Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As an instuctor in NJ I have personally taught many juniors under "controlled" conditions. However, letting them enter burning buildings is pushing the envelope a little too far, (and besides that it's against the law in NJ). There is a time to learn and that is during the early part of your career. I will let juniors in my department take the knob on small fires such as brush or leaves. However I would hate to see my name on the top of a lawsuit for letting a person that is under 18 into a burning building to fight the fire. I also started as a junior and paid my dues. Learned what the equipment was for, how to use it, and how to be a good firefighter. Sometimes you have to sit back and learn before you start fighting fires. This is just my opinion based on my experience and training. Whatever everyone else does is totally up to them, but just remember know what you are getting yourself into before letting a junior into that burning building.

Comment

capnstan, hides???? come on climb out of your cyberworld and get a grip--what would I be afraid of? A scathing e mail? Or ? If I choose not to post my e mail or profile, thats up to me. And believe it or not,I do have some knowledge on this subject. Of course for you to comment that I don't--you must be able to read my mind. So here goes, Ill think of my e mail address, got it?? Ill be checking my mail. YYYYYYEEEEHHAWWWWWWWW

Comment

Assistant 16.....you have good points...but..obviously laws are different in each state governing this subject. If the law PERMIST..and in the judgement of the Company Officers and if the person has the certifications....let them do as much as they are allowed. God knows we are all running short staffed as it is.
        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
        ------------------------------
        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
        BMI Investigator
        ------------------------------
        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

First off I agree that anyone under 18 should not be able to go into a fire.(Also the law here in Colorado) However, I also agree the best way to learn is to do hands on things.You can still get that by just being around a firehouse or taking the classes you need, without entering a fire. I understand how hard it is to wait. Im only 16. But Our time will come.
          You gain strength courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face...you must do the thing you think you cannot do.
          - Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X