This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mourning bands on badges

I know this may not be the proper place to post this but we have a dilemma at our Sta.
    our badges our of contemporary design and some of us feel the mourning band should go across (diagonal) from left to right just like when you put your hand over your heart, however our Asst Chief says it should go straight across covering up the center seal.
    can anyone tell me which way is the correct way to wear it?...any can all comments would be appreciated.

The point is to wear it. I do not think it matters if diagonal or straight. Some even use black electircal tape. The whole thing is out of respect and honor to our fallen brothers... Just do it!

Be safe!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

we are wearing them we just want everyone to look the same. right now we are in a P*****g match with our asst chief over petty things. and this is one of them. thanks for your advise.

Comment

If it helps settle the arguement ....

Every funeral I have been to, and every funeral I have see pictures of, the band is horizontal. In some cases, the band also has a small ribbon, which would look silly if diagonal.

The point made by captstanm1 is a good one also, just do it !!

By the way, why are you arguing with an Assistant Chief about this when over 300 firefighters are dead. Priorities, man!!
        Tom
        The Fire Service ... where there is a right way, a wrong way, the Chief's way, the Deputy's way, the Captain's way, the Lieutenant's way ....

Comment

Not to over simplify this, but the badge and the manner in which it is worn is a matter of uniform. The manner of uniform wear should be determined by the commanding officer. So, be it the Chief or the Asst. Chief, whoever has the most bugles is the person who determines the "uniform of the day." Be it horizontal or diagonal, whichever the commanding officer orders is how it should be worn. To do otherwise is insubordinate.

If you don't agree with that order, you still need to follow it while you appeal it to a higher authority.
          Richard Nester
          Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Gall's has a photo of the band displayed over a badge. That is what we are using for guidance.
            Louis A. Szymanski
            Battalion Chief
            Eglin AFB Fire Protection

Comment

I find it distressing that a so called "Argument" is being had in any firehouse in this country over the way we wear our signs of respect. I ask that you stop the discussion and look at your badge and realize why it is covered and then look at each other before you begin this discussion again. It matters not how it is worn but why it is worn and although I am sure that one or two people might notice it being worn differently than the majority, it still doesn't matter. The FDNY will not care, the family of our lost brothers and sisters will not care nor should you. Look at the bigger picture and decide what is important. We stand at a time in our careers when we may be fighting for the safety of our nation, our communities, families and each other.

Comment

To ltarson,
                AMEN brother.
                Be safe out there!!!

Comment

We dont wear badges anymore. They put us in these attractive Polo type shirts. Is there any standard on how to wear something to like a cover on these type of shirts. We have our patch on the right breast and our name and rank on the left.
                  My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

Waterboy, the practice of covering the badge with a band of cloth is a replacement for wearing mourning arm bands. Therefore, if you have no badge, it would be proper to wear a black mounring band on your (I think it is right) arm.
                    Richard Nester
                    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Comment

Horizontal for badges

Diagonal for emblems & seals on apparatus, station, etc.

Comment

We got a page today, we are going back to the old style shirst with the badges, covered. Thanks for the arm band answer.
                        My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X