Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halligan that is cool, I was just making sure that no one took me for that type of firefighter. GG I agree with you to the upmost I thank you for your support of Junior members. Halligan OSHA is very clear on what a hazardous cituation is but that doesnt matter when you have certs no matter how old you are.
    If you cant take the heat then stay out of my way.

These are my opinions and dont reflect the view of my company.

Comment

Here is a riddle:

What is the differance between a 17 year old with a year on and firefighter 1, and a 24 year old with a year on and firefighter 1 ?

Comment

GG that is a very tough riddle I gues since I am only a 17 yr old and not experienced enough I cant figure that riddle out.

Comment

gg I've got to know hwere you are from. An instructor at age 16? you've got to be kidding me! The whole point is keep you're nose in the books and out of the fire. It's a very unforgiving place to be learning and as a jr. you are doing just that, learning. If you want to learn, go to controlled burns, take the classes in a "CONTROLLED" enviroment with expirenced supervision. It seems I come off as a jr. basher, yet I am not. Jr.s are a great resource and have a potential that might just be unmatched by any other age group entering the service because of your desire, yet the desire has to be funneled in the right direction as does anyone else's. If you are too gung ho to go inside and get tunnel vision about the fire you are not going to learn. As far as all of these things about I have this cert and I have that cert guess what, It's a piece of paper and will burn just like you could. Focus on high school and college for that matter, that will pay off the most in your life.
          the truth never hides for long

Comment

i grew up in a small town. where my granfather started the first fire department in our county, my father got involved at an early age and it was nothing more than tradition for me to get involved when i was old enough to walk on my own But really i start hanging at the station when i was very young ans started training at age 11 or 12 so you can say i diffently grew up in it, i was alound on engine response after i turned 16, i felt after about 6 months, very comfortable in just about any situation, because of my firefighting past. Junior firefighters are the firefighters of tommorrow!

Comment

with being 19 (i joined when i was 18) i think they should be able to pump. we don't have a Jr firefighter program but if we did i wouldn't be afraid(as long as the kid knew a little about the pump) let em pump. if he went through pump training and the trainer felt he did a good job let him get a feel for the pump.then once he does turn 18 and ready to offically join he's a expert at pumping.

Comment

Jason...,

//Junior firefighters are the firefighters of tommorrow!//

I couldn't agree more with this statement. You have hit the nail on the head and the key word here is "TOMORROW"

Comment

Juniors in my neck of the woods is anyone under the age of 18 and have NO right to step foot inside a burning building. This is in my opinion the way it should be. I am in charge of a junior program and they are a GREAT asset to the fire department. However, they in my opinion have no business being inside a live fire situation unless they are 18 or older. Why every 18 year old has a different maturity level, I feel that for the most part there are few 16 and 17 year olds who have the maturity level and the responsabilty to operate on the inside of a working structure fire. There are many other crucial areas of a fire scene that they can help in. And in terms of operating appartus and pumping- anyone under 18 operating a pump just plain scares me.
                  Brookside Engine Company, (NJ)-Captain
                  Morristown(NJ) Fire Department-FF
                  Mendham Township First Aid(NJ)-EMT- Officer

These views are my own and do not reflect those of these departments

Comment

E229 you are correct about us being the firefighters of tomorrow, but what you fail to realize is that tomorrow is right now. You are still failing to realize along w/ Ross, H70 that it is almost the year 2002 and things in the fire service have changed alot since you all were young and coming up in the world of fire sesrvice. H70 where did you get your start?? Did you just jump into the world of fire or did you come up as a junior member at your station? You also contradict yourself, in one sentence you say that certs are only a piece of paper and will burn just like you, but then you follow that up by saying to go to college and get more PAPERS???? That just seems funny to me, did u go to college??? I would lovw to be able to go to college and get a degree in Fire Science but I am not ble to due to a lack of funding. Would you like to pay for my college education, cuz if so I would really appreciate it. That way I can be a mature 17 yr old in college learning.

Comment

Instructor 1 is a two weekend class, it isn’t hard, and can be completed right after firefighter 1 and 2. As for your comment about keeping my nose in the book and out of the fire, I have not, since 16 I have practically lived at a firehouse, went there right after school did my homework ran calls, made the top ten list since then. I caught at least 20 working fires a year. And I read and trained in my spare time while you were lounging on the couch.

Comment

engine_tower1.....he is kinda right...education is important...but it is NOT the sole factor that makes a firefighter. I agree with you....experience makes you better. Maturity is necessary to gain the respect of the older members and then they will allow you to stand side by side with them.... You have the basics...and realize there is more to know...and...you are getting the experience. Those that are saying NO NO NO NO NO NO...dont let em in until 18....do not understand and are not exposed to working juniro programs... You wont wind this argument with them....they have heads like bricks and will never change...

For those that question libiability...it is proven...you are covered....example...the line of duty death you mentioned. The family received the insurance....the insurance was not cancelled nor did they change the "rules" and the Chief did not get sued....

Dont you know who GGtruckie is??????
                        09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                        ------------------------------
                        IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                        "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                        BMI Investigator
                        The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

hmmmm ggtruckie....answer to your riddle......7 years????
                          09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                          IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                          "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                          BMI Investigator
                          The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

I'd still like to know what Virginia's OSHA Child/Minor Regulations have to say regarding hazardous occupations......In Pennsylvania, Volunteer Fire Departments are legally considered EMPLOYERS due to liability/workmans comp regulations. And As such, children/minors are NOT exempt from the regulations!!! I'd be willing to bet that if Va. OSHA knew about engine_tower entering hazardous environments, they would have the citation book out with his FD's name and plenty of zeros next to a number in the "Fine" column!!!!!
                            "Loyalty above all else, except honor."

Comment

Engine tower you realy need to stay in school because you can't spell or type and your still missing the point. I do not mean fire school I mean real school. Get an education on math (pump ops) reading (fire instructor gg) pyshics, you might not know it now and beleive me it shows but, these are a foundation to a prosperous fire career. As far as contradicting myself gg you are way off base. A cert is just a piece of paper what you get out of the class is what you make. I can sleep thru any class and say I'm certified but the key is to go home and know whats what. As far as sitting on a couch, it's comfy, it's nice and when I get off it I can back every damn word I say I hope in couple of years you can say the same. I know how good I have it and I know how I got there, maybe taking advice from someone who is trying to help you along isn't your strongpoint.
                              the truth never hides for long

Comment

H70 I get the point that your are tryin to amke you just do want to see the point that I am making. I have said this many times before, and will nonw say it again. I KNOW THAT I DONT KNOW EVERYTHING AND I AM STILL LEARNING, but you cant learn alot by sittin back and just watching, this is a hands on job. You are also correct about sleeping through the classes and still saying you are certified. I dont disagree with you about that. I am sorry that cant spell I must have slept through that class. If your gonna give advice dont attack people then say that all your doing is giving advice that is not the way to get your point across. Finally yes you can go to college and get a degree, and that is just fine, but that degree can burn up just like my certs and then what do you have now???? NOTHING.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X