This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FDNY-EMT shocked, heart broken, and saddend

I can not believe what my eyes have seen.

I've seen terrorism, in a town i once (as crazy as it sounds) felt safe in, turn into a war zone.

I always dreamed of working in/for nyc, and used to look at the city skyline, and tell myself, 'someday i'll be working there (for the city)'. They mentioned in the academy about 'Weapons of Mass Destruction' and MCI training, but no one ever could have ever imagined what transpired on 9-11-01, the worst tradgedy in the U.S.A.'s history.

I was there for over 15 hours on tuesday, and could not believe what I had responded to. Not being stationed in Manhattan, I drove into my station and then comendeared a bus (basically told the supervisor we were goin!!!), and it took us about 45 mins to get into MN, just as the towers started to fall. I was less than two blocks away when Tower 7 fell, and after witnessing that, could not even imagine how it was to be there to witness the 110 story towers go down. The feeling of helplessness overcame all who worked there tuesday, and yet the New York / American spirit flourished through all who responded. Not to sound cold or harsh, but you can not appreciate it w/o being there. Pictures on tv and in the papers can only do so much. The overall sights, the sounds, etc. It brought many NY'ers to tears, where they stood.

I had the honor of working the on scene morgue friday for over 15 hours, and helped in the transporting of some firefighters to Bellevue (bourough morgue). 3 from squad 18, 1 from i can't remember where, and personally transported the ff from Rescue 1. It was heart wrenching!

Seeing their brothers carry them in on a stokes, putting their remains on the morgue table, and being told who they were made every part of my body ache.

There are many more people in there who need to be brought home so their families can have closure, and so that they can rest in eternal peace. May God bless all who were affected on 9-11-01, and may those who caused the tradgedies of this day be forewarned, . . . your days are numbered.

By far one of the happiest moments was driving into NYC on friday evening. A bunch of citizens lining the street corners on Canal Street, and West Side Highway who had signs, candles, and loud cheers . . . louder as you'd wave back or give them a little noise over the siren. They make the personal sacrifices all worth it. Thank you, citizens of NYC, for being their when
    WE needed a little help.

Don't pray for me, I eventually came home to see the sun rise on 9-12-01.

[ 09-16-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]
    May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    [email protected]

We are here for you..... We all grieve as you do...

God Bless you
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Toneloc177...we can feel your pain. One of our firefighters is part of the DMAT-1 team from Massachusetts. He called the firehouse the other night to let everyone know that he's okay and he said that the images we have seen on television and still photographs are literally "the tip of the iceberg."

They have been treating the rescuers who have been getting injured in their efforts...lots of lacerations from sharp steel and broken glass, sprains, fractures and exhaustion.

Firefighters of the New England USAR team have been working around the clock in 12 hour shifts searching through the rubble.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the rescuers and our fallen comrades and the families of the victims from the WTC and the Pentagon.

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: Captain Gonzo ]
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

toneloc, all our best wishes are with you and your brothers, if we could share the burden of what you have had to see and endure we would do so.

Comment

toneloc177:
          Just think; not that long ago, we were all engaged in a debate about the stuff going on in DC. Look at how quickly it changed. In the blink of an eye, murderous cowards came out of the shadows and exacted unspeakable horrors onto an innocent public. They targeted civilians for the shock value of that. And now the psychological effects are coming into play. You have the brothers of the fallen firefighters digging in the hopes of finding survivors and I am confident that they will. NYC firefighters are some of the finest and TOUGHEST firefighters in the world. You have the EMS there, waiting to treat survivors, but have not been able to. Now, we are hearing that they are turning volunteers away as the rescue becomes more organized. This affects the volunteers.
          I am afraid that this is going to affect everyone differently for a very long time. But, everyone in NYC and DC need to know that they don't have to do it alone. Like you, they can verbalize it, memorialize it; whatever is more comfortable for them. I can't feel your pain. You're down; all's that I can offer you is a hand up. I don't think any of us who aren't there can imagine the depths of your anguish. Hell, where I live, if a strong wind knocks over some corn, that's our big news day. But what happened on 91101; man, it is still tough to watch it on TV. Horrific scenes.
          Stay focused and return safe. And if you just want to rap or something, I'll be here.
          Our lives are changed forever.
          Visit www.iacoj.com
          Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
          RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Thanks again to all those with whom I have conversed and had the pleasure to disagree with over the few months I've been in the forums. It was great stress reliever of sorts to try and get points across, no matter how different your points of view were from mine. I know they even were a bit more sick and twisted at times due to sipping on some red, white, and blues (i.e. Budweiser's), and although some responses were a bit clouded, you guys would help guide me through. I appreciated it, and just wanted you to know.

Stay safe, God bless, continue to stay strong, and no matter what happens today . . . the sun will rise to tomorrow.
            their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

e-mail always accepted @
            [email protected]

Comment

To my Brother toneloc177,

I was on days off when all of this happened. For two days I sat in front of the tv in total disbelief. When I returned to work I just wasn't the same. Dazed, confused, feeling helpless were just some of the emotions that were running through my mind. If I could drop everything to just come help somehow...well I am sure we all wish we could.

We here in Saskatoon, have been thinking and praying for all those who were lost in New York. We all share your pain...we might be far away but we are all close at heart.

Be strong brother...there are those all over this world that are there for you in your time of need.

To all the brothers and sisters that lost their lives God Bless, your names will never be forgotten. To the families who lost a loved one, may God give you strength to carry you through this time. To the rescuers that work day & night, may we all give you the strength to carry on when you need it the most.

Shauna Tanner
              FF/EMT
              Saskatoon Fire & Protective Services

Comment

[ 09-23-2001: Message edited by: toneloc177 ]

e-mail always accepted @
                [email protected]

Comment

toneloc177....If there is a way to lighten the burden, many of us here would do it.I grew up 45 minutes from upper man. and could be in the city in 45 minutes. The pictures on TV that day just ripped my heart out, and knowing pictures never do some scenes justice, knowing that the city has changed forever,and the souls lost, that's unthinkable. It hurts to see the pictures on TV, it hurts to see the wall of the missing and it hurts to see the rescuers faces wanting and hoping to find someone else alive. Stay strong my friend and be safe. You did a graceous act, by just being there....And all of America right now is trying to deal with broken hearts. God Bless.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X