Injured with 4 weeks left in academy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured with 4 weeks left in academy

I am 4 weeks from graduating my fire academy and getting on shift. I’ve currently passed the fire side and I am now on the EMT side. I found out this week that I have a massive disc herniation that will require surgery. It’s bad enough to where I can’t sit longer than 5 minutes as well as my foot has gone numb and I’ve lost strength in one leg. Has anyone had to deal with an injury like this before this close to starting their first shift? I’m wondering what my department is going to do. I’d like to finish academy but then I’d be out for a few weeks recovering from surgery before I ever saw my first shift. This is all terrible timing ugh.

Sorry to hear that, as you say not good.

The answer is depends on the dept and city policy, as to what happens to you.

So were you hurt as part of the academy???

If so did you report it??

So do you think you can finish training???

Any physical work involved???

Any final physical testing you have to do?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I was hurt in the academy yes. I tried to finish but I woke up last week unable to even drive so my department pulled me out. As of now I’m on medical leave waiting to get surgery. Apparently the surgery isn’t that long of a recovery which is lucky. Lots of unanswered questions but my department is gonna work with me as best they can.

Comment

Originally posted by uwdawgs16 View Post
        I was hurt in the academy yes. I tried to finish but I woke up last week unable to even drive so my department pulled me out. As of now I’m on medical leave waiting to get surgery. Apparently the surgery isn’t that long of a recovery which is lucky. Lots of unanswered questions but my department is gonna work with me as best they can.
        That is good to hear,,,

Sometimes it does depend on the dept

Most of the time you are not a full employee, so you have very little protection

Plus, the problem of finishing your training, or waiting for another academy to start,, Yep fire dept hiring and training process is not easy.

Good luck
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...