This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDNY Apparatus Replacements or Stories

Has anyone herd of any departments who had new apparatus ordered and it had now been delayed due to the FDNY situation? Has anyone had any of their new apparatus delivered to FDNY instead of their department? Has anyone herd what FDNY is doing for apparatus due to this tragedy? Let me here some info as to what the buzz is out there.

Here is what I have herd so far. I department in western PA near Pittsburg had a new Seagrave 100' Ladder that was within days of completion at Seagrave and there apparatus is now being shipped to FDNY and a replacement is going to be built later to take it's place for the depatment in PA. The Prince George's County MD. FD had an order in for several Seagrave pumpers that were almost completed and they also are being sent to FDNY. They will have to be built again for the PGFD order. I am investigating these stories to check out the truth behind them. Anyone knowing or hearing anything please post it here. I can say if my department had a new unit ready for delivery and FDNY needed it, I would be all in favor of having another one built and waiting the additional time it would take pending our existing appartus could be utilized until then. I think most would agree. Take care and be safe. FGN

Comment

First off-- I am more concerned about the firefighters of the FDNY than the replacement of apparatus....

I haven't heard from any souces, a definite number as far as apparatus being damaged/destroyed.... no solid numbers.

I find it hard to believe that the FDNY would take non-FDNY specification pumpers... it would become a training issue for them. Unless they we altered to FDNY spec prior to delivery.

I have heard- and this is only a rumor- that Seagrave has geared up for 24/7 operations in order to replace the FDNY apparatus that were lost.

In any case - they have a considerable number of spare apparatus - no where near enough to cover all those lost - but still a lot.

Once again - I am more concerned about the fallen firefighters.... they will figure out the apparatus situation when they figure it out --
      Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
      "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Comment

Here's a reply that I received from a Seagrave dealership.

According to Seagrave Fire Apparatus, FDNY lost 37 units ranging from tractor drawn aerials to rescue pumpers. They are gearing up for 24/7 operations to accommodate replacement of these units, as well as
        filling existing orders. Seagrave also contacted 27 departments with recent eliveries, or soon to be deliveries to see their interest in selling their units back to Seagrave for resale to FDNY. I do not know how many, if any responded positively to this request.

A rig that was delivered to Golf Manor, Ohio this past week was declined by FDNY as it was configured far too much differently from their specs. I'm sure they want to keep the rigs that they receive fairly close to what is in service with their companies.
        Cincinnati F.D. History Site
        Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Fire Apparatus in America
        Youngstown Fire Forums - 40,000+ photos of Apparatus, Fire Scenes, etc.

Comment

I also heard from a reliable E-One dealer that Saulsburry (a division of E-One) sent two Rescue trucks to the city also under the same coditions as noted above.
          "What makes a person run into a building others are running out of?...Character."- Dennis Smith

www.elmirafire.org

Comment

While no apparatus was taken from us to go to FDNY, our radios were. We were just about to switch from a low band system to high band and even had the base units already delivered but motorola pulled all of our radios and sent them to FDNY. Since it was done becasue of the 9-11 attacks nobody around here is taking issue with it, and I personally would take issue with anybody who did.
            When the defecation hits the oscillation I'll be there.

Comment

My fire dist. decided that we were going to donate our old ladder since we couldn't sell it. It is a 1981 Pirsch 100' aerial with full equipment and the FDNY said they would gladly accept it. But since we were donating it to the ladder company right near the WTC, they said we had to keep until they had a place to store it. My heart goes out to all the firefighters and police officers who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

----------

Matt

Parsippany Fire Dept. Dist 5
              Parsippany, NJ

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: PTHFD5 ]

[ 09-30-2001: Message edited by: PTHFD5 ]

Comment

Trucks lost include:
                89 vehicles, including 18 engines, 13 ladder trucks and five rescue unit trucks. (I have heard 5, I have also heard that Res4cue is okay. My guess is that the second source is wrong and the truck was destroyed).

The engines, as far as I can tell so far are: Engine 204, Squad 1, Squad 18, Squad 41, Squad 252, Engine 1

The ladders, as far as I can tell so far are: Ladder 3, Ladder 5, Ladder 24, Ladder 18, Ladder 6, Ladder 35, Ladder 113, Ladder 114

The rescues, as far as I can tell so far are: Res1cue, Res2cue, Res3cue, Res4cue, Res5cue, Res3cue Collapse Rig

The misc. vehicles, as far as I can tell so far are: BN 9, BN 2, Field Com, Hazmat 1

Comment

daysleeper47,

Add FDNY Ladder132 to your list.

1261Truckie

Comment

There was a web page at the end of last week that listed all the apparatus. I tried finding it today, but couldn't. I am pretty sure it was on firehouse.com but I could be mistaken. Did anyone else see this?
                    IACOJ Agitator
                    Fightin' Da Man Since '78!

Comment

Joe-
                      10 House? They're first due....?
                      My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

A fellow firefighter of mine works for american lafrance and they had a demo truck that was up for bid for FDNY and it was on its way to a show on the 11th, the show got cancelled and the truck got put right in service. and now it looks like american lafrance and seagrave will split the order becasue they can't biuld that many truck in that amount of time.

Comment

My understanding is that Hackney is working 24/7 to replace rigs lost from them

God Belss those Heros.

Stay low - Be cool and Bend a knee for our borthers and sisters in New York.

Comment

Rescue 4's rig did survive and is in service. I understand that the High Rise unit was destroyed and that may be the 5th "rescue" piece that was mentioned.
                            Cincinnati F.D. History Site
                            Society for the Preservation & Appreciation of Antique Fire Apparatus in America
                            Youngstown Fire Forums - 40,000+ photos of Apparatus, Fire Scenes, etc.

Comment

The "10" house is first due. E10, L10. The fire house is across the street from the WTC. on Liberty St. The fire house is still there.
                              This space for rent

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X