• Show
Clear All

• Tom McAdam
    replied
    Watching my son receive his badge making him a firefighter, like his dad,

Leave a comment:

• smokeyben1
    replied
    My proudest moment in the job would have to be being involved in the finding and subsequent rescuing of the only survivor of Australia's worst landslide which claimed 18 lives. After standing beside the firie who some how heard the bloke through 4 cement slabs and over a chainsaw working nearby we preceeded to dig him out until we were relieved by the day usar team, which was real hard to leave site but anyway we came back on 3pm that afternoon and he was still underground and after some minor enlarging of the hole and preparation by medics for extrication, we extricated him and placed him in an ambulance. The cheer that went up through the valley when the village realised we had him out was amazing and gave us real pep-up. The survivor 'Stuart Diver'is going strong and back in the town after surviving 65 hours in sub zero temps and losing his wife beside him in the slide at Thredbo in 1997. Stay safe.

Leave a comment:

• EastKyFF
    replied
    FF of the year at my old dept., managed to win it despite being away full-time for college. I was proud of my dedication in coming in on weekends to train and making all the calls I could.

Number 2: Conquering my ineptitude at driving manual transmissions. After that, I KNOW training can enable anybody to do anything.

Leave a comment:

• LT.BB
    replied
    My D.C. had terminal cancer and he asked me if i'd carry his helmet in the funeral services...which i did of course.At first, i was sad about it but then i felt it to be such a honor.Second was getting LT. spot on first due engine later that same year.

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    yes...E229Lt....i am proud of him....and this is off the topic of this post...but I tried to email you and you not accepting or something.,....

But...i feel the same about a few others in my department that are or were the same age as my son...and more reliable than some of the older members.

Email me...we can discuss it.

Leave a comment:

• E229Lt
    replied
    captstanm1,

Okay, I'm a little slow. Just made the connection. I was confused on another board when you lauded "Engine_tower1".

Leave a comment:

• Les.H
    replied
    Being presented with my 20 year long service and good conduct medal by the Lord Lieutenant of Berkshire (The Queen's Representative) with my family watching. What a day, never to be forgot.

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    My proudest momemt was the day my son joined the junior fire department and then the first time we went on a call together. Now, I am proud to see him carry on as a firefighter and conduct himself in these forums like a the fine young man he has turned out to be.
    Trey...I love you....be careful....

Leave a comment:

• engine_tower1
    replied
    My proudest moment was probably seeing my father win an award for saving a little kids life. He was a captain ay his station and responded to the elementary school across the street from his station. When he arrived there they found a young boy choking on his lunch. My father gave him the hemlich and saved the childs life. For me though as a firefighter my proudest moment would probably have to be just knowing that I am out there doing things that only a select few can do. Knowing that everyday I could save someones life or property just makes me proud to say I am a FIREFIGHTER

Leave a comment:

• Fyrball105
    replied
    sitting here reading over some of the responces,I was able to recall some very proud moments that i was part of, all sounds the same, just change some names, ages, etc. I was proud the day i joined the dept. against incredable odds that I'm here. (was born with cerebral palsy, was givin no chance at walking, but i made it I walk,) do anything i want, just made 12 years on dept. i'm now asst. chief. but for me one moment will stand out for a lifetime. I was sitting in a mcdonald's having lunch one day, I'm a vollie so i wasn't in any uniform at the time, I had a small boy and his mother come up to talk to me> Mother said "He just wanted me to come over here and meet you, said you was the fireman that always comes to his school." that to me means all the trouble & time i put in to my fire prevention work was worth it! If a small boy remembers the fireman that comes to his school I'm sure he remembers what the fireman tells him about fire.

[ 09-04-2001: Message edited by: Fyrball105 ]

Leave a comment:

• 911WACKER
    replied
    Everytime we go on a run and things go just the way it was meant to be, not as often as we all like it. Makes you feel proud to be part of a real team when things fall into place on an incident.

Most recent would be last week when we extricated a unresponsive female from a wreck and call to in hospital time was less than 30 min, everyone did a good job from EMS,FIRE and the helicopter crew.

Leave a comment:

• firefighter26
    replied
    We had a rather bad MVA last November, in fact, the hardest extrication I have done to date (excluding some scenarios we practice). It took us 40 minutes to cut the unresponsive 17 year old from her vehicle. A few days later, her father phoned and told us she had massive neck and back injuries, was wearing a back plate and halo-harness. The doctors had told that had we not done our job as well as we had, his daughter wouldn't be able to walk. He phoned to thank us for a job well done.

A few months ago, he phoned again. This time to tell us that his daughter had made a full recovery, and was looking forward to playing field hockey in the upcoming school year. My department runs a lot of MVAs, but no one ever lets us know how the PTs come out of it. It was nice to know we made the difference. When things go bad, the entire department looks back at that call, and we all remember why we are there.

Remember, it’s for keeps out there. Be safe, and keep your visor down.

Leave a comment:

• mongofire_99
    replied
    You know, I think I'd like to add a few more. Even though they seem to contradict, I don't mean them that way.

Leading the company into the battle. (I guess not so much proud as honored with this one.)

Watching the fire go out quickly without me when we're first-in on the attack, or the patient gets extricated in short order. (To me, this all means my company has got their act together.)

Leave a comment:

• Romania2
    replied
    The day I got hired. There have been many close seconds but none have beat it yet.

Leave a comment:

• hctrouble25
    replied
    Anytime anyone (fellow ffs, the public, a little kid, a police officer, a by stander, etc.) thanks me for a job well done, I am proud of what I do. And anytime I get to work with the guys on my department to get the job done and then we all go home at the end of the day....that is what it is all about.

Personally - last year when I recieved the TOP GUN award at my company. It was a real honor.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X