What do you sleep in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you sleep in?

OK guys, another stupid question here....

I've been a volunteer at a respond-from-home VFD for several years. Recently I was taken on as a volunteer FF/EMT at a neighboring combination department where all volunteer duty is spent on station. I recently did a 12 hour stint where I stayed overnight in the bunk room. I didn't really know how to do it, so I just slept in my clothes and kept my boots on the floor next to the bunk.

I suppose I could sleep in a pair of shorts and a T-shirt and just slip on a pair of flip flops to get down the stairs to my bunker gear. But if it is a medical run, which is most likely, I don't want to respond in full bunker gear. I need pants on, my shirt tucked in, and need to look professional to well represent the department to the public. I just don't know how to be ready to jump on the medic truck in a squared away condition without sleeping in my clothes.

Is there time to jump out of bed and put on pants, a shirt, and boots and still not be late to make the ambulance before it leaves the bay?

I'm a new EMT and really trying to learn how to be good at that. Learning how to live and act and function inside the fire station is a whole `nother thing I need to learn and that just seems like a distraction from my focus of trying to learn to perform the duties of the job. I want to be getting better at patient assessment and learning to use the glucometer and not worrying about sitting in the wrong recliner.

Any tips or suggestions about sleeping in the bunk house would be appreciated. They don't teach you about that in FF I/II.

Thanks!

I sleep in a bed!!!

Try different things and see what works for you.

No do not sleep in your clothes.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
      I sleep in a bed!!!
      Everybody's a wiseguy!

I suppose I'm making it more difficult than it needs to be. Learning a new job and fitting into a new FD is a stressful thing. It's weird being a 53 y.o. beginner volunteer EMT and learning from a 25 y.o. paramedic. Not that I mind. I always like learning new things and really put forth the effort to be the best I can be. These young paramedics have been very helpful and kind. I just appreciate them taking the time to help me out and teach me. But it is hard.

Comment

Just see what works for you, and you can refine as you go.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

A department near here got called out for a medical assist/law enforcement assist.

They ended up with a structure fire.

I believe FDNY allows shorts as a duty uniform.

Wear what department policy allows and what's comfortable, given the time of year. What do the other folks at that station wear? (Rhetorical question)
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Fully dressed. If you take time to dress you could very well be left behind. And that's a major problem!

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
              Fully dressed. If you take time to dress you could very well be left behind. And that's a major problem!
              If that's the standard at your department that's what you do. So many departments are different some go real fast to the call and some take their time.

I prefer to sleep in shorts t-shirt and socks. I always use slip in boots and I keep them ready on the floor next to my bed with my pants encased around the boots; that way I can put my feet right in the boots and just pull my pants up. I keep the portable radio right inside my boot that way I can find it fast in the dark.

If its a fire I go directly to the truck and bunk out as much as possible until we are ready to roll.

Comment

From my limited experience, sleeping fully dressed will not be needed. Last time I spent the night in the bunkhouse I was downstairs and in the truck well before anyone else. I'm sure I have at least 10-20 seconds throw some clothes on before I need to be downstairs.

I prefer to sleep in shorts t-shirt and socks. I always use slip in boots and I keep them ready on the floor next to my bed with my pants encased around the boots; that way I can put my feet right in the boots and just pull my pants up. I keep the portable radio right inside my boot that way I can find it fast in the dark.
                That seems pretty workable and comfortable to me. I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks all!

Comment

Originally posted by Kart29 View Post
                  From my limited experience, sleeping fully dressed will not be needed. Last time I spent the night in the bunkhouse I was downstairs and in the truck well before anyone else. I'm sure I have at least 10-20 seconds throw some clothes on before I need to be downstairs.

That seems pretty workable and comfortable to me. I think I'll give that a try.

Thanks all!
                  10-20 seconds putting on clothes would be considered a slow turnout for us. The type of response does play a role. But if we get an alarm for a reported fire overnight that rig is out the door in about 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by jsmi33966 View Post

I always use slip in boots and I keep them ready on the floor next to my bed with my pants encased around the boots; that way I can put my feet right in the boots and just pull my pants up.
                    With the emphasis these days on keeping bunker gear out of living spaces, that may not be an option for many.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post

With the emphasis these days on keeping bunker gear out of living spaces, that may not be an option for many.
                      Absolutely I would never keep bunker gear in the dorms. I'm talking about some red wing boots I wear on EMS calls.

Comment

I go to sleep in my bunker gear. Radio on, and a KBar knife in my mouth, ready for action. I have a pair of shears dangling from a wriststrap on my right hand, and a SCBA mask in the other. (I tried, but I just cannot sleep wearing the mask. I am trying to fix that) SCBA of course is on my back, so I sleep on my stomach. Under the turnouts is a pair of jeans, cut off into short shorts, and a "I fight what you fear" T shirt.

Next up, I can tell you what I carry in my pockets also.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                          I go to sleep in my bunker gear. Radio on, and a KBar knife in my mouth, ready for action. I have a pair of shears dangling from a wriststrap on my right hand, and a SCBA mask in the other. (I tried, but I just cannot sleep wearing the mask. I am trying to fix that) SCBA of course is on my back, so I sleep on my stomach. Under the turnouts is a pair of jeans, cut off into short shorts, and a "I fight what you fear" T shirt.

A real man would simply stand at attention next to the rig waiting for the bells to go off.

Comment

Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post

Rookie

I have sleep apnea, so the SCBA mask is connected to air. When the tones drop I am already masked up and switch from land line air to my pack that is on. Of course it is still in the jump seat as I sleep with the seat belt on to hold me in place. And since I am on air, the truck is never shut off. That way we are out the door before it has a chance to even open. We have had to replace 12 doors, but it sure beats waiting that extra 5 seconds.

And it is not "I fight what you fear", it is "First in last out". Why would you wear anything under your bunker pants. Like Tom Petty, I am freeballin.

Comment

I rest in shorts, I still make it to the truck quick, mostly before everyone else. If i didnt, then, I would rest with more on.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X