X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scrapper
    replied
    Well I have to admit I'm kind of surprised at all of the responses saying we should fry this guy. This is no different then the dark humor that is heard throughout fire stations across the country except that he was caught. If this picture wasn't leaked to the public than we wouldn't have a problem here. I believe the news here (yes I live near where this happened) blew it way out of proportion and the public as usual jumped on the bandwagon. If the public were to hear the things that are said at fire stations regarding past calls and such, they would be outraged and wouldn't accept it. Much like the postings on this thread. That's why I can't understand the attitude here. Can ANYBODY understand the attempt at humor. I'm not saying it was right but I believe his biggest problem was getting caught. I've experienced this humor at every fire station I've been to.

The facts are, this captain was demoted to firefighter which was about a $13000 per year pay cut. It was said that he could take the next captains test and had a good chance at making it back to captain. He did resign on his own free will. I do not know why and it wasn't reported why in the news. Personally, I think he was demoted because the FD needed to save face in the public's eye. If this picture had leaked to the chief but not to the public than a demotion (in my opinion) would have been too much. The public, however, would not settle for anything less.

I guess I didn't think it was as bad as most people are making it. Just another opinion.

Leave a comment:

• firemedic1122
    replied
    Because of my naive faith in the human race, I would hope that this person was at the wrong place at the wrong time. With his resignation, however, it does lead one to think that he felt guilty for something. I would like to hear this persons side of the story, but I don't think it's going to restore my faith.

Leave a comment:

• Smoke286
    replied
    Extrication, you have to admit, all of that aside, it was in very poor taste, even a tad sick

Leave a comment:

• extricationresearch
    replied
    This post is why firefighters get a bad name!

None of you that has posted about this was there to know what happend "even me".

My only question about this is if it was a joke then why was the officer that took the picture not brought up on charges of the same thing?

Leave a comment:

• b33
    replied
    Oh my life what a sick b*****d

I am surprised he got chance to resign without his crewmen giving him a beating and then having to roll EMS on his behalf?

Nuff said....

Leave a comment:

• Romania2
    replied
    All I have to say is wow. I have seen firefighters do some really stupid things (many I have been directly involved in) but they are typically harmless and stupid firefighter tricks are for a different thread. THis wasn't just stupid, it was disrespectful, gross, and so far from the right it is amazing.

Leave a comment:

• comwhite
    replied
    No, I'm not a firefighter. No, I don't know the emotions you deal with daily. But those are part of the reason I couldn't be a firefighter, and believe it takes a special person to be one.

I've watched a 240 lb. man fall to the ground and cry like a baby, after working an mva that took the life of a baby. I've seen that same man pound concrete with his fist because of the feeling of inadequacy. Sure, I've heard them joke about the "frequent fliers" who call regularly with another stomach ache. I've seen them laugh at something that happened at a fire, or at vehicle accident that involved a drunk.

There's no doubt in my mind that this has to be one of the most stressful jobs there is, and that each of you need a means to vent. Part of the admiration I feel for firefighters and rescue personnel is the ultra human compassion they must have to do thier job. It's the fact that I feel as I go through a crisis they're feeling it with me, they're sympathizing with my loss. There is a feeling of trust and security when a citizen deals with a firefighter that we don't have with any other occupation. Maybe we, as citizens, idealize too much, and we don't think about the other side, and the stress you are feeling.

A picture like the one at issue strips that trust and security. It does an injustice to those of you who have worked so hard to gain that trust. It's wrong, and I don't care for what reason it was done. It would be no different that finding a picture of one of your loved ones in a casket and the undertaker in there with them. It's wrong! That family, and the dead woman, were due more respect than that, especially from a group of people that they trust. To release your stress at the expense of someone's loss contradicts everything you fight so hard to build up in the community. It contradicts my ideals of you.

Leave a comment:

• Mike W
    replied
    We have a potographer that shows up to all of our major incidents. I thought why does he need to take pictures myself I would be [email protected]$#ed so I asked I was told insurance if the family wants the photos they are accessible to them on demand. So maybe this was the case and this picture was still inside. All this talk about was he really posing you can tell a pose from a person holding up a body.

But, like was said before the media does kinda strrrrrrrreeeeeeeetttttccccchhhhh the truth a little.

If he was not posing why resign. And if he was posing it was probably better he did resign.
    I won't add my thoughts on him because I don't know the circustances surrounding this .

Leave a comment:

• Ford45
    replied
    oooo, ah, wow. if thats really the way it went down, whew, would i hate to be in his boots. that is just beyond wrong, and is an embarasment to every self respecting firefighter out there. but i'd want to hear the whole story b4 i let you all know how i really feel. peace!

Leave a comment:

• jmk271
    replied
    Sad, sad, sad....

Leave a comment:

• captstanm1
    replied
    Appalling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is the type person who gives the fire service images.

Not only should he be fired, he should publicly appologize to the family as well as firefighters across the nation.

Leave a comment:

• JackTars
    replied
    Poor decision, but we have all been guilty of that. Myself, I don't think I would do it, though opportunity has arisen. I am just ready to take up and get back to the house. Leave posing for models.

Regards,

J

Leave a comment:

• GO4IT
    replied
    Unless you do this all the time back off I was documenting a scene while doing a death investigation the body was being held up right by a FF that was not thrilled about "touching" dead people, nothing wrong with that, to help him feel more comfortable about the situation I said the old cliche "watch the birdie" at which point he smiled. Now if you were to look at this picture OUT OF CONTEXT, you would think this was the same thing about this poor guy.. but, he does not have to worry about being blind-sided. I know how to control my evidence pictures. I may not be perfect but I know better than that..

Leave a comment:

• gah74
    replied
    I don't think the guy should be fired unless he has shown a trend of poor judgment. If this Capt has no history of other disiplinary actions, firing him is going too far. Having his picture taken w/ the body was not a good call, but I've been around the fire service long enough now to see how something like that can happen.

Leave a comment:

• eels
    replied
    Firefighter types do a lot of goofy things, make a lot of rude comments, and do and say some very morbid stuff after a call, this is normal for firefighters. BUUUUTTTTT to pose with a dead body, noooo waaay... very bad judgement...what was he thinking???

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X