This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to stay?

Brothers and Sisters, some of us from my department are going to make the trip to NYC to pay respect and tribute to our fallen Brothers of FDNY, NYPD, FDNY EMS and the Port Authority. However, as you can imagine, we are strapped for cash, and do not know the NY area. Any help and information you can provide to me will be GREATLY appriciated and won't go unnoticed. Please e-mail me directly at: [email protected]

Thank you!

*Mark

The info that I've seen says that the memorial on the 23rd is just a rumor.

I can't imagine them stopping the search on Sunday so they can have a memorial. They need to account for all of our missing brothers and sisters before they have the memorial.

They would also need time to set up security for all of the emergency services personnel from across the country that will come to New York to pay their respects. Could you imagine the ramifications if another terrorist act of war were to occur against so many of us gathered in one place?
    Living the dream...

Comment

Although I havent heard anything official about the memorial a respected chief who is very close with many members, officers and chiefs of FDNY has informed me about it so I think its safe to belive that it will go on on sunday.
      Stay Safe!!! FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

Whiel this is much more horrible than the worcester disaster....I am sure that once you get close....like new jersey...you can find a fire station to stay at. My son is planning on going and a member of ther group has relatives there...they will be staying there. I also would like information about the memorial... I am planning on going.
        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
        ------------------------------
        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
        BMI Investigator
        ------------------------------
        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

We have heard the rumor about Memorial/No memorial this coming weekend. We would like to come out for a few days and pay tribute and respect to as many Brothers and Sisters as possible in that time frame. At this point we do not have a definate date set. Just looking for suggestions, help and guidance.

Thanks!

*Mark

Comment

When the date is worked out for the memorial service someone let me know. I am sure that there will be several from my department coming to NY for the service. Please contact me at [email protected]

Stay Safe.

Comment

As for a place to stay, go to the Javits center at 11th and 34th which is the volunteer command post. FEMA is still putting people up in hotels as far as I know.

Comment

Memorial Service Information:
                There are NO firm plans for a Memorial Service for firefighters, EMS and rescue workers. There is a citywide prayer service for all victims tentatively on next Sep. 23, but it is NOT a Fire/EMS specific Memorial Service at this time. Such a such a service may be weeks away, FDNY officials said. We will post the information as soon as it becomes available. There is no need to make travel plans as yet.

This is from the Firehouse.com home page.
                Living the dream...

Comment

No Fire Fighter Memorial Service is Scheduled in New York

Sept. 17, 2001, 1 p.m. – Despite erroneous news reports, there is no memorial service scheduled in New York to honor the hundreds of Local 94 and 854 members missing in the wake of the terrorist attack on the city on Sept. 11.

CNN and other networks have reported incorrectly that the City had organized a memorial service specifically for fire and rescue personnel. They have since retracted those stories following announcements by FDNY.

What is scheduled for Sept. 23 is a citywide prayer service for all city residents who were impacted by the World Trade Center tragedy, to be held in Central Park. It is not an event for fire and rescue personnel and IAFF members are encouraged to stay away from New York.

The City is not currently able to handle the influx of visitors. The transportation infrastructure is taxed, some access points are closed or restricted, and air traffic is far below normal levels.

If and when a memorial service is scheduled, General President Schaitberger said, “The IAFF will immediately notify affiliates through its web site and other means of communication.”

Schaitberger said that the IAFF will move quickly to ensure that all members are informed of any such service to honor our brothers of Uniformed Firefighters Association Local 94 and Uniformed Fire Officers Association Local 854.
                  Living the dream...

Comment

Thanks for setting the record straight Jock.

Not to diminish the outpouring of sympathy in any way but... Look guys, everyone wants to help and everyone wants to pay their respects. That is a beautiful and inspirational thing to see. Rest assured the word will get out when and where the service is to be held. If nothing else, just keep an eye on Firehouse.com's main page.

If you do come, and I hope as many as possible do, please, please try to be self sufficient. That is the professional thing to do. Get a hotel room and split the cost...put 6 guys in there and sleep on the floor. Stay with friends or relatives but please don't burden local firehouses with your needs. The brothers there are grieving and trying their best to cope with this tragedy as well as providing service to their communities. FEMA will not be able to put up all out of town firefighters in a hotel nor should they...30,000 of us showed up in Worcester, how many do you think will show up for this? Twice that amount? Probably more. They are struggling just to accomodate the guys involved in the ongoing rescue work. Thanks.

[ 09-17-2001: Message edited by: NozzleHog ]

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X