This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letter from FEMA- No Grant

We got an official notification from FEMA today that our vehicle grant request was denied. Luckily we got the other grant, for training, in the third round

MJinFla,

Thanks for putting this topic up on the board. I was just getting ready to put up a post asking if anyone had received a reject letter yet. My FD, like so many others, hasn't heard a thing yet, one way or another. With approx $16 mil left for PPE, I'm still hopeful that we'll get our grant request of for $36K. Not the end of the world if we don't though. It would just be nice to know. It's hard not to be jealous of the depts that have known for better than a month already.

Comment

My department received official notification yesterday that our request for funding a rescue vehicle had been denied. We didn't fit the profile. But I am not bitter. I will stop here before I say something that I will regret, but I will say this: though the FIRE Act is a very noble effort, tying it to need and the idea that you must report(NFIRS)incidents doesn't go far enough for those who have continued to scrape every dollar and maintain quality of service, who continue to raise funding and the public's awareness, who believe that a shot in the arm from the Feds every now and then doesn't hurt and who believes that the "haves" should help the "have-nots"-that is , those who are also willing to help themselves; we will continue to do so. It is a pity that departments who showed initiative in solving some of their own funding issues were penalized with a lower score on their grant apps. We will patiently await the arrival of our "Robin Hood"-a Democrat from New Jersey, I hear!
      I must go break the bad news to my men. I'll take plenty of tissues, body armor and possibly a side arm. I would like to take this opportunity to tell FEMA thank you for letting us down gently. The letter that I received was first rate. Great job, but next time, ENCLOSE A CHECK!!!
      "There is no nobler profession known to Man than firefighter."
      Visit www.iacoj.com
      Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
      RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

Well said Chief Reason, I agree with you wholeheartedly. I believe that New Jersey's aggressive enforcement of OSHA and other regulations has served to make many NJ companies "ineligible" for the grants. It doesn't mean that we are "rich" companies, just that we have had to find the way over the years to meet the codes. I can remember times when OSHA came in with a garbage can and ordered us to remove "non-compliant" stuff from racks (such as "driver's" gloves - spare non-firefighting gloves for guys who were driving, etc.)

We too received our rejection for a pumper yesterday. Still have a glimmer of hope for our PPE application, but doubtful.

Just out of curiousity, does your "Robin Hood" share those initials ("RH")?
        The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

We applied for a new truck and for Fire Equipment and have not received a letter on either yet. Hopefully I will get them today so I can report at the meeting tonight as to whether we have been "officially" denied. The way I look at it is we gave it a shot, and that is the best we could do. I agree that some of it is political and that pretty much sucks but we are dealing with the Feds here so it is expected.
          Never forget those who went before and sacrified to make us better and stronger as a fire service and a nation. 09-11-01 forever etched in time and our memories. God Speed Boys!

Comment

no_name_FF:
            Amen, brother. Well, if nothing else, we can take consolation in the fact that we were too good to get a grant. I alluded in my project narrative that we were an ISO Class 6 department in a village of 800, had several certified firefighters on staff and basically demonstrated a need for additional funding. I guess that I bragged about the department just a little too much. I will know better next time. Hey, anyone perjure themselves to get funding? We want to hear from you! You know I was thinking the other day that if we could change our name to say a Chicago suburb, we could charge all calls as out of district. Then, we could fund that new rig. What do you think? Or better yet, maybe we could elect Dubya to our fire department and with his limited influence, he could call in a favor and who knows?
            In closing, our "Robin Hood" hails from your great state and he singlehandedly got this ball to rolling. We will try again. Trust me; the selection committee will need boxes of tissues when the next year rolls around.
            Stay tuned and stay safe.
            Visit www.iacoj.com
            Remember Bradley Golden (9/25/01)
            RIP HOF Robert J. Compton(ENG6511)

Comment

I can't believe that this thread has gone as far as it has without one of the board's right wingers putting up a post about how this grant program is unconstitutional and how we should all be ashamed that we even applied. After all, don't we know that the fire service should be expected to martyr itself indefinitely while federal funds go to much less worthy causes

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: ffemtmjb ]

Comment

As of today, we still haven't heard one way or the other on our 28K PPE and 6K FF equip. applications. Still got fingers crossed, but with over 1/2 of PPE gone, its beginning to get a little disheartening, we will survive, but this would have been a bit shot in the arm. I guess there is always next year! Till then we'll continue do our best with what we have.
                Stay Safe and be careful out there!!!
                sigpic
                "Just remember. No matter where you go. There you are!"

Comment

Just recieved the official letter from fema saying we will not be replacing our 1966 ford/lafrance this year. I've also discovered we didn't present our need as well as we could have. But you can bet we will do it again even if the rules don't change.

posted under meet and greet, disappointment with fema grants 18 posts
                  Be Safe Out there.

Comment

All that I have heard about people receiving rejection letters are for the apparatus category ONLY. I guess since they are pretty much out of $$ in that category, they are sending out letters telling you the obvious.
                    The above is MY OPINION only and not that of anyone else. I am not representing any organization in making a post here!!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X