Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand that a number of trucks have been pulled off the line at KME and sent to NYC. This report came to me from a firefighter who was at the factory for the final inspection of their 93 ft mid mount tower when it drove away as they were walking up to it.

Comment

The ALF mentioned was sent immedietly to service with FDNY without a final paint job, graphics, or the traditional FDNY stripe down the side. Last I saw, those had been painted on, and the truck is currently in service as Engine 34. Not sure about any other ALF's going to FDNY. It can be viewed under the recent delivery section of the ALF website.

Comment

Thanks for all the information. I already knew what units had been distroyed but it was good info. for all who didn't know. I also know that the shops had repaired some units and gotten then back into service. To reply back to what McDonald said - FDNY is first and formost in our minds. We have strong connections there. Several of us have ridden with them in years past. We got info. about this horrible event early on and have kept in touch ever since. Now back to what I was looking for information on. PGFD had ordered county spec Seagrave pumpers. They are very similar to FDNY spec. except that they probally had 1250gpm or 1500gpm pumps and a few other bells and whistles. Keep posting information as you get it. Thanks and be safe. FGN

Comment

I know of nothing definate as far as what rigs were destroyed, or what new rigs are being diverted to FDNY, but a long time friend and FDNY f.f. has told me of problems with some of the rigs that were at the WTC and not damaged in the collapse. He told me of one rig that was on the scene and was diverted to another call. upon reaching that call the engineer noted the engines poor performance. The engine imediately died and could not be re started. The maint. people found that dust had basically ruined the engine of a 1 yr. old truck. So now it sits idle with out the engine. I was told all vehicles that were on scene were told to shut down if at all possible and wait for the shop to clean and clear them for duty again.

Comment

Just sharing what information I know of...

Ladder 5, had just recently recieved a brand new piece of apparatus. [As reported in Fire Apparatus Journal] Some of you may hve seen it being taken away on a flatbed truck. Apparently, the ladder was extended - and debris fell on it. The ladder had been removed from the trailer with a torch, and the tractor was being towed behind the flatbed by a wrecker.

The ALF Engine that was recently delivered to the FDNY was to be a demonstrator. It was supposed to be rotated through several companies - to be evaluated by the line firefighters. Many of you may remeber seeing an E-One several years ago, in FDNY regalia -- this too was a demonstrator that was evaluated by the FDNY - This was at the time that FDNY was bidding on the replacements for the Mack CF's.

About the engine trouble -- Remember that all these trucks (as most fire apparatus are) are equipped with diesel engines. Something as simple as a clogged air filter can cause cause poor engine performance. As for the 'engine' of the vehicle being completely ruined- I doubt it. While I was in the Marines, I was a Heavy equipment mechanic - and we serviced all kinds of equipment under all kinds of conditions. The type of damage you descibe didn't occur to similar equipment (engine wise) that we operated in a desert environment for months on end-- now you talk about dust....

Not saying that it isn't possible -- I just don't think that it's likely.

Godspeed - and God Bless our brothers in New York.

[ 10-05-2001: Message edited by: FF McDonald ]
            Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
            "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

Here's a link to American LaFrance's website- and a picture of the pumper they made for the FDNY to evaluate.American LaFrance - Web page -- New Deliveries
              Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
              "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

FDNY has now said on firehouse.com that they have not recieved any apparatus from any manufactures. They also said they are not recieving any apparatus from anyone and that the shops was working 24/7 to get apparatus back in service by repairing damage to apparatus. I also know that they initially repaired a few of the reserve pumpers or ones to be sold at auction and placed several back in service until these others could be repaired. The last CF Mack was taken out of front line service around July of this year. Just after this all happened there were several images seen of CF Macks answering calls other places in NY. I am still investigating the PGFD Seagrave pumper story. The county pumpers they buy are as close to FDNY specs as any out there and this seemed very considerable when I herd of it. The AFL must have been a demo already planned for FDNY or they just forgot to mention it, but it was definately dressed for the FDNY. I will keep you posted as I hear more on this. Be safe and pray for the families of those lost. FGN

Comment

This is a copy of FDNY apparatus lost during the reponse to the collapse of the WTC. This is according to the Firehouse.com reporters, and the head of the FDNY shops.

· 10 ambulances
                  · 2 EMS Suburbans, used by roving supervisors, carry extra supplies
                  · 24 sedans, used by staff chiefs, Ford Crown Victoria or Chevrolet Caprice
                  · 17 Suburbans, used by battalion chiefs
                  · 2 heavy rescue units
                  · 1 tactical support rescue unit, provided a 9000-watt light tower, 25 KW generator, Stanley hydraulic system, 14 foot boat with motor
                  · 2 high-rise units, provided crash carts, electric light generators and one hour cylinders
                  · 4 step vans, provided haz-mat support
                  · 1 mask service unit containing 300 SCBA cylinders
                  · 2 road-side emergency trucks, provided truck repair capabilities
                  · 1 satellite unit with a 2000 gal/min pump and deck gun
                  · 3 1000 gal/min squad pumpers with special tools
                  · 4 pumpers with 3 stage high pressure pumps
                  · 20 1000 gal/min pumpers
                  · 6 75 foot tower ladders
                  · 12 100 foot rear-mount ladders

And no -- I am not related to the McDonald mentioned in the story.

The Full story can be found : FDNY Suffers Huge Equipment Loss
                  Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                  "Got Crust?"

Comment

I understand that FDNY has five (5) Cyclone II/Saulsbury rescues on order. To my knowledge, the only other manufacturer that they are purchasing apparatus from is Seagrave. These are being done as add-on orders to previous contracts. I also heard that they are ordering some new aerial devices for reserve status.
                    GRC063

Comment

Does anyone have the list of compagnies who's trucks were destroyed ?
                      mattqc

Comment

seagrave has stated they will be able to build for fdny as well as other depts all ready waiting for rigs..to date the fdny has lost a total of 80 pieces of apparatus from 9/11/01..this includes engines,ladders,chiefs cars,battalion cars,heavy rescues,collapse units..
                        GOD BLESS ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE FDNY + NYPD

Comment

Keep in mind that of all the apparatus lost by FDNY -- only 45 of total number were produced by Seagrave-- the rest were made by a number of different manufacturers.

Stay safe.
                          Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
                          "Got Crust?"

Comment

Yeah, but even 45 is a big order to do so quickly for Seagrave...gotta give the Seagrave employees some credit, they too are really coming through to help get FDNY back on its feet.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X