This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scaried to death

i've been a "big strong fireman" for what seems like forever now, i grew up in the biz. i work full time as a 911 dispatcher and paid on call with city fire, i also work volly with rescue. anyway i was on a mva sunday it was over a cliff about 30 yards the under growth was a big problem making it hard to move around i was doing the
    extraction on the pass side of the veh, poped the door no big deal as we placed the pt on the backboard and started down to the bottom were the buggy was at ( the pt was in and out of coun.) i became entangled in the undergroth and had to remove my turnout coat to cont on with the pt, as soon as i did i got several scrratch from the brush about 30 later the pt begain thrashing around and his bloody head came in contact with my arms (were i just got the scratchs) i didn't really think about when we made it to the buggy and got the pt load he camly looked up at me and said " i'm hiv postive" i looked down at his blood all over my arms and begain to freak!some els took over pt care as i got out and begain to freak, i went into er were i was tested and so was the pt, he was postive with a high viral load and a very low t cell count, they start me on 6 different pills every 8 hours for at least the next month. i know i'am suppose to be brave but i'am scaried to death! has anyone had to deal with this! i believe the wait to see is going to "drive me off the deep end" the what if's are driving me crazy and the side effects of the meds are going to kill even if i didn't contract hiv!

I have been fortunate to this point. It only takes one incident though. You are in my prayers brother.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: NY Smokey ]
    Tom

Never Forget 9-11-2001

Stay safe out there!

IACOJ Member

Comment

I have never been in your shoes, but I am aware of some who have. The med process you are doing, from all accounts is not a happy one, but it sounds like you began treatments almost immediately, and that is a good thing. I can only offer my best wishes to you and to say: HOLD IN THERE BROTHER, WE ARE ALL AT YOUR SIDE IN MIND AND IN SPIRIT!

R.R., Malahat, BC: "Play safe y'all."
      Malahat27: "Play safe y'all."

Comment

listen, calm your fears. just remember this much, . . . live your life to the fullest, as was said by a volly/paid guy who I worked on, is no longer with us, spit a bunch of blood up in my face as I worked on him once said, ' live today like tomorrow is a rumor. ' in other words, live it up, regardless.

also as was once said in a film, ' every man dies, . . . not every man really lives. '

stay safe.

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]
        May God bless all the people and families who have lost
        their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
        [email protected]

Comment

Tone:

I believe that was a Braveheart quote: "Every man dies...".

It's a good one.
          We are all forever altered.

Comment

We will all pray for you, I am sure. If something does happen (hopefully not) just remember that it happened because you care about people and you volunteer your time to helps others in need. You will definately be rewarded for that, sweetheart
            Angie

Comment

My boyfriend was doing chest compressions on a gunshot victim. He was wearing gloves and all, but blood splattered across his arms and chest. When he was washing up, he found a fresh cut on his arm with the other guy's blood on it. The victim died, and a friend at the hospital told him the guy had AIDS. He started the meds right away, but stressed out for six months worrying about it. That was at least two years ago, and he stills tests out okay. I don't know how long you have to wait before they say you can quit worrying though.

I'm no doctor, but I think the body has a pretty good defense system. Once you have a cut, your blood immediately starts to clot at the site, and your blood pressure is pushing fluids OUT, so it's hard for fluids to get IN. If you're talking about scratches, there was probably minimal bleeding and the surface had already dried enough before you were contaminated so it would be pretty difficult to pick up something.

Good luck, and stop stressing out, stress only weakens your body's immune system.

Comment

Just wanted to let you know...I have a son with severe hemophilia. Due to his treatments, his dad and I have both had to be tested for HIV every six months since he was diagnosed 6 years ago. His dad was a firefighter at the time and was concerned that if he got a hot poke and later tested positive, what could happen to his brothers on the dept in an emergency. Per the hemotologist we were dealing with, the chances of getting it from a limited exposure were pretty slim. Most times when you work on a patient at an MVA, you don't know until after the fact that they were/weren't HIV+. It was kind of nice to have the reassurance from someone who deals with it daily. You have 2 things going for you: 1)early and aggressive treatment; and 2) the thoughts and prayers of all of us. You might check with your local hospital for a good hemotologist- they usually work in a team w/doctors, nurses, social workers, etc. and are more than happy to give you the best and most up-to-date info.
                Pepper

Comment

I'm sure you have heard the whole routine about chances of contracting something from the exposure, so, I'm not going to preach statistics. I wish I could do something more than tell you that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Just remember this, you are part of a family that deals with the rest of the world's heartbreak and misery. You are a special person no matter what. live each day to the fullest, and never forget that YOU ARE ONE OF US. It is ok to be scared, but, you will never be alone.
                  Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Comment

I stressed out about this a few years ago and all of the research I did told me that it is very hard to get AIDS. You almost have to be trying. And the part about scratches clotting very very fast is also true. It has to get into the blood stream and from what you said it doesnt sound like that could have happened. Worst case, you have to live with a reminder that you put the patient before yourself and helped save a life. Even if it costs you your own 30 years from now. And who wants to die in a nursing home anyway. Brother keep your head up, you have been heading toward the grave since the day you were born so its not really anything new.
                    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

thank you all for the information and words of courage! i keep u post 21 days to the next test. GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X