Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

May return to EMS. Chance my success.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May return to EMS. Chance my success.

So I worked as an EMT about 6 years ago. I did not consider it a success.

I have identified the factors that led to my inability to perform.

First, I am not naturally a fast, quick on my feet thinker. I am highly intelligent, but I am more reflective and analytical. I process immediate incoming information more slowly than the average person. I do best when I can take time to think about a situation. I recognize that in EMS, this time is in short supply. We must think and act NOW, as life hangs in the balance. That is not to say I can't do it, just that it isn't natural for me. It takes a considerable amount of focus and intention for me to do. I have to be confident in the processes and skills I am utilizing.

Second, the anxiety of calls compromised my ability to perform. The focus required to be this job well was interfered with by anxiety. Basic tasks seemed insurmountable challenges. I did not have any grounding skills to manage this anxiety, and it essentially took over. The result was on some calls I was unable to do the job well. Sometimes, I would "freeze up." I'd say as time went on, this was less of a factor. However, patient's lives hang in the balance, and I may not have the time to dial this in. A mistake could cost a life.

I did very well in class. I was able to competently manage our "mock" calls. However, the pressures and anxieties of real emergencies added another element entirely, and I was not able to adapt. My crew told me I was below average and wasn't going to make it. This was crushing, but fair. I was not performing competently. Some calls I did well, but I was very inconsistent.

My success will depend entirely on my ability to ground myself and focus on the situation at hand, managing the anxieties of an emergency. I essentially need to tune out my anxieties and focus, so that I may think and act RIGHT NOW. I need to improve my ability to think on my feet, and cope with and tune out anything that gets in the way. So my question is, is this something that can be learned, or is this something you either have or you don't? Is EMS/firefighting simply a poor fit for me, and should I accept that and pursue different ways of helping people?

Don't hold back. I'd like to know.

So how old are you now??

What have you been doing the last six years??

Are you still certified?

Any firefighting work??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Can you arrange a ride-along with a local agency?

You'd be under no pressure to perform, as an observer, but you'd be able to place yourself in the crews shoes real time and perhaps judge your reaction and response to the unfolding situation.

And perhaps critique your view of the call with the crew after the fact.

If you get a good mentoring crew, they might even include you in the call, asking your assessment, etc. Worst case scenario, you end up assisting with CPR on a full arrest.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

If you cannot overcome this anxiety I would recommend finding another line of work.
        As an EMT, Paramedic or Firefighter it is of utmost importance that you can think on your feet fast and make the right call "Everytime" because lives are in the balance.
        Think of it this way: What if you needed medical attention for a life threatening condition or needed rescue from a burning building? Would you want a 1st responder showing up and not have the ability to make a fast assessment and plan of attack to save your life?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90