No announcement yet.

HIRING STANDARDS FOR F.F.'S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This issue will never die until subjectivity is taken out of the hiring process. As I have often said, hiring should be a totally blind process where each candidate is given a number and the successful candidate is selected based only on how she/he scores in a number of categories. And yes, strength should be one of those criteria, as should knowledge, agility, deductive reasoning, etc., etc., etc.

Hiring based on quotas and minimum levels not only weakens the Fire Service but also casts a shadow of doubt and cheapens the accomplishment of any "minority" candidate who was hired because he/she was the best qualified and able candidate.

A hiring process is after all called a competition. Let it be one.

Comment

Oh you people!!

About 4 years ago my department hired it's first female FF. No one was sure of her abilities except her. She qualified under a joint recruitment exam system consisting of 9 area departments, ours being about the middle in size. She took the same written, agility, oral,psyche,and background as the rest of us "GUYS" She ended up pretty high on the list and was chosen by our dept as the #1 candidate based on her overall score. Yeah there were jokes and fun made of her, some questioned her abilities, yet she stayed stoic and played the game through her rookie year. She was assigned to my shift at my station (we only run 2-0 staffed)she had her own water tender to take care of. We worked exclusively together for two years before she promoted to engineer(scoring #1)then eventually getting hired with the large city dept.to our east. To this day whenever I get a new rookie I use the example she set to guage the overall performance of the FNG. I would trade all of them in to have her back. She worked harder, longer,and smarter then most of the knuckleheads since. I have even changed too, using the word staffing instead of 2 man, and firefighter instead of fireman. diabolical, there is hope for you just as there was hope for this old salt

hctrouble, if you are as good as you say you are you're welcome in my station anytime.
      IAFF

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X