No announcement yet.

D.C.Few won't let women get pregnant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was hired (before few) my academy instructors made it VERY clear that during my first years, i was on Probation, and could be terminated WITHOUT CAUSE.

If I was hurt off the job, and ran out of sick leave, I'd most likely get terminated.

If I was hurt on the job, they COULD terminate me, but probably wouldn't, as long as it wasn't career ending...however, I needed at least 5 years on before I could be retired.

Getting pregnant is sort of like being hurt off the job. Sure, it's more likely to happen to women, but what can you do about that?

The gist of the problem is just like the hair was...sure, he may be in the right, but he goes about it in a manner seemingly contrived to make himself look stupid.

Comment

Accidents happen..... Good thing they do or you guys would be out of a job.....

How the hell can you say a woman should be terminated if she gets pregnant on probation. This is ridiculous. Pregnancy is a way of life. After all, it's how MOST of you idiots got here. Maybe your mother should have been an EMT/Firefighter and then we wouldn't have to read garbage like "Keep your legs shut....blah blah blah..."

Here's an idea.... try taking your neanderthal like hands off the keyboard when you type hair-brained crap like that...

Comment

Abstinance is a way of life, too.

If a female probie can't go on the pill or abstain for her probation status then she and her man have a problem.
        "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
        -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Comment

Do you people live in a hole in the ground.... accidents happen......

Comment

CAKelly -

Here's an even better idea for you. Stop treating women like naive children who can't control themselves, or whether or not they get pregnant. Apparently, I have a much higher opinion of the female gender than you do.

I just love "feminists" who denigrate and demean women by constantly casting them as victims, poor little things that need other people to do their thinking for them. "Ooo, ooo, we can't control pregnancy...accidents happen...we're just little victims, totally seperate from the process and the decision that got us into this situation. We can't be held responsible, because we're just little girls that don't really know HOW we got pregnant. It just happened."

And I love this line, CAKelly: "Pregnancy is a way of life." Boy, did YOU say a mouthful. Yep, it certainly is a way of life for some welfare whores. Are you trying to say that female firefighter candidates are welfare whores? Is it really a "way of life" to get pregnant?

Come on, really. Are you that naieve? Or worse yet, do you think THAT little of women, that they simply cannot abide by a sensible regulation because Lordy, who knows when the pregnancy fairy is going to drop a precious bundle into their belly?

I think you really need to re-think your low opinion of women, CA.

Here's an idea.... try taking your woman-hating hands off the keyboard when you type hair-brained crap like "Pregnancy is a way of life"...
            "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

I just love "feminists" who denigrate and demean women by constantly casting them as victims, poor little things that need other people to do their thinking for them. "Ooo, ooo, we can't control pregnancy...accidents happen...we're just little victims, totally seperate from the process and the decision that got us into this situation. We can't be held responsible, because we're just little girls that don't really know HOW we got pregnant. It just happened."

Boy, your a candidate for the "I hate that I have a penis poster"....

And I love this line, CAKelly: "Pregnancy is a way of life." Boy, did YOU say a mouthful. Yep, it certainly is a way of life for some welfare whores. Are you trying to say that female firefighter candidates are welfare whores? Is it really a "way of life" to get pregnant?

I didn't say anything about anyone being a whore. Your are the one implying that maybe, just maybe, there are female firefighters that would abuse the system. My point IS ... IF it did happen, why should she be punished.

Come on, really. Are you that naieve? Or worse yet, do you think THAT little of women, that they simply cannot abide by a sensible regulation because Lordy, who knows when the pregnancy fairy is going to drop a precious bundle into their belly?

....used the word "fairy"... posterboy maybe for something else.....

Here's an idea..... try opening the cardboard box you live in and seeing a different point of view....QB][/QUOTE]

null

Comment

NEWS FLASH*NEWS FLASH*NEWS FLASH*NEWS FLASH*
                GOD SUED FOR DISCRIMINATION

Associated Press: A law suit filed today in a Washington D.C. court today naming GOD as a defendant in a discrimination case. The plaintiff, whose name was not released as of yet,claimed that her rights were violated when she discovered that every time she had sex with a male, SHE was the one who always got pregnant. Plaintiff was quoted as saying...."This is definitely unfair, I believe GOD was sexist in his creation of humans. I don't think it should always be the woman who becomes pregnant..."
                Attorney Johnny Cochran will be representing the plaintiff in this case on account that he thinks he is greater than GOD anyway.

Comment

Diane

Amazing the way people think. It's like school teachers getting pregnant in the spring so that they can be out of school on leave after October!

Careful Diane, NOW will revoke your status as a woman

CaliFire

but can't we all agree a pregnant probie is a useless probie?

I can.

hctrouble25

The problem I have is that men are not able to get pregnant, so if a male fire fighter gets a woman pregnant it does not affect him (he has to quit his job) in the same way it affects the woman who got pregnant.

Hey, what happened to the "life's not fair" attitude you had yesterday?

...and she still gets pregnant then she has to have an abortion or leave the department? That hardly seems right.

I don't think she should have an abortion, but I do think she knew the rules when she hired on, if she screws up, adios, same as if a guy breaks the rules.

Be that as it may, the letter Few sent out said their applications would be re-einstated after their condition no longer exsists, which also means the baby is born.

Should we as women be punished because we can have babies and men cannot?

Well just WAAAA.

Silver City 4

Probies have to follow rules. This is one of the rules.

C'mon, we got to have different rules for different sexes.

it will be very hard to prove that any male has had sex.

Not after looking at the goofy grin some of them git.

BucksEng91

What can I say, excellent post!

xchief

Its not Hysterical I am just pointing out facts.

Naw, you spun it to make it look more sensational than it is and you ended up looking...

FF's SignfOthr

If a probie ends up pregnant, make her start over when she comes back (if the job is still available).

Which is just what it sounds like they're going to do.

If she can't take maternity leave, then he shouldn't be able to take paternity leave during probation.

Amen.

That should help even it out a bit.

Just to people with common sense, the rest will just be ****ed because guys can't get pregnant so the policy ain't fair.

toneloc177

America - the double edged sword

. . . but it sure beats out our competitors.

Interesting point of view, but we sure do beat the competition hands down.

CAKelly

Accidents happen.....

Not in these cases. It ain't no accident, it's bad planning.

Good thing they do or you guys would be out of a job.....

What?

How the hell can you say a woman should be terminated if she gets pregnant on probation.

Did she know the rules? YES

Did she get pregnant? YES

Is it a violation of the rules to get pregant while on probation? YES

Could she have prevented that situation? YES (any number of ways)

She willfully violated the rules and conditions of her probationary period, just like any guy that willfully violates the rules and conditions of his probabtionary period, they should be terminated.

This is ridiculous.

I agree

Pregnancy is a way of life.

A way of life? I thought it was a fact of life. If it was a way of life then some gal wouldn't have time to be a firefighter, she'd be pregnant all the time.

But I digress

After all, it's how MOST of you idiots got here.

Really? What about the stork and lettuce leaf stuff?

Maybe your mother should have been an EMT/Firefighter and then we wouldn't have to read garbage like "Keep your legs shut....blah blah blah..."

Maybe your parents should monitor what you do on the computer then we wouldn't have to read your word of wisdom.

Here's an idea.... try taking your neanderthal like hands off the keyboard when you type hair-brained crap like that...

Personally, I just use my fingers. Here's what it looks like when I typed with my hand - uohulugybiugybwav

My point IS ... IF it did happen, why should she be punished.

Did she or did she not know the rules?

Should a person be punished for violating the rules?

Or just the rules YOU agree with?

Hey, did you vote for gore or nader?
                  It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Comment

It's very simple, if you want to get a job with DCFD, wait until you're done with your probation period before getting pregnant. If you'd rather have children, then go ahead and have children.

Like any other job, in the beginning, you might have to act a little differently, maybe even kiss *** for a little until they figure out that you really want the job and can do good work.

It's all about choices. Newsflash CAKelly, some choices suck. Which do you want more - you'd better decide 'cause you can't do both. Wow, it was a whole lot easier before women decided they wanted to fight fire. Okay, just kidding.

Comment

I was going to say I was sorry for even bringing the subject up but after what Bucks just said I .am now glad I did. I just don't think that bucks likes women in the fire service he must think they are inferior and should stay in the kitchen How about it buck ?

Comment

If a female cannot keep her legs closed during her probation, she has no excuse for losing her job. The chief is telling her that right up front. There's no "gotcha" involved - the rule is there, the rule is clear, and its purpose is clear.
                        What the hell are you talking about?! A woman needs to "keep her legs closed"? Please! What about the male fire fighters screwing all over the place? I was not making it a female vs. male thing buth rather a how can you dictate that a woman not get pregnant when accidents happen and the male is just as responsible as the woman thing. The way I see it is if a male fire fighter on probation impregnates his girlfriend, wife, neighbor, whatever, then he should also be let go. Why do the women have to be the ones to take the blame for the pregnancy? Simply because we are the ones that get pregnant? That is bs.

The reason that I think that your position is 'woman-bashing' is that you give women little credit with your line of thinking. You presume that women are NOT going to be able to say no for the relatively short time period of their probation, that they are incapable of making the choice not to become pregnant during their probation, or worse that they are simply too stupid to realize that they have to be protected during sex if they don't want to become pregnant. I don't know, hc, I give women a little more credit as thinking, reasonable adults than that.
                        I am female and I am not woman bashing at all. I am simply saying that accidents happen and that yes a woman can keep her legs closed as you so eloquently put it, but that why should she have to when the guys don't have to keep in their pants. Yes condoms, the pill, etc. are great, but nothing is full proof and then what? She loses her job and he gets to continue doing whatever he does? Yea that is equal rights! NOT!

MONGO - yep I did say life is not fair...but this is not about fairness at all. Once again we see that the genders are different and that sometimes the female gender gets the worse end of the deal out of it. I am not complaining just saying that the men should be treated equally in this just like we should be treated as equals on the fire ground.
                        Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

Actually, xchief, I like my view of women much better than yours.

Me: Women are mature, responsible, strong adults capable of making decisions for themselves, living with those decisions in a responsible way, and doing what needs to be done to achieve their goals. They are not victims, they are not stupid, and they are not powerless little creatures who can't be expected to take responsibility for their actions - for example, having sex and getting pregnant.

You (and your blithering pal CAKelly): Women get pregnant by accident. They have no control over the things that happen to them in life, because Lord knows they're just cute little darlin' wimmin. They can't possibly be trusted to follow a regulation. Hell, we're not even sure if they can read, let alone abide by a regulation. Who knows when the pregnancy fairy is going to visit and surprise them with a baby! Poor, poor women. We need to make sure that they don't have to be responsible for any actions they take, the poor little dears.

Now, who do you think is more supportive of women?
                          "Let's roll." - Todd Beamer, one of a group of American soldiers who handed the terrorists their first defeat.

Joe Black

The opinions expressed are mine and mine alone (but you can borrow them )and may not reflect those of any organization with which I am associated (but then again, they just may not be thinking clearly).

Comment

You know, HC, this really isn't about pregnancy. It's about probationary firefighters being able to fulfill the obligations of their probation. Pregnancy precludes that. Therefore, pregnancy isn't allowed during probation.

Yes, I man is just as responsible for getting a woman pregnant. Unfortunately, getting a woman pregnant doesn't affect a man's physical abilities like it does a woman.

Sorry, but that's the way it is.
                            Bryan Beall
                            Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

Originally posted by Silver City 4:
                              Women aren't being punished because of this! They're probies. Probies have to follow rules. This is one of the rules.
                              It's a rule that only applies to women. That is sexist.
                              The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

Thank you no_name...I was getting so agitated that I couldn't get that out..thanks for the help!
                                Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X