This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FF's with medical conditions

I am a cadet firefighter desperatley wanting to become a FF "when I grow up." I am 16 and have been recently diagnosed with mild, exercise enduced asthma. Does anyone know if this will affect my chances of getting into a department?
    Feuer frei!

Some places will not let you apply because they are afriad that an asthma attack will come on during a fire and you cant take a hit off your nebulizer with a SCBA on. On the other hand you can play the disability card and try to make them hire you. Its a last resort thing and I would not recomend it at all. Now as far as medical problems, we have a guy that has seizures from strobe lights. He keeps up with all of his medications and he never has any problems. They only way to find out for sure is to start testing as soon as you are the right age. There are many firefighters who work with far more serious medical problems. Look at the guy with the false leg. So dont let something like sudden asthma keep you from having the best job in the world. So start calling fire departments now and asking questions. All they can do is say no. The best of luck to you.
    My comments posted here do not reflect the views of my department.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X