Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Responding to MVAs while traveling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Responding to MVAs while traveling

Quick summary, I am a volunteer in a rural area. I drive approx. 80 miles to work and in this time I have come across a number of MVA's outside of our typical response area. I have typically held the view of, if responders are already on scene, move on.
    I have had a few that I actually witnessed and obviously stopped for. Checked on the patient (so far no injuries), notified dispatch and generally played traffic control. Once the responding department is on scene, I generally stepback, check with LEO that they don't need anything from me and move on. Note: most of the surrounding area is VFD as well
    What is the appropriate level of response in this scenario? Medical and such. Should I be providing the responding department with patient information?
    Lastly, is it appropriate to identify yourself to the patient as "so and so with the Fire Department" or should you just be considered under Good Samaritan.

sounds like you are doing normal, yes give any patient info you have, and yes id yourself, sometimes it makes all people involved more comfortable, or if someone is there with lower or higher level of med knowledge they may step up or you may step back a little.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

I'd lean toward identifying my self as "I'm Fred, an EMT from the Podunk Hollow Fire Department," to the patients, LEO, dispatch (if I call them) and FDs, especially if you've initiated any sort of care. As Fire49 notes, it may make the patients feel a little more comfortable, among others.

Of course, that could lead to "can you ride in with us?" if it's a bad one.

Sometimes, if there are personnel on scene in a rural area, I'll ask if they're all set. As a rule, they are.

If I'm in early and know the area, protocols, etc, I might make a recommendation - air medical, more ambulances, etc. I'd do the same for a fire - perhaps recommending a second alarm. As a chief, and being generally known around my area, my suggestion may garner some credence.

Someone in that situation can also provide an overall view - X cars, y patients, z needing transport, etc.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.
        I had the same view about identifying yourself, making people a little more comfortable but wasn't sure how appropriate that was.
        As far as suggestions I am no chief, so I don't have such credence.

Comment

I think simply calling in with a size up of the incident could be very helpful. Number and extent of injuries, exact location, number and type of vehicles, etc.
          You don't have to make recommendations but identifying yourself as a firefighter by name and department would give your info a lot of creedence as compared to the average civilian.

Comment

Im in a very similar situation. I typically follow the same line of thought as well. If no responders are on scene, Ill stop and make sure that everyone is ok and that the call has been placed. Help folks if I can. As soon as somebody else gets there, Im gone.

Comment

'Responding' to a MVA in my mind means actively going to accident scenes to render aid.

You are talking about what to do if you come across an accident in your travels. If you are there before the local first responders, call 911, identify yourself as a FF/EMT and update the call-taker with the relevant information. Number of patients, anyone trapped/pinned etc. Occasionally our dispatch will say 'off-duty firefighter from xyz on the scene advises that....' which will sometimes upgrade the response to include the additional required units (e.g. an ALS unit to a call that routinely gets a BLS response). Dispatch will never downgrade a response based on information from off-duty personnel on the scene, that call can only be made by someone from one of 'our' agencies.

Comment

Sounds like you're doing what's appropriate. Just make sure to keep yourself safe, not sure if you'd be covered by workman's comp in whatever state you're in. I usually carry a first aid kit and flares for such an occasion, along with EMS gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by johnsb View Post
                  Sounds like you're doing what's appropriate. Just make sure to keep yourself safe, not sure if you'd be covered by workman's comp in whatever state you're in. I usually carry a first aid kit and flares for such an occasion, along with EMS gloves.
                  I now carry the same after the last one. Inclement weather, poor visibility and rural roads are a recipe for secondary collisions. Patient was pinned in but relatively uninjured. Ended up parking a couple cars a ways up the road with hazards flashing. It worked but on the way home after leaving the scene, I stopped by and grabbed some LED road flares and other supplies I didn't have in my personal vehicle. Live and learn.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X