire service. Its turning into a bunch of winning, crying, back stabbing mama's boys. This proffesion is not for boys and girls it for Men and Women. Whats your opinion? They are all greatly appreciated.
    God Help those who don't improve themselves for the betterment of those who we incharge of..

Hey Dave... I totally agree with you man... The forementioned firehouse family is going down the drain. The fire department I'm with is compromised mostly of the same type of people you describe... Now I won't say that I haven't done stupid things and deserved some of the stuff Ive been dealt or disciplined for, but some of the stuff they accuse me of doing is just plain Bull **** and they know it... The department I am on is compromised of nothing but whiny little girls that can't stand when something doesn't go their way. I have been verbally abused majorly by many of them... I'm not talking about the traditional firehouse slamming... I'm talking cruelity and trying to break my spirit down. I have a mouth on me, that I will admit, but I am not an idiot like they treat me and I do not do the things they say I do which gets me constantly in trouble... Right now I am on a 6 month LOA which ends OCT. 31 and it is such bull what they got me for... DISOBEYING A DIRECT ORDER ON SCENE!!! THATS CAREER SUICIDE.... MANY OF THEM INCLUDING SOME OF MY OFFICERS ARE BACK STABBING B%*#&ES and I AM GETTING TIRED OF BEING PUSHED AROUND....

THANKS FOR THIS FORUM...IVE BEEN NEEDING TO VENT!!!!!

[ 10-08-2001: Message edited by: Adam Spencer ]
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

Comment

I hate to say it, but there are a lot of department that are like that. I know that I was luck enough to get stuck on the "Pain in the a**" shift. They took all of the people from all the shifts and stuck them together. This way no one else has to listen to them. Unfortunately for me, the guy that retired so I could get hired, was on just this shift.

Now I have friends on other departments and they don't have near the problems. Of course they are bigger deparments where people that complain can be stored away in remote stations where no one else has to be around them that much.

Comment

sgtdave202,

I was in your shoes a few weeks ago. Our department is fairly young and the new guys listen to the people that make the most noise. In our case, it's the ones that know the least that speak the loudest. They have no concept of a "firehouse family." I was fortunate enough to grow up around good firefighters so I got frustrated by it. That all changed on Sept 11th. I have a renewed sense of purpose to do my job with the spirit and integrity of our fallen brothers and sisters. I always gave my best before but now I don't care what the yahoos say. Keep your chin up bro. There's a lot more good firefighters out there than there are bad. Time will change your department. It's probably not the answer you were looking for but I hope it helps
        Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

Hey brother keep your chin up and grow thicker skin. Don't let the actions of a few tear you down. My department has one kick *** shift, one shift of bitchers and the other shift is just a bunch of sheep that could be led to a cliff to jump off. And they would do it too. Remember that we are all professionals and that sometimes being professionals that have their own ideas cause more problems then good. Starts to divide people and the back stabbing begins. Unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to unite my department. But when I do I'll let you know.

Comment

It is sad to see things the way they are. I am also on a small department that has a lot of infectious negetivity. I am fortunate to be at a station and shift that gets along really well. My engine company gets together on our days off and does things together. We work out and play raquetball at the local fitness center. We decided that we would try to have the best attitude and to hell with the other guys that want to complain/whine/cry about everything. We have some problems with leadership and support and I feel that is where the main problem lies. Not much a single FF can do to change the department, but on the other hand... if he tries to keep his chin up and tow the line... that is one less person causing dissension among the ranks.

Anyway...
            Just remember; We have the best damn job in the world. You can make the best of any situation, be it good or bad.
            Hang in there and try to find one or two other guys who are willing to make a change... It does help to have a few friends who are going to maintain their positive outlook with you.

be safe brothers
            Be safe brothers

Comment

As much crap as you read about my department,I am fortunate enough to be with some of the best guys in the world. We have an engine and truck that are both running companies. There are seldom detail men from other houses cause our rosters are full and guys seldom take leave. We try not to let embarassment of our management get to us.....we make our own fun!

Comment

Firefighters have two families...one they live with, one they work with. Both of them are interwined in many ways. Jakes hang out with other jakes. Jake's wives hang out with other jake's wives....it's like the firehouse schedule. We work by a different calendar than the 9-5 world.

Like any family, we have our "cast of characters". We laugh with each other, at each other, and insult each other. It's part of the firehouse camaraderie. We also grieve together. We are dysfunctional at times...the firehouse family isn't the perfect, but it is family nonetheless!

When things are going good, we are happy. When things are going bad, we get grumpy.
                When the tones go off, we work together as a team to get the job done! 'Nuff said!
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

IT ALWAYS TEARS ME UP A LITTLE WORSE WHEN I HEAR OF A MICHIGAN DEPT THATS LIKE THAT. I GREW UP IN THE PONTIAC AREA UNTIL ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO WHEN I MOVED TO NC. ANYWAY ITS A MORAL PROBLEM I THINK. TRY SOME SUBTILE YET EFFECTIVE TACTICS. CREATE A STATION T-SHIRT, PLAN A PAINTBALL TOUNAMENT OR SOMETHING EQUALLY INTERESTING THERE ARE A THOUSAND THINGS YOU CAN DO EVEN THE WIVES CAN GET INTO IT "WIVES CLUB" IT MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT I SWEAR IT WORKS. TRY IT
                  YES I AM A PROFESSIONAL FIRE FIGHTER AND YES I AM IN THE UNION

Comment

Very sorry to hear things are so bad for you guys. If moving isn't an option then you just gotta keep going. Hopfully you will outlive the a**holes and make you job a better place. It is funny how fast life changes. It is important to always be yourself this is the greatest job in the world. Sometimes we make life in the house hard on each other, I am going to work harder at being a good example and maybe make a small difference. My job is pretty good, we had an underground movement called woodchucks a few years ago who really made a difference. Hang in, pray, remember the goffy times come and go but the American Fire Service is the Greatest Job in The World
                    Be Safe, Be Proud, God Bless.
                    Your Friend and Brother
                    Bobby Halton
                    May the Good Lord hold you all safe in the palm of His loving hand till next we meet.

Comment

I am fortunate enough to have had my first station be a very "together" station. Chief and Asst. Chief were hilarious guys that everyone talked to and admired, even juniors. We also had things like team softball, and carwashes and stuff. And a lot of departments from this area's district would go help out other departments...sometimes just hang out, go to h.s. games and show support, etc. maybe you can get a few ideas
                      Angie

Comment

As silly as it sounds, a few years ago I was in a rock climbing class at the college. The people in the class couldn't see past who was better and who couldn't climb a set of stairs if they had guidance. The instructor booked us on one of those "ropes courses" where everyone has to help each other to achieve a common goal, like getting over a twelve foot wall with no equipment (everyone goes over!). Then they make it harder-- you cant talk, you can't see etc... There's all kind of other things like the dead fall (you fall off a platform backward and your "brothers" catch you).

Anyway, it sounds like you guys just need some team-building. And when the **** comes down, you will be one.

Comment

Sgt Dave,
                          I also a firefighter from a Michigan department have been f**ked by 2 members of my department. But I still think that the department as a whole is good. I believe that the group of guys(and a few girls) we have are a tight close knit family like the brotherhood we hear of. But it seams to be the few people who are not comfortable with themselves or to wraped up in political bulls**t to see what it is they could have with the rest of us. Personally I think that they are just jealous, little people, who are still wrapped up in all the high school games. To bad the rest of us have grown up. When I started we had the best group of guys, who took me- a girl- in and accepted me as an equal. They are my best friends, and they will always be with me. You go- we go. Thanks for letting me vent. But if you have any more questions about this topic, please feel free to drop me a note. I know way to much about it.

Thanks!!

Comment

I just wanted to thank everybody for thier comments and ask that if you have anymore to please post them.

LT01/101,
                            I sent you an email. If you can please respond. Thank you and god bless everybody.

SgtDave2002

God Help those who don't improve themselves for the betterment of those who we incharge of..

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X