Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separation code; JFY "Adjustment disorder" what are my chances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separation code; JFY "Adjustment disorder" what are my chances?

I was discharged from the military after 8 months of service. I received an honorable discharge but was given an adjustment disorder separation code. Reason for that was because I would get incredibly sea sick, my command was downsizing and I was going through kind of a hard time with some family issues. I was asked if I wanted to stay in the military, I said no, I was subsequently discharged. I know that separation code is probably a red flag, but if I earn my paramedic cert, a bachelors, and get some volunteer experience with a fire house, do I have a chance to still becoming a firefighter? Should I not mention my military experience at all? (I live in california)

How long ago was the discharge ?

What have you been doing since the discharge??
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
      How long ago was the discharge ?

What have you been doing since the discharge??
      It was about 2 years ago, Ive been going to school full time and working. I intend to get my bachelors degree and become a paramedic as well.

Comment

I would say as long as you can explain,,,, If asked,,, what happened and what was going on,

Plus, show you have a positive attitude now, and goals, you should be good to go.

I have not seen anyone with that code apply before, so a little lost on and prior history of people.

Does your 214 say you can reenlist??

Comment

Originally posted by fire49 View Post
          I would say as long as you can explain,,,, If asked,,, what happened and what was going on,

Plus, show you have a positive attitude now, and goals, you should be good to go.

I have not seen anyone with that code apply before, so a little lost on and prior history of people.

Does your 214 say you can reenlist??
          Thanks for responding! It says I can reenlist with a waiver.

Comment

The amount of checking that gets done varies by department. You might be fine just not mentioning it but I would recommend you scrutinize every piece of documentation you get to make sure that they have not asked you for a full and complete employment history. There are a lot of things you can explain with the truth, but if they think you tried to squeak one by them, the bigger cities that are just looking for a reason to shed applicants are probably more likely to clip you rather than ask for an explanation.

Comment

""" Thanks for responding! It says I can reenlist with a waiver.""

As a background person, I look for that.

With that and a good explanation, plus positive progression since, I would not write much, except what you have said..

We ask for a 214, because, 1. past work history, and 2. it has a lot of info on it.

Plus most applications ask why did you leave your last job!!!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X