Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Australian fire fighter becoming USA fire fighter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian fire fighter becoming USA fire fighter

Hi there ladies and gents,

First time post here...... I am an Australia fire fighter and i have just came home from 10 weeks vacation in the USA and had the oportuninty to ride with one of the fire houses in Arizona.

now my dream is to be a fire fighter in USA and after having the day in the truck it made it even more of a must do as i loved the day in the truck with them.

I am wanting to know is there any australian fire fighters out there that have moved to USA and become a fire fighter as im trying and it seems near impossible to do this... I have to apply for a Green card (immigrant to work in USA) but i have to have a petitioner file a petition to have me work there but obviously this is near impossible before having a job so yeah asking how anyone has done this.

Would be greatly appreciated for info or help on this topic.

I am not from down under

You found the first step being able to work in the US

You could start in another job and bump to the fd

Hopefully while at a station here they explained the hiring process.

Each city does thier own hiring, we are not a Fed Dept.
    That is you next major step,,,,,

Only some require ff and medic certs before you even apply.

How old are you??

Good luck if you try to do it
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie_Fireman View Post
      I am wanting to know is there any australian fire fighters out there that have moved to USA and become a fire fighter as im trying and it seems near impossible to do this... I have to apply for a Green card (immigrant to work in USA) but i have to have a petitioner file a petition to have me work there but obviously this is near impossible before having a job so yeah asking how anyone has done this.
      Sorry to be a wet blanket, but our immigration system is very different from the australian one. I dont see any way how you could use employment based immigration as a firefighter to come to the US. The fundamental problem is that to become a firefighter, there is no formal requirement for a college degree (as in a requirement as listed by the Department of Labor. Plenty of firefighters get a degree before they are picked up by a department, its just that the DOL doesn't list it as a minimum requirement). The only categories for job related permanent immigration are for jobs that either require a 4 year degree (employment based 3) or a graduate degree (employment based 2). Occasionally, aussie firefighters come over to fight wildland fires, but those are short term deals on an emergency basis and not a path to immigration.

Now, with your dashing looks and smooth australian accent, you won't have any difficulty finding someone to marry you. 'Chicks dig firemen' ;-) While it is quite a pain to go through the immigration process via marriage, it is pretty much the only way for someone to come here who 'just wants to work' but doesn't fall into one of the narrowly defined categories that are open for job related immigration.

I could make some political comments on how insane all of this is, but that won't wont help you either.
      Last edited by Too_Old; 06-18-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys,
        Im 34 years old and been in the fire service for 6 years and on the truck for 4 years.

Comment

Thanks for the reply guys,
          Im 34 years old and been in the fire service for 6 years and on the truck for 4 years.
          Do you have a 4 year college degree ?

Comment

No I do not. If I did I wouldn?t be a fire fighter.....

Comment

I know firefighters with PHD's and still are firefighters.

Some people love pulling hose and shooting water.
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

No I do not. If I did I wouldn?t be a fire fighter.....
                There are plenty of firefighters in the US who have college degrees. They arrive at it three ways:

- some go to college, get a degree but realize that they are not cut out for the office dweller life that said degree would have bought them. For many of them, the fire service is in a way a second career (even though they may have made the switch in their early 20s).
                - in some parts of the country, the training to become a firefighter can be done through a college pathway. It would be very common for someone trying to become a career firefighter to have a 2 year degree in fire science during which he received all the required job related certifications (EMT, hazmat, fire1, fire2 etc.)
                - some start in the more traditional 'vocational track' with department internal job related training but obtain a college degree while working. Some larger departments require a 2 year degree for promotion and a 4 year degree for management level positions, so you will find many younger FFs doing online classes during downtime at work.

So at least around here, it's not uncommon to find firefighters with 4 year degrees.

The main reason I asked is that we currently have a very strong job market in the US. With a 4 year degree in something marketable, you may be able to find a company willing to sponsor you for a job related H1b visa and eventually immigration (green-card). Once you are on that job related green-card for 6 months, you would be free to pursue other employment, including the fire service.

The other options for an australian without a college education that would qualify him for a second or third preference employment based green card are:

- marriage to a US citizen
                - winning a greencard in the 'diversity visa lottery'

Comment

Just wanted to share my experiences as an Australian applying for career firefighter jobs in the USA. I moved from Melbourne to Pennsylvania back in 2006 after I married a US citizen. I was not a paid firefighter in Melb, but was an SES volunteer for 10 years, so always had an interest in emergency services. Since there's no SES equivalent here, I joined my local volunteer fire department and have loved it. I have a great 'civilian' job but have applied twice for career positions in my area and both times have missed the cut due to military points. In the USA, veterans get 'bonus points' to help secure employment after leaving the military. Unfortunately for me, enough veterans have applied for the available positions, met the requirements and bumped me down the list 13 years firefighting experience and a long list of certs is not as helpful as you might think. Also, I have many US friends with no military background who've had the same thing happen to them. Anyway, just something else to be aware of if you make it over here.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X