Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long can your 2215 psi bottle last?

At our Smoke Divers course we had a couple of firefighters make their 2215 psi air bottles last over 2 hours. Now this was a perfectly working scba, full, and under resting conditions (under a tree resting), but it illustrated the point that when trapped and trained properly, a firefighter can conserve their air and last longer than the 10-15 minutes normally allotted for the 30 minute rated bottles. Has anyone else experimented with durations during training? How long have you seen these bottles last?

two to three hours when needed is typical

Comment

I'd say that someone has the "skip breathing" method down pretty well. I have gone over an hour while doing odd jobs around the station.
      I have heard though, that skip breathing can actually be harmful because you are depriving your body of the constant O2 intake, and can end up hyperventilating. That is just hear-say though, but it was from a couple of SCUBA instructors.
      Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Comment

CT Fire Academy formula is basically:
        "30" minute bottle on 1/4 pressure left
        (Doesn't matter 2216 or 4500psi -- they both carry the same volume of air in the 30 minute cylinders)

Firefighters do calastynics (sp?) for 15 minutes to get their heart rate/breathing rate up

Most firefighters can take that last "5" minutes of air and make it last 20 minutes or more.

Their record a few years ago was 58:30 on a quarter tank & elevated heart rate when started. You usually see the very long times from people in exceptional cardio-vascular shape...i.e. marathoners.
        IACOJ Canine Officer
        20/50

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...