This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire Grants? Someone look please!

Is the Fire Grant Program over? I haven't seen any postings on this site or any others. I don't know if it is because of the tragedy in NYC or if round 8 was it! I thought there were a couple of rounds left! I don't think we have recieved a rejection letter yet! All I do Know is that we are in desperate need of funding and it seems to me that the bulk of the money went to bigger, more funded departments. I also know that we are probably on of the "poorest" departments in the state, but we must have got looked over, AGAIN! Oh well! I guess I just need to wait for the rejection letter!
    Volunteer(noun): Completely Under-paid Professional

We also have not heard yet...but in the aftermath of all that has happened to the fire service and emergency response service in the past week, this is the last thing on our mind. We would gladly sign over our grant money to help the families and members of the FDNY and NYPD if we could.
    Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Where have you been? Here it is:

web page

Unfortunately, I don't see your dept.

Comment

Sorry that I got short tempered! I do realize that what happened in NYC was terrible and I feel that I have lost many brothers. I too would give anything to them that I could, but like I said, we are in desperate need of funding. Our SCBAs are getting very old and we also applied for new boots b/c they too are old and worn out. All but two pair are the 3/4 boots that have just been cut off. We didn't apply for a whole lot b/c we felt that there are probably other departments out there that need the money just as much as we do, but like I said earlier, It just seems that A HUGE BULK of the money is going to bigger, more "well off" departments.
        Oh,yeah! I just went to a site and foud that they have posted round 9 and again, we are not on the list!

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: KBWVFD #8 ]

Comment

well for our fire Dept we applied for for 4 grants(and i know the FIRE act was one one of them)
          3 out of 4 replied your getting no money and we're waiting to hear on the last one but i'm not holding my breath on that one.
          I would have been happy with even 10000(i know that sounds like a lot to you guys but 10 grand goes fast when you buy fire gear)
          It's not like we're a rich fire dept. cause we're kinda of the opposite. our newest truck is probably my truck(early 80's)(see my sig)
          we've sent 2 or 3 people to these classes that specialize in filling out fire grants and it doesn't seem to help.

Comment

KBWVFD#8 it does sound like your f.d could use some $. I am sure their are other grants you could apply for on the local level. Try calling the folks that are in charge of the fire service in your state like in n.c its the Office of State Fire Marshal they are in charge af all training, fire codes and so on here in n.c Even call the local officals in your community about grants you will be surprised of the grants that are out there. Some civic clubs and organizations in your area might have grants to give . You need to pick up a phone and start calling everybody you can think of. Good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I have checked in to the state and local grants, and it just seems that all the money goes to the north part of the state to the bigger, more funded departments, and the polititions wonder why the south part of the state is struggling with unemployment and high insurance rates. Well, the equipment that they expect us to use is so expensive we can't afford it and they don't seem to help us out any.

Comment

There are several organization that you could contact that will help you sponsor fundraisers..eg. American Legion,Elks,A.B.A.T.E.,The Emerald Society,among others.Look thru your phone book,then contact your Mayor,Governor,Even your local P.D. might assist.Best of luck to you!!

Comment

My Dept received the thanks but we are sorry letter from FEMA. I am very discouraged, i thought we had a chance. One of the poorest counties in NY State and they give out nothing. Take a look at the NY grants and see where most of the money went, CENTRAL NY!!!! My feeling is that no dept should have gotten more than one grant. Congrats to those depts that that got some. I will try again next year and the years after.. Stay Safe.
                  BE ALERT AND STAY ALIVE
                  Fire Fighter/Driver
                  TLVFD, NY

Comment

I just got my Thank you for applying, but you aint lucky enough letter too! They should have put "Nice try but you aren't rich enough to recieve even more of the governments money that the departments that we gave these grants to already had! You suck and you shouldn't have even applied, but too bad!" I doubt if we even apply next year! I hope they, whoever they are, read these posts and realize that "Hey, they really are poor! Maybe we should have given them some money instead of some of the largest departments in the Whole State Of Illinois!"

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: KBWVFD #8 ]

Comment

We got our letter too. The only dept to receive a grant within 60 miles of us is a career dept. We are in central ny. They received 150,000. I know that there were alot of depts in the area that put in for it as well and receive sorry but your to poor letters. I brought it up at our board meeting a week ago about next years grants and was told no its not worth the effort, i dont agree with it but thats there decision. We were hoping to get a newer tanker to replace ours that is leaking all over the bay floor at this time. It has become my opinion and only mine that if you can write a letter better than your neighbors, you'll get the grant. Its not a need issue, its how well you write! stay safe.

Comment

In my humble opinion the "program" isn't over. It's just getting started. You will see a whole new look at this program or a substitute along the lines of the police program. I'm sure Hal Bruno will have something to say about this in Firehouse Magazine in the future. My Washington connections say that a Ton of politicians will hop on the band wagon now. They have now figured out at the cost of more then 300 lives who the first responders are to fire, rescue, hazmat etc, etc, etc.
                        Bob Compton
                        IACOJ-Proud
                        IACOJ-HALL OF FAME-2003

Comment

Sounds like some of you need to quit feeling sorry for yourselves. My small rural department didn't get a grant either. Am I disappointed? Sure, we really could have used it, but I'm not going to sit here and cry about it. Instead, I'm more committed than ever to finding a way to get the things done that need to be done. In light of what happened to FDNY on 9/11, people are more sympathetic to firefighters than they may have ever been. Drop all of the complaining and find a way to get things done!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X