Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to pretend like you don’t know something and be humble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pretend like you don’t know something and be humble?

Good afternoon, I hope this post doesn’t come across as rude or arrogant or cocky by any means because that is NOT what I am trying to do. I was recently hired by a department after being a reserve firefighter for 7 years. I now have been blessed working for a full time agency benefits retirement yadda yadda. I knew my co worker about 10 years ago as I worked with him ( he is not a nice person at all and his customer service skills are horrendous). Be that as it may He has only been a firefighter for a year. I know you can ALWAYS learn something from anyone age race years on the job.. whatever. But he talked down to us newbies and pretends like we don’t know anything. How do I pretend like when he shows me how to do something and I already know it .... how do I pretend to not act like I know it to make himself feel better like he is teaching me something. I honestly hope this doesn’t sound bad or me sounding like an arrogant ***** because that’s not me in the least. I hope this makes sense. Thank you for your feedback good or bad.

How many classes have you attended where the teacher/instructor was delivering something you already knew? Did you just sit there and "pretend"? I sure hope you did!

Your first year, regardless of your involvement as a volunteer/reserve, is meant to be full of struggles, learning, pressure, and the selflessness of always contributing to the team. This FF you explain (we all know him), may just be finding his way as an instructor. Did you ever consider he may be following orders to deliver a curriculum from A to Z? I would routinely assign tasks to my crews to instruct at the academy to sharpen their own skills...we all forget the basics and sometimes instructing them is a great refresher. This FF is also teaching you...how to deliver this exact lesson plan to a brand new FF. PAY ATTENTION AND BE HUMBLE.

If he contributes to a poor work environment or a safety issue, then you should talk directly to him!

By the way...this is no "Yadda-Yadda" job.

Comment

Either just suck it up and not say or word or be damn sure you're right if you say something. Best to say little and show a lot.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X