Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We pose at fires and wrecks..in fact we just did...sitting at a burnt kitchen table holding smoked stained wine glasses with nothing but a burnt out kitchen and living room.....but not a body...thats just poor judgement
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by JDM 2267
    Personally, I feel your poses are in bad taste, too. Not as offensive as with a body, but still not appropriate. I wouldn't want you in my destroyed house finding humor in sitting at my table. People's property should be respected. Many dreams, hopes, and memories have just gone up in flames.
    ---------------------------------------------
    well you know what?...i have been on that end of the stick too...where all of my families heirlooms...pics...EVERYTHING was lost.....I respect everything about this job, but if you take everything so seriuosly that you cant have a little fun, youll be dead before you 45..im NOT saying pose with a body by any means!!!! But a simple pic of you saving the rest of a house from a 2 rooms and contents is something to be proud of and to remember!~!
    Stay Safe...FireEater07

[ 08-26-2001: Message edited by: Fire Eater 07 ]
    Its not something you do,
    Its something you are.
    "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
    Engineer
    Engine Co. # 1
    THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Comment

OOOOOppps.....sorry for the double post

Its not something you do,
      Its something you are.
      "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
      Engineer
      Engine Co. # 1
      THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Comment

I found both links lacking much information and, if I remember correctly, the article on Firehouse.com a few months ago didn't have much info either. So it's hard to say what really happened.

HOWEVER, I've made my share of crude jokes after a fire or EMS run, but it's AT THE STATION not in or in front of the public, and certainly not on the scene.

I carry a disposable camera in my coat. I'm very careful about when I use it. For MVA's it's after the pt has been transported and when we're in the cleanup stage. For fires, I use it when I'm in rehab or in a standby position. Even then, it's when I'm absolutely sure that it isn't interferring when the operation or anything that I should/could be doing. I don't want John Q. Public to see me and say, "Well, he's more worried about taking pictures than fighting that fire. Why am I donating to the FD for him to take pictures?"

Common sense, people, common sense.
        Bryan Beall
        Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Comment

If this was a big joke on the capt. part then why did the police take the picture, and if the police took the picture then how did the family get it? This story has more to it then it is telling. No one on this site was there, so no one knows the story. Lets face it, how much info does the news get, and how much of it is real info.

If it was a joke then the police was in on it too. Was he pushed back down the ranks or let go, the story does not tell.

Comment

I can say I agree with all sides, except for those who say he should be fired. Or who asked why is he on paid leave. Cops shoot people and they get leave with pay. All he did was make a bad judgment call on something he thought at the time was funny. Distasteful or unprofessional that's up to personal opinion. Believe me I've seen ME assitants and cops with a lot worse than that. I was just wondering if any of you disagreed with me that it was wrong for the NY Daily News to publish pics of our brothers having CPR and being bagged on their front page after the fathers day LODD's. And yes I think the Captain was wrong. But is there any real difference then some of the lingo we use about patients/victims in the fire and/or EMS service? If bad judgment was a reason to be fired, we have a huge turnover in the fire service on a weekly basis.
            If I was his local pres. I wouldn't condone what he did, but I would fight if they tried to terminate him.
            --------------------------------------------
            The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

Comment

If this captain indeed did pose in the manner stated in the clipping (which I doudbt has much credibility), his butt should be canned, no question. We in the fire service all use black humor to releive the tension at some scenes but in my opinion this is over the line, but like Turk said we only got one side of the story

Comment

Who was the ******* who flagged him to the media? This seems like a little too much, though. He may have been a good man, but used poor judgement. Hell of a waqy to end a career.

I seen guys do sh*t like this before, like the guy who experienced the Christmas fatalities. Sort of detatches the emotions. Some guys numb from carnage and things that are grotesque. I would be remiss to say, of course, that what he did was extremely disrespectful Be careful with the pranks and the poses...

Comment

There is too much vaugueness (where is the spell checker??? ) in this story to go one way or the other.

Define 'posing'. Is it with his arm around the body, him having a big smile? Was he HOLDING the body so that investigators could get a better look at it? (the media has been known to embellish a bit)

Before you begin nailing someone to a cross, you should get atleast a majority of the facts, and cirumstances revolving around the situation. Has anyone actually seen the photo? Does anyone know what if anything was said pre-post the photo?

Granted it doesn't look good for this guy, but until we can get more information we should hold off on cruicifying him.

Comments / photo's spoken or taken at scenes of tradgic incidents? Yup, i'm guilty of it (comments). Photo's can leave an everlasting immpression . . . exhibit A, this thread!

IF, GOD FORBID one of my loved ones was injured or worse in some accident, and someone who was sent there to help them made a comment, or I found out that some sicko took a picture of them after their demise in an unproffesional way, it would be over before they knew it!!!

Think about that the next time you're on a call, and before you open your mouth take the extra second to turn around and make sure you don't see a certain 'someone' who might hear the comment.

Photo's? I've got enough images burned into my brain that i'd like to forget, why would I need a hard copy. True, i've got my scrapbook at home with news articles, personal photo's and such, but when given the oppertunity from to capture the 'hard core gore' with my camera, i pass. I've seen it once, and that once was enough.
                  May God bless all the people and families who have lost
                  their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
                  [email protected]

Comment

Firefighter types do a lot of goofy things, make a lot of rude comments, and do and say some very morbid stuff after a call, this is normal for firefighters. BUUUUTTTTT to pose with a dead body, noooo waaay... very bad judgement...what was he thinking???

Comment

I don't think the guy should be fired unless he has shown a trend of poor judgment. If this Capt has no history of other disiplinary actions, firing him is going too far. Having his picture taken w/ the body was not a good call, but I've been around the fire service long enough now to see how something like that can happen.

Comment

Unless you do this all the time back off I was documenting a scene while doing a death investigation the body was being held up right by a FF that was not thrilled about "touching" dead people, nothing wrong with that, to help him feel more comfortable about the situation I said the old cliche "watch the birdie" at which point he smiled. Now if you were to look at this picture OUT OF CONTEXT, you would think this was the same thing about this poor guy.. but, he does not have to worry about being blind-sided. I know how to control my evidence pictures. I may not be perfect but I know better than that..
                        FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
                        **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

Poor decision, but we have all been guilty of that. Myself, I don't think I would do it, though opportunity has arisen. I am just ready to take up and get back to the house. Leave posing for models.

Regards,

J

Comment

Appalling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is the type person who gives the fire service images.

Not only should he be fired, he should publicly appologize to the family as well as firefighters across the nation.
                            09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
                            ------------------------------
                            IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
                            "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
                            BMI Investigator
                            ------------------------------
                            The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Comment

Sad, sad, sad....
                              JMK271
                              These opinions are my own and not those of the department in which I serve.

Comment

oooo, ah, wow. if thats really the way it went down, whew, would i hate to be in his boots. that is just beyond wrong, and is an embarasment to every self respecting firefighter out there. but i'd want to hear the whole story b4 i let you all know how i really feel. peace!
                                Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
                                IAFF Local F-106

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...