This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Patrol in NYC. FDNY?

I've seen pictures and video of apparatus that has Fire Patrol on it? All of the information I can find on FDNY do not mention this unit. Is it part of FDNY? Tell me about this unit. Is it vollie? Better yet,what the hell are they.

Thanks.

They are a unit paid by the insurance industry to take care of business holdings. Somewhat of a salvage unit. This is vague but the best I can offer.

Comment

Many American cities were protected by fire insurance patrols over the years. By the late 1950's they were all gone except for the New York Fire Patrol which still maintains 3 (I believe) stations and companies. Generally their funding came from fire insurance policy premiums. Although they work side by side with the department, they were a privately funded, non-municipal organizations.
      Cincinnati F.D. History Site
      Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Fire Apparatus in America
      Youngstown Fire Forums - 40,000+ photos of Apparatus, Fire Scenes, etc.

Comment

So these units are paid, but what do they do? Do they go in after the fire and help with overhaul and salvage? Are they certified firefighters?

Comment

http://nybfu.org/firepatrol.htm
          IACOJ Canine Officer
          20/50

Comment

Dalmation, thanks for that link. I have seen some pictures and other skimpy info on the Fire Patrol, but that helps out a lot. Thanks!

Stay safe,

*Mark
            FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Comment

Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. It really helped me understand who they are. But it makes me wonder how they work. Do they get dispatched on there own or in conjunction with FDNY. Do they fall into the command system with FDNY or do they freelance? And are they considered the red headed step children in New York (the town jokes)?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X