Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact [email protected]
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

In between a rock and a hardplace.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In between a rock and a hardplace.

First off thank you all for your advice regarding my other post. So i need some advice from some amazing firefighters chief captains ect.
    So.... the dept I work for is 3 hours from home, there is really no advancement opporitunity there as their is only 9 fulltime firefighters 2 per shift and a shift lead
    I did agree to a one year stay at least with the dept but a new situation has come about. I am offered insurance but only for myself and not my family. I was under the impression my family is included which isnt, maybe its my fault for assuming or mis hearing but end of the day I only have insurance. Now....... another department that is only about an hour away has invited me to interview and they DO offer insurance for the whole family, retirement ect and more pay. Do I apply and go against my word which means alot to me or do I stay at my current dept ( not that I have gotten hired by this dept I am interviewing for) but under the hypothetically i get hired) . I feel like I am doing a bad job at not being the leader of the house and providing for my family . Any help or advice would be helpful. thank you so much.

So how long have you been at your present Dept??

Will the interviewing dept not contact your present one, until and if you get a job offer??

So is the one year agreement in writing?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

i have been here 6 months sir and no it is not in writing, it was verbal and I am not sure the interviewing dept will confact my current dept, i feel like i am going against my word but at the end of the day my family is number 1 so i am just hitting my head against the wall with this decision and again, i havent gotten hired by this other dept nor might not even pass their interview but this is all just kinda pre planning just in case i get lucky

Comment

I usually tell people give a dept at least a year, before looking.

I would say your real problem is interviewing and not having your current Dept find out.

On our apps there is the question can we contact your current employer.

And we respect that till a formal offer has been made.

You could look at it you have six months in, depending say they offer you a job it may be two three months down the line, before you start.

So you are almost at the year mark.

At the time of the offer set down with current employer and just go through what you have said already, minus the insurance stuff, and thank them profusely for hiring you, but you have decided to move on....

More than likely you are not the first.

Comment

thanks fire i am honestly the 4th employee over the last year. does it sound like i am being selfish in wanting to have better insurance and a little more pay with this other dept and yes it could be months. now im curious if like you said you ask may we contact your employer , does it look really bad if I check no?

Comment

The no box should not matter,,,

Like I said at some point, normally after an official job offer, we do contact employers.

But until then we understand the hiring process is complicated, and does take awhile.

Plus, if we contact a current employer, sometimes they do not like their employee looking for other jobs, AND decide to say have a nice day you do not work here anymore!!

That includes people that work for a dept, and other employment places non fire.

Comment

Your loyalty is admirable. Now apply that loyalty to your family. The new job sounds better in every important way. I would take it. Doesn't make you a bad person. The current department will understand. They may not like it but they'll understand.
              Anyone with a few years (or decades) under their belt knows how vitally important things like healthcare, pensions, etc are.

Comment

Thank you guys. Now I know everywhere is a right to work place and they can fire you for any reason. So as am employer what are you legally allowed to say when someone calls you for a reference?

Comment

Originally posted by fireazm View Post
                  Thank you guys. Now I know everywhere is a right to work place and they can fire you for any reason. So as am employer what are you legally allowed to say when someone calls you for a reference?
                  Some places only confirm that they work there and dates.

BUT, We have our applicants sign away their life, SO we can see anything and everything,, If the employer will let us. Some do, some don't

Not sure on the legal side what they can or cannot say??

Comment

Thank you sir. I and maybe I sound naive but to me it's crazy for any dept who finds out someone is testing somewhere else to just say nope your fired.. or do I sound too nice?

Comment

Originally posted by fireazm View Post
                      Thank you sir. I and maybe I sound naive but to me it's crazy for any dept who finds out someone is testing somewhere else to just say nope your fired.. or do I sound too nice?
                      To nice!!!

And not just fire departments, but any employer.

And especially if a firefighter is on probation!!!, Saw that happen before.

Depending on the department the hiring of someone takes time and money, and once hired costs more money to outfit them. So they kind of want a person to stick around.

Problem is as you see, there is always a dept with better benefits and pay,,,, Or a person wants their so called "Dream Department"

Comment

There's a reason you're the fourth firefighter this year in such as small dept. You certainly have decent reason to leave for a better opportunity for your family. Staying for one year may help bandaid a problem, but it doesn't help the long term needs, which likely require a better benefits package to attract more local personnel. That said, if you've left other jobs (not just firefighting) with little time, you may be showing a pattern, which is a red flag in most books.

Comment

rfda i was thinking the same thing to be honest and you all are right. i know firefighting is my 2nd family but my first family is obviously number 1. I need to do whats best for my family and like i said i might not get this new job i am sure there are other good canidates as well but the insurnace thing is a big deal to my wife and kids and i feel awful that i either mis understood or didnt hear the fact they dont give insurance to families just the firefighter

Comment

Been there

in job search more you do not always hear the goods and bads.

Sometimes you do not want to ask a lot of questions.

Sometimes they do not always tell you everything, for various reasons.

Good luck on the interview.

Practice!!!! Have someone ask you questions.

Record yourself

See what you sound like, any ahhhs, one sentence answers, or stuff that does not make any sense

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X