Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well HOTDOG your name says it all!!!!!!! I dont know what part of VA you are from but where I am from I was 16 when I got most of my certifications from VA DFP. I went through the classroom portion and through the particals as well. I don't know where you got your information but it was wrong. I don't know what you mean by juniors can't keep their mouths shut, because I do a fine good job of knowing when and where I can say certain things. If your juniors can't keep their mouths shut it sounds like a personal problem to me!!!!!!!
    If you cant take the heat then stay out of my way.

These are my opinions and dont reflect the view of my company.

Comment

Easy....Easy Engine_Tower1...

HOTDOG...I dont know what "instructors" you talked to...but...as a former adjunct instructor in the Virginia Department of Fire Programs the section relating to Junior Firefighters is very specific. Under the age of 16...can not raise ladders, use SCBA, power tools etc..... They can participate in non hazardous classroom portions and observe the practicals. Then they must complete the practicals when of age. Juniors 16-18 can particiapte in all training sanctioned by DFP and the only restriction is...they can enter burn buildings (approved training buildings) to train but not enter a burning building (acquired structures)until they have firefighter 1 certification. In fact, I beleive the rules used to state that we could not use an acquired structure for firefighter 1 training.

Now.....these rules could have changed in the past 10 months since i left...but the way politics goes I dont think so.

Perhaps you should check with Virginia Department of Fire Programs...(do you need the number?) AND...maybe you should read the whole thread....This has been discussed previously I beleive.

As far as maturity...yea...some juniors (myself included 25 years ago) dont know when to keep quite....but we learn....and they all do. Some are more mature than others. Again..you can not lable or bash all of them because your juniors do not know when to keep their mouth shut.

Perhaps instead of saying it was a personal problem, Engine_Tower1 should have or could have said, it is a behavior modification problem....
      09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
      ------------------------------
      IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
      "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
      BMI Investigator
      The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Not meant as a flame but.
        It says alot about the "certification" , FF1 FF2... etc. if a 15 year old kid can get it.
        I know there are mature intelligent kids out there, but come on 15 ?
        I dont know, maybe its just me.

Comment

MAN OH MAN...thick headed..... In Virginia you are NOT eligible to receive certification until you are 16....SIXTEEN!!!!! You can not even participate in the practical evolutions until you turn 16 SIXTEEN!!!!!~
          BMI Investigator
          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Well well well.....

First of all, I stated what I had been told by some adjuncts....I never stated this was fact or fiction just to clear that up.

As for my name...What the hell do you mean it says it all? Ha, you make me laugh with your immature strikes at me. It takes more than that to get under my skin.

CapnStan: Don't worry, I have the number to the DFP but thank you for asking. Glad you were an adjunct and if you are all you said, sorry to see you leave, we always like to keep the good ones around....like the view from an experienced ones....

I did read the whole thread, thank you. Sorry I conveyed what was known to me.

Simply put, our insurances says no...hell no to our juniors participating on the fireground in suppression, simply put. I don't have to sit here and cut others to defend my point cause that is the way it is and the way I feel. Simple. I don't know anything about your son or his maturity level (other than what is on this thread, and I am not impressed). It is simply not fair to single out one or two of our juniors who we "feel" is more mature than another. They have, hopefully, a long career ahead of them, as well as a long life, and I personally do not want to be a part of shortening those by sending them into a IDLF situation.

As far as it being a personal problem that juniors can't keep their mouths shut, that it is not. Our guys know when to shut up, if not they learn real quick. We have a really good bunch of juniors and as I have previously stated, if you read my posts, juniors are an important part of the fire service and I enjoy working with them every chance I get, but until they are 18, the only hose they will be on is on drill night.

engtow: I do, however, wish you luck on a long and prosperous career. I also wish you luck on controlling your excitement, your gonna stroke!

I have said enough....movin on to better things.
            Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

Comment

Ok 16 not fifteen, I'm sorry, huge difference there.

Comment

Well ive listened and read as long as I can so I'm going to comment any way. First of all as an Instructor from Va I do know that if you are under 18 you have to have a signed permission slip from a parent or guardian before you can participate in any practicle excersises. This means any thing from rolling hose to raising a ladder. If any member junior or senior thinks he knows everything there is to know then he needs to quit and go home because he is getting ready to hurt himself as well as others. There are no experts in this field. If you do not learn something new everyday on every call then your not doing something right. There are no experts wether you have 1 yr or 30 yrs. Experience is the wonderful knowledge that enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!! Any one can get water to the end of a line , but doing it without hurting the guys on the end makes all the difference. To much pressure can work them to death. To little wont protect and get the job done. Most of this job is common sense, you guys know that. All it takes is one second to screw things up real bad. For Example the tention span of some juniors. What happens when hes pumping the truck and the cheerleaders walk by? Tcmib379 what ind of crew do you operate? Are you up in the ranks? Engine-Tower1 arent you from the department that uses a bowling pin to tighten suction hose?

Comment

Mediator I agree with you, I learn something new on every call that I run. I don't know everthing yet and I never will know it all. Yes we used to carry bowling pins on our apparatus, but we have since replaced them with mallets. Where are you from in VA?

Comment

mediator....very well done with your post... I did neglect to say that Junior members had to have a permission slip signed by the parents and a physical. The end result is that they are valuable and they are protected to a cetain point. But after they receive the certification they are "allowed" to particiapte actively if approved by their department. Your post is very well done and I applaud you.

In defense of engine_tower1 he is probably too young to remember the story behind the bowling pins... It was done as a joke to see how many people would say "what are they for?" It came from FDIC. While visiting a station there we noticed they had them in therefront bumper with the LDH hydrant hose. We asked, "what for?" The older firefighter there was flabergasted we did not know and accused us of being rookies. He said, "we use em to tighten the hose, what else woudl they be for?" We said, "We use rubber mallets" and his reply was..."hmmmguess that would work!" We came back and immediately put them on (after customizing them) and left them there for a while to see who would comment on them.

Drop me an email
                    BMI Investigator

Comment

I do agree that being a junior is a time for learning equip. and procedures. But after a probationary period, I think a junior should get a chance to grab a nozzle,BUT...only under the direct supervision on his officer. To me one of the best ways to learn, is by doing. And if a junior has proven (after ample time) that he can help fight fire, why not let them get their hands dirty. There will be plenty of time for them to roll hoses...right along with everyone else. Isn't the main objective to get the job done as safe and quick as possible......and do it together? I have seen some firefighters want to do the glory work then push the mopping up off on others. It gets done quicker if all the hands work together.

Just my thoughts....hope it helps a little

Comment

Fireman8 I am so glad that there is finally someone else besides Captstanm that feels the same what the we do. Like you said in this line of work everything is hands on and you only learn by doing, not sitting and watching everyone else preform. I also agree with you on the probationary period, I wasn't allowed to ride on the trucks until I recieved my certs which was like 4 months.

Comment

After reading what some of the people inthis thread have had to say I have to agree with them, They amke very valid points, I myslef am a Junior Firefighter or Explorer or Cadet whatever they are called in your neck of the woods, I agree there should be NO way on earth an explorer should be allowed inside a burning building that endangers the lives of others, Right now the best thing an explorer should be doing is learning, There will come a time once you are a firefighter that you can pump the engine and go inside a burning structure right now watch and learn and don't be afraid to ask questions, And jusr because you are a junior does not give you the right to think you should have a department issued page and does not mean you should be allowed to leave school. Leave that to the expirnced and trained firefighter's
                          Engine 101
                          The Pride of Old Town

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeU8-8xSvMU

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h155/Seagrave7/

Comment

Engine191 I agree when you start off in the fire service as a junior you should not be allowed to enter any IDLH atmosphere. I am a trained firefighter (now 18) and was one at the age of 16. I went through FFI, FFII, Haz-Mat Ops and Awareness at the age of 16. Yes i did learn some by sitting back and watching everyone else work, but I have learned more by doing. I do not pump the trucks but I do know how to, because I sat through the class given by my station. I do not want to pump a truck yet and do not know everything there is to pumping. I wish you luck in your junior program and hope you learn alot however you may. I am not bashing your post I am just telling you how I feel as a junior member.

Comment

Towerjunior----you ruin what little case you have with that "if you cant take the heat yada yada" Ya got that on a tee shirt too? And the answer to the riddle was not just 7 years, but seven years of "life experence" - it makes a difference

Comment

Rude Dog Hits and hides.... Not brave enough to let us know where he/she is from....

As far as sayings either on paper, shirts or your underwear.......well...who cares? As long it is done tastefully what's the problem?

Did you go to all forums and tell everyone that has some sort of statement in their message that their case is ruined....or did you just happen to pop in here and comment on a topic youhave no knowledge of???
                                BMI Investigator

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X