Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

24/24 Long Day schedule help?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24/24 Long Day schedule help?

Hey everyone, I did a search on google and here and still can't find an answer. I've applied and am going through the process for a department that works a 24/24 shift with a Long day and for the life of me I can't figure out how it works. I've worked a 24/48 (no Kelly day) in the past and that makes sense to me. From what I've been told the Long day rotates every 24/24 shift. When I called the department, I was told if you worked a Monday, off Tues, Wed is your Long day, off Thur, work Friday, and you work 10 days a month. That's what I've been told. Department is a 1-1/2 hour drive for me. Just trying to figure out the schedule so I know whether to pursue it or not. Have other department hiring options that I'm pursuing as well but they are normal 24/48's. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I did a 24 24 but different set up, Hated it, you are either coming or going.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

That's what I'm afraid of. I like the department but if I hate commuting every day then there are better options. Thanks. Anyone else?

Comment

I loved the California schedule. 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Both of these schedules come out to a 56 hour work week on average. Any overtime involved?

Comment

They haven't stated as of yet. I've been to the PAT and Teamwork Assessment (yeah that was interesting) and everything has been so hush-hush it's insane. I could ask in the interview next month possibly.

Comment

Originally posted by captnjak View Post
              Both of these schedules come out to a 56 hour work week on average. Any overtime involved?
              Ours worked out to 6 hours of overtime in a 27 day period.
              Crazy, but that's how it goes
              Millions of people living as foes
              Maybe it's not too late
              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

I have no idea what the "24/24 Long Shift" is but I did work several variants of the 24/24 schedule when I was a Federal Firefighter. For 7 years I drove 135 miles one-way but I did a lot of shift exchanges and would work 72 straight, and then have 3, 4 or 5 off depending on when my kelly day dropped. Just something for you to think about but in the grand scheme of things I know guys in Philadelphia that drive an hour and a half to work the 10/14 schedule.
                "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                  I loved the California schedule. 24 on 24 off 24 on 24 off 24 on 96 off.
                  That's pretty common in NC as well. The biggest downside is if your busy at night, or don't get much sleep, you spend the first day off sleeping to recover from your shift, and once you are all recovered, you are back at work. the only true free time to rest and relax is the 4 days off.

Never heard of a long shift, although I have heard people say when those three days are ll in the same calender week, ti makes it a loooong week.

Personally, I think the 24/72 is still the best schedule.
                  If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Yep, that was my issue when I worked 24/48 before we had Quick units(paramedic EMS only rigs), we would work a 25-30 call shift (mostly night runs) and your day after is burnt for anything productive. Wasn't awful, enjoyed it after getting used to it. So a little disclaimer they make the long day sound like a shift off. I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like 24 on, 72 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off. That's the only way I can make it work on a calendar anyway and get the 10 working days a month as they say. That sound normal-ish to anybody?

Sorry if this is a mundane topic to some, I've been out of the game for a few years, and 90% of my state runs 24/48's, so it's good to hear that it's not an awful unheard of thing. I appreciate everyone commenting so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteve0719 View Post
                      Ysounds like 24 on, 72 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off.
                      How did you make that work? I've tried and come up with two shifts working that , but the third a 24/48? I'll have to dig deeper. I've always enjoyed trying to figure out a better shift for our 24/48, but still no luck.

Comment

OK, I think I' have it: Three shifts, days and nights: 1 day tour, 1 day/night tour , 1 night tour , three days off, repeat?

This actually garnered some quick interest among my crew today. We work the 24/48. No one seems interested in the 48/96, but this variation raised eyebrows. Those assigned to the bus get beat up, so usually it's 24 on, a crappy first day off, a second decent day, then repeat.
                        Last edited by RFDACM02; 07-06-2019, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                          OK, I think I' have it: Three shifts, days and nights: 1 day tour, 1 day/night tour , 1 night tour , three days off, repeat?
                          That actually sounds interesting. So yea I've only ever worked the 24/48, but that weird 24/24/72 thing is what this new department is telling me their schedule is. Still in the hiring process so I don't know 100%. I know one person that works 5 days on at a time. I don't know what her off time is like but working 5 days straight is stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteve0719 View Post
                            Yep, that was my issue when I worked 24/48 before we had Quick units(paramedic EMS only rigs), we would work a 25-30 call shift (mostly night runs) and your day after is burnt for anything productive. Wasn't awful, enjoyed it after getting used to it. So a little disclaimer they make the long day sound like a shift off. I'm not entirely sure, but it sounds like 24 on, 72 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 72 off. That's the only way I can make it work on a calendar anyway and get the 10 working days a month as they say. That sound normal-ish to anybody?

Sorry if this is a mundane topic to some, I've been out of the game for a few years, and 90% of my state runs 24/48's, so it's good to hear that it's not an awful unheard of thing. I appreciate everyone commenting so far.
                            Is this a city department??
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Yes. 20 Fire Stations. City/county of 150k+.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X