Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Army National guard / Firefighter, How to make it work? Path to becoming fire pilot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army National guard / Firefighter, How to make it work? Path to becoming fire pilot

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has any experience of flying with the Air guard or army guard while also being a firefighter. My plan is to get hired on with a fire department, then slowly build enough flight hours being a flight instructor/ army national guard pilot on the side. Eventually, my goal is to become a rotary wing pilot for a fire department. I was wondering if it would it be good idea to get hired on with a department as a firefighter that already has air operations, and then apply for the pilot position once I have all my qualifications. I know LA city has a program that laterals FFs over to pilots, but I want to keep my options open. I have my bachelors, EMT, and FF1. I also signed up for medic school that starts next January/, but don't know if I'm going to be able to pull off/possible passing probation etc, while being in the guard. As of now, my plan would be too get hired with a fire department, work for about 4 years, then get a pilot slot, go to flight school, and come back to my fire job, flying only when the guard needs. I don't really want to go enlisted, but I feel that having military flying experience will help me get hired as a fire pilot one day.
    Any advice would be great, Thank you.

Wow goals !!!

I am thinking you will not get an answer here

Sounds like you need face to face with pilots at LA or San Diego or private contract
    to get the best answers

Are you in the guard now?

How old are you ?

Have you tested for any fd yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Thanks for the response, that sounds like a good plan. I visited LA City, but I will definitely try OCFA, San diego, Cal Fire.

No, Ive been talking to a recruiter for the guard, and took the ASVAB, got a high enough GT score for flight, so Im scheduled to take the flight test, which is the SIFT, and then I would have flight physicals, Etc before they hand out pilot slots.

Im 22, Just finished up school at Cal Poly Slo. Ive tested with OCFA, and Costa Mesa. Made it to interviews with OCFA but didn't get past that. Didn't make it to interviews with Costa mesa. I don't really want to just give up on becoming a FF. I completely understand Im probably going to get turned down many of times, and paramedic school is definitely a long time. If I do go all in on becoming a pilot, enlisted, there is no guarantee of what they will do with me after I sign a contract or If I don't end up passing flight school/Medical Evaluations. The nice thing about the guard , is that they give you a flight slot before you sign anything, unlike if I were signing active duty.

Comment

Ok

Well you are looking at two tough careers, no matter what.

If it were me, I would ask what happens if I do not get flight school or do not pass flight school.

That might shape your decisions.

Yes I tell people test anywhere and everywhere.

Calif is a tough state to get hired in.

Highly suggest you communicate with this person, can give you direction and some calif insight

https://www.eatstress.com/about-eat-stress/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Your chances of being a Guard or Reserve pilot or flight crew is MUCH more likely than being on a flight crew for a fire dept. There are probably only flight crew jobs on a fire dept. in the range of DOZENS across the US. Slim to none, and a LONG time before you'll find an opening.
          Your best bet is to pursue flying through the military, and if you want to do the fire service, take whatever dept. you can get on. They can't discriminate against you because of military service by law. You'd be able to stay in the military reserves or guard, and you're not going to get penalized for deployments or active duty training. I know many firefighters with multiple deployments, (myself included) and cops as well. Pursue the military flight option first, because that's where you'll get your "in" into the arena of flight crews. You may also want to consider flying a medical helicopter, as there are a lot more jobs in that area.
          Good luck to you.

Comment

Look at 4-7 thousand hours of flight time, not two seaters, but larger multi engine airframes or turbine helos if you want to try getting hired as a fire/EMS pilot.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
            Working...
            X