This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE BARBARIANS WILL LEARN

I rarely agree with the guy, but I found this an awesome article that pretty much lays it out...

THE BARBARIANS WILL LEARN WHAT AMERICA'S ALL ABOUT

By Leonard Pitts Jr.
    Syndicated columnist

They pay me to tease shades of meaning from social and cultural issues, to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard. What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed. Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause. Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve. Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, cultural, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae, a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement.

We are fundamentally decent, though peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people, you, perhaps, think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals. Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel.

Both in terms of the awful scope of its ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, indeed, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before. But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain.

When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice. I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

You see, there is steel beneath this velvet. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold. As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

Still, I keep wondering what it was you hoped to teach us. It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're about. You don't know what you just started.

But you're about to learn.

(Thanks Leonard - mongo)
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Thanks mongo and author, my thoughts exactly. Let's stay united in this cause. Unfortunately, the vocal minority that everyone listened to before last week is again rearing its ugly head. I cannot believe some of the retoric I have heard the last few days. Let's hope the "anti-retaliation" crowd doesn't blow holes in our nation's resolve.

Comment

Had to say thanks Mongo. Good stuff.

Comment

I heard someone read this over the radio, and only caught some of it, but after reading it fully now, the shivers continue down my back and my heart pounds even stronger.

Great piece of work which sums up our (USA's) situation.

Be safe God bless fellow Americans, and continue to be strong.

[ 09-19-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]
        May God bless all the people and families who have lost
        their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
        [email protected]

Comment

the "anti-retaliation" crowd

Arrrg! That crowd annoys me! They expect America to sit back and pick flowers and talk about peace and love! They are content to live off the fat of our land and yet they aren't willing to lift a finger to make America remain America. The anti-retaliation crowd should go to the WTC rubble and dig through that twisted steal with their bare hands searching for survivors and body parts before they think of saying jack about retaliation. If we DON'T retaliate then every dang terrorist on this planet will think they can just waltz into our beautiful country and kill us off whenever they please!
          It's justice we seek! And it's justice we shall get! These animals will soon find out what America is made of and all the anti-retaliation folks can just be quiet and be Patriots!!!!
          Probie Name: HurryUpMichelle!!

Comment

Mongo, I am sitting here, trying to come up with words that I see fitting for this article, but I am at a loss. I can say nothing but thank you. Thank you for posting such a patriotic statement for all of us to read.
            Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Comment

"You monster. You beast. You unspeakable bastard." I believe those were the very words running through every American's head as we watched the second plane hit the WTC and realized, in unimaginable horror, that this was no accident. I am ALL for retaliation, but let us please try to fight the right people. Kill Bin Laden, destroy the Taliban, hunt down other terrorist cells, and punish the country's that harbor them. But also realize that Afghani citizens fear and hate their government probably as much as we do (hate their gov't). Indiscriminate bombing of civilian populated areas would only help to further the Tabliban's goal of oppression of its people. I want to get these guys as much as everyone, but we should avoid, in being blinded by rage, beating the sh*t out of the wrong people.
              "...you're such a gentle soul, it's killing me to know, when will i see your face?" -Vince Gill

Comment

Think of terrorist cells as a cancer in infancy.Now how do you deal with a human with cancer in it's earliest stages.You exorcise it of course.What happens if you don't? We know the answer to this too,and the liberal pacifists in this country had better get a grip.Either you seek out and DESTROY these terrorist cells or this "cancer" will be the death of this country as we know it.This is not an option,it is REALITY.Our President knows it and is assembling a team of "surgeons" as I type this.He has a plan and we as a nation need to support it in the weeks and months ahead.The candy a**ed liberals with their "sanctions" are the ones who helped get us in this mess to start with.They never should have stopped in Iraq until they snuffed Saddam.We are whether we like it or not revisiting the events of 12/7/41 albeit this time with a less identifiable enemy,but pacifism this time will not cure the problem.T.C.

Comment

Heard somethings today on the radio out of Boston.

1. America is like two Irish brothers in a bar brawl with each other...They might be fighting with each other, but god help the sorry bastard that gets between them because they will recieve an *** kicking they will never forget.

2. The comedien Denis Leary, who has been a Really great friend to the Worcester Fire Department, and now has set up a fund for FDNY, was saying and forgive me im paraphrasing here,"someone wants to build the WTC again, give that money to the Firefighters, because we are going tobuild the WTC IN AFGANISTAIN after we level it."
                  and when asked what he thought about the Taliban asking bin laden to leave the country.
                  "great send him to new york city. i think some firefighters want to talk to him"

again I apologize if I misquoted MR Leary, but believe me he is a great and valuable friend to the fire service

Comment

Hey Mongo, I posted this very same article on Sep 14, except I posted it under "Words of an American", which is how I received it from my cousin in Florida. I guess great minds DO think alike
                    Guinness....a meal in a can!
                    IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

sorry Mongo, . . . i'm lit like a christmas tree and needed to reread this one more time ( as should everyone)

God bless the firefighter / emergency workers!

[ 10-03-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]
                      May God bless all the people and families who have lost
                      their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
                      [email protected]

Comment

Thanks for sharing that Mongo I hadn't seen it and it's a great article.

God Bless The Fallen and Their families..You Will Not Be Forgotten
                        You gain strength courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...you must do the thing you think you cannot do.
                        - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

dmsmith

Sorry amigo, I didn't mean to steal your thunder.
                          It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

No problem bro, as long as the message gets out who cares?
                            Guinness....a meal in a can!
                            IACOJ, Flatlander Division

Comment

OBL,, when some Special Forces puts a 7.62mm round thru his head they should give the soldier the $25 million reward. I'd go over there for that kind of money but I'm too old and can't climb all those hills. PLEASE take the bastard out with a nice clean shot and let this world go back to normal, with the middle east quarling, and the senate arguing, but at least we can see and understand. I can't understand how a person , in the name of RELIGION kills some
                              5850 people like it's nothing. If they do bring them back they should drop them off at the WTC in a small cage so the familys can see them before they tear their arms off and beat them to death with their own arms. That is the least we should do for this guy. : Yeah I'm mad, but I think that in the next 48 hours we will move on this pile of [email protected] and take him out. As far as I'm concerned they should level the whole country where the Teleaban are and make a sand pit out of it. I lost brother firefighters there and a distant reletive as well, so I have a right to speak, and I'm going to the funnual to try and make some sense of all this.
                              God bless AMERICA, and God Damm OBL.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X