This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourke Shields?

Some of our 80 firefighters have Bourke shields on their helmets. Some ordered helmets from the factory with them already on and others added them later. Our Chief is requiring everyone who has a Bourke shield on their helmet to remove it because they are not compliant. I understand they are not NFPA or CalOSHA compliant, but if they are accompanied by a pair of NFPA goggles, doesn't this make them OK? I also understand if you add them to a helmet, you essentially are altering the helmet and it is no longer warranteed by the factory. But, if they came from the factory installed on the helmet and you remove them, is this not altering the helmet and therefore make it void from the factory warranty? I would like anyones thoughts and expertise on this issue and if you can advise me of a written reference so I can present it to staff. Thanks for the help. Be Safe!
    Stay safe and remember, we didn't cause the problem, we're just there to help!

I'm no attorney,thank god, but I did some research on this for my helmet a while back. If the helmets have the goggles or shield on it and the "flips", it is still compliant. It is not compliant with just "flips". I got flips on mine and have the goggles around the back of the helmet.
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

Comment

IM NOT AN EXPERT BUT I AGREE THAT IS ALTERING A FACTORY INSTALLED HELMET.WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE ANYWAY AFTER THEY ARE IN A FEW JOBS YOU CANT SEE THROUGH EITHER.....

Comment

Having Bourkes alone does not make then NFPA compliant. You need to have a pair of goggles on you or something else to protect your eyes for the helmets w/ Bourkes to be NFPA compliant.

The N5A helmet from Cairnes, aka The New Yorker, is OSHA compliant though it is not NFPA compliant. If you add a pair of goggles onto them, then it is NFPA compliant.
        IACOJ Agitator
        Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

BOURKES+GOGGLES=NFPA COMPLIANCE. IT'S TOO BAD THAT ALOT OF DEPT.'S WON'T ALLOW US TO WEAR THIS COMBINATION. BOURKES HAVE BEEN ON MY FAMILY'S HELMETS SINCE THE 50'S, AND IN TRADITION I TOO WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEM. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU USED YOUR FACESHIELD? I ONLY USE IT ON EXTRICATIONS, AND THAT HAPPENS VERY LITTLE.....

Comment

The only reason bourkes are not NFPA to my understanding is beacasue if you use then as safety glases they don't cover your face, BUT if you use a faceshield it covers a little more but it is also not to take the place of safety glasses. So on mine I have a faceshield and goggles. and the goggles don't fog up on me so I like them better.

Comment

The N5A is NOT NFPA compliant even with goggles due to the lack of the puncture resistant layer of the N6A, hence the weight difference.

Comment

Personally, I prefer Brooke Shields!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...