Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Oldest, continuous working Firehouse?!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldest, continuous working Firehouse?!

I am interested in finding the where abouts of the oldest and continuous working firehouse in the nation. I know of two in Charleston, SC that have been in operation since 1887-88. They were built after the Charleston Earthquake of 1886 that severely damaged most of the departments engine houses. These houses were purchased in 1882 from the volunteer companies of Charleston because a fully paid department was going to be created. Why not use the existing equipment and engine houses already in the city?! There were 3 stations built. They were Cannon Street, Meeting and Wentworth Street and Meeting and Chalmers Street. The only 2 surviving stations are Cannon Street and Central Station (Meeting and Wentworth). they have been in continuous operation since 1887-88.

Does anyone know of one that has been operating longer than that?

This is not bragging rights... I am doing historical research.

Thanks!
    Grant Mishoe, Captain
    North Charleston Fire Department
    Editor for www.SCONFIRE.com
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

The firehouse that I belong to is up there with the oldest in New York State. Rescue, Hook, Ladder & Bucket Co. #1 was formed in 1879. The fire company existed before the formation of our town in its older name Pearsall's Corner, it also existed before the formation of Nassau County, at the time the whole area was still Queens County. The orignal firehouse still stands today, but it now has an extention off the back to accomodate the larger trucks. You can see more about the firehouse at www.lynbrookfd.org
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Comment

Tom, I checked out your webpage and I must say that Lynbrook FD is a very impressive department. I really like the apparatus and I love the fact that the "Truckies" have a place to go and escape all that Hose! I am visiting NYC in July and would like to visit your department. How afar away from NYC are you located, how busy are you and do you allow people from other states to bunk-in or ride along???
      You Waste your time, YOUR LINE IS MINE!

Comment

One of the oldest firehouses in Canada, if not the oldest, is the number 3 firehall in Quebec City. It was built in 1893 and has been in continual service since. Of course it was renovated to accomodate larger trucks, but it still keeps the same appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by CW7704
          Tom, I checked out your webpage and I must say that Lynbrook FD is a very impressive department. I really like the apparatus and I love the fact that the "Truckies" have a place to go and escape all that Hose! I am visiting NYC in July and would like to visit your department. How afar away from NYC are you located, how busy are you and do you allow people from other states to bunk-in or ride along???

thanks for the compliments, our trucks are top notch and you can see by the styles and color scemes that we are individual companies. we pride ourselves for being in seperate houses but we're still able to work together for the most part. we are about 20-30 min outside of NYC and our town is accessible by the Long Island Rail Road, We're not the busiest dept, we dont have any ride along or bunk in programs. We dont sleep there, just hang out like its our second home. We do meet on a regular basis on sunday morning's at 10 am and tuesday nights at 7 pm. Visitors are welcome for the most part.
          " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Comment

Oldest Fire House

The Union Fire Co #1 Carlisle Pa has been in continuious operation since 1789. This is verified by the minute books from the first meeting in April 1789. The Companys Charter or name has not been changed since 1789. They were incorporated by a special act of the Pa Legislature in 1840 as a non-profit (most likely the oldest incorporated volunteer fire dept in the state of Pa), part of their 4th house built in 1888 is now a Fire Museum while the rest of the building and an addition (built in 1977) is the operations part of the buildings. The building has been featured in 2 published books about fire house design and construction. The Museum part of the building is in near orignal condition.
            Some Photos can be seen on our website at
            Union Fire Co
            Last edited by pres41; 05-27-2002, 08:20 AM.
            Pres41 (Pete)
            pres41@aol.com

Comment

You can also check out the station I belong to, Haddon Fire Company #1 in Haddonfield, N.J. it has been in continuious operation since 1764. This is verified as the second oldest volunteer fire department in continuious service in US the oldest being Relief Hose Company in Mount Holly, N.J.

No web page yet, we're still working on that, at 238 years of age you get alittle slow

But we do have a museum, inwhich we keep two of the first handpumpers that the company operated, one from 1818 and the other from 1873, both are still operational .

Robert B.
              Haddon Fire Company #1
              member since 1980
              Last edited by NJTF1Bowman; 05-27-2002, 09:38 AM.
              Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Comment

I think if you check close the one in Mt Holly New Jersy has changed its name and Charter at least once in its history therefore negating its continuious service claim, but I could be wrong
                Pres41 (Pete)
                pres41@aol.com

Comment

This old house

The oldest station still in operation in the City of New Bedford, MA is Station 6, which was built in 1882. Unfortunately, a new modern addition was added to it in 2000 to accommodate a new ladder truck that would not fit in the original building. Although the addition works well for the new truck, it's too bad it ruined the look of a nice old New England fire station.

Old Station 6

New Station 6

Other old New Bedford stations
                  Mike Gentili
                  Captain, E1, NBFD

Comment

Originally posted by pres41
                    I think if you check close the one in Mt Holly New Jersy has changed its name and Charter at least once in its history therefore negating its continuious service claim, but I could be wrong
                    I won't get into that....

The station is a museum without any working apparatus stationed in it, they are having their 250th parade this July 14th....
                    Peace to our fallen brothers...

9/11/01 NYC WTC

7/4/02 Gloucester City, NJ

-=IACOJ=- The proof is in the crust

......Work hard, play hard, and always have fun along the way......

Comment

In New York State, City of Newburgh's Engine Co. 3 at 492 Broadway opened its doors in 1866, been open and serving continuously since then.

Comment

Bristol Fire Company in Bucks County PA Station 51 was incorporated in 1857 and has been continuously run in the same building since then.

Comment

I know of one in Vicksburg, MS that pre-dates the Civil War. I can't tell you when it was built.

It still the shell holes in the outside walls from the Siege of Vicksburg.
                          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Louisville Station 7 operated at 821 S. 6th Street from 1871m through 2009.
                            RK
                            cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90