This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SENATE APPROVES 2.3 BILLION FIRE ACT MONEY

Please read Home (news) page of Firehouse.com for details.It is almost criminal in my opinion that 350 fire fighters had to lose their lives to wake these people to reality.
    Bob Compton
    IACOJ-Proud
    IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

It will be interesting to see if this new $$ will be for the same types of categories as this year or all go to domestic preparedness only.....
    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

I'm really, really curious what this reality is you speak of.

How many bunker coats do you need to respond to a terrorist incident? Fire Prevention funds? Trucks? Equipment? Or anything else in the FIRE Act.

Or is it simply politicians looking for feel-good legislation that has nothing to do with terrorism?
      IACOJ Canine Officer
      20/50

Comment

Hey, all those politicians need something on their record that's pro-fire. Everyone in America loves firefighters more than ever right now, so if you pass pro-fire legislation, you get more votes.

READ: vote-buying.
        Bryan Beall
        Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

IT's a classic case reacting from a situation. Which has been our history( Both political and in Fire service )No Pre-plan
          Who knows if we will ever be ready for another attack like this. Their is no dollar ammount to be put next to a Firefighters name, I fell our Government will in time, decrease or stop FIRE-ACT after the commotion has ended.
          Sad but mabey true...

Forgive me if I sound cold about this, but it's really what I felt.

Comment

DAL90 I'm speaking of the reality expressed by the numerous applications made for the negligible funds authorized and probably thousands more that didn't even bother to apply. This "1 bone for 50 dogs" concept was ridiculous in the first place. This is not an argument whether the Feds. should have gotten or be involved in the first place. There is a need across the country for 1st responder support to FEMA and we are GENERALLY ill equipped and trained to do this in all areas. Terrorism is another reality that isn't over. It's just getting started because our politicians let our guard down just as they did in 1941. Yes, I was for that one too.
            Bob Compton
            IACOJ-Proud
            IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Comment

And of those many, many FIRE Act applications, how many came from departments that protect areas that have a realistic potential for them to be first responders to a terrorist incident?

By their very nature, terrorists will strike high-visibility targets, and the vast majority of podunk towns out there never will first respond to a terrorist incident or WMD incident.

The funds of the FIRE Act do very little, if anything, to address those needs.

Most departments around the nation are much more likely to be needed to be called in as a "Second string" to another major bombing incident or bio/chem incident than they are to be the first responders. Probably even more likely, simply a standby or move-up if a metro area sees it's resources strained.

Handling preparations for terrorism, equipment to handle biological/chemical incidents, equipment to handle building collapse, and the knowledge to use that equipment aren't stuff covered under the FIRE Act.

The reality of responding to WMD attacks is not the same reality of responding to someone's house or business on fire -- there may be some similiarities, and some training may overlap, but there are still vast differences. The basic foundation of your fire department has to be in your local, county, and State government.

There are places were the Federal government has a legitimate role. Providing training and equipment for highly unusual incidents (quick, how many structure fires did we have in the U.S. last year? How many large scale terrorist attacks?), especially such incidents where the resources of multiple states will be needed, is an appropriate one. Providing the frame work for response. Providing communications & control systems for such responses. Providing enough equipment to meet those interstate responses. It isn't in meeting local needs the local, county, and State governments can and should meet on their own.

Matt
              IACOJ Canine Officer
              20/50

Comment

It's a touchy subject all the way around.
                On one hand; It would be nice to get some much needed funding (from any source). Old unreliable equipment being updated usually has a positive morale boosting effect for firefighters. And that helps many things out.

on the other hand; Dang if the federal government doesn't already get their paws into too many things.

My true opinion on this matter is this:
                We (citizens of the United States) are going to pay the bill for the fire service one way or another. Whether it be local tax increases, state tax increases, or federal increases who cares. Most local governments have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt, how they feel about proper funding of their fire services (they feel like Scrooge). Most state governments (with exceptions) feel that either the local or federal government should handle it. And the federal government is only concerned about what brings votes.
                It is truly sad that a horrible event like this must take place to even bring attention to the fire service.
                I agree with the idea that within a few short years, we will be back in the same rut again. I hope I am proven wrong.

be safe brothers
                Be safe brothers

Comment

And I wonder if all this money will go to central New York and wealthy departments all over this country like this last joke, or if they will accually get reasonable and fund the departments that NEED the money!?!

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: KBWVFD #8 ]
                  Volunteer(noun): Completely Under-paid Professional

Comment

Hello? Did everyone already forget about the podunk town in PA that had a major airliner crash into as a result of terrorist actions? One of the planes that crashed into the WTC flew right over my podunk town and could have easily been crashed in our coverage territory. If you are going to provide money to fire departments to equip them with the best/most needed equipment..then do it for them all. The Fire Act needs to provide more $ to more Fire Departments across the nation..including the smaller ones. Just because this attack happened in larger cities does not mean it will happen there the next time. And just because we might run "second string" into the city doesn't mean we don't need the training or equipment for the job. As an instructor of a terrorism/weapons of mass destruction just recently told me "always always wait for the second part of the attack. Terrorists never do one thing and move on..there is always a set of events and the second one is often worse than the first..they get you to react then they really scare the **** of you."
                    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

I just don't see how increasing the FIRE Act funding will benefit fire departments across the U.S. as far as prepardness for terrorism.

For years, the fire service has been complaining about the time and money that the government is spending on training the military to respond to terrorism. The main arguement, I believe, is that the nation's fire departments will be first-in on a terrorist attack. I think that we've proven that.

But what would your department spend a grant on to help you deal with terrorism? All the money in the world wouldn't have kept 350 firefighters from FDNY from dying on 9-11.
                      Bryan Beall
                      Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

I think fire service should be 100% locally funded, and if the feds would like to chip in, give everybody a tax cut that would be offset by a local tax increase that would all go to the fire service.

Yup, I know. Won't happen. Logistically impossible. But that would be the best.

We all know that wealthy FD's with power and FTE's (or the $ to hire grant writers) are going to take the rest of us to the cleaners, because we have unpaid and inexperienced people doing apps. But if FIRE stays around long enough, and if the process is fair, maybe it will eventually come back around to some of the FD's that need it worst.

So I say, let's make hay while the sun shines, since it appears to be the only hay we'll get to cut.
                        “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
                        ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

How much money (for the fire service) would it have taken to prevent any part of what happened or made any of this easier for the fire service (I mean by way of operations, not to ease our loses)?

How would it have done so?

How would it prevent a plane going down in Podunk?

Should every FD have a CFR rig for just such an emergency that, in all likelyhood, will never happen?

How much money would it have taken for our fallen in FDNY not to go into the towers? (hint - you probaby couldn't have paid them not too, it's not a money issue)

How would $1 billion better have prepared us for what we could never have expected in our wildest dreams?

How much does it cost to prepare for every possible event that could occur in your town?

Why is the failure of your community to adequetely support their fire department somebody elses fault?
                          It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

I agree the funding of a fire department should be a local issue. By the same token, the operations of a fire department should be a local issue. But - the funding problem is what I want to discuss not the many state and federal laws dictating how we operate. Is the problem really that the community is not properly funding the department or is the problem the community is not funding the fire department to the level the fire department desires. We all want better equipment, manpower, training, etc... but is that what our community really wants. I think in many cases the community is funding the fire department for the services the community wants that department to provide. We just want to provide everything.

Comment

I realize that all the funding in the world isn't going to make the FD's capable of stopping terrorism or preventing what happened at the WTC. However, I think the increase comes from the "My God, these guys were willing to and did give it all" reaction that people have had. Prior to September 11, I think a lot of people (especially politicians) have taken firefighters and the fire service for granted. Now suddenly they realize that these firefighters who have been screaming for funding are one of the best assets this Country has. Given this new "enlightenment," I think the politicians are trying to do the "right" thing in thier mind. I just hope that whoever has been whispering in thier ears keeps them interested in funding firefighting when the public interest begins to return to "normal."

[ 10-04-2001: Message edited by: no_name_FF ]
                              The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X