Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with a heavily corroded fire extinguisher

Totally new one to me.

I had someone ask my opinion about disposing of a heavily corroded dry chem fire extinguisher. This thing looks like it has been submerged in salt water for years, heavy scaly rust but the gauge still reads in the green and amazingly the gauge looks to be in good enough condition that I believe it is accurate, not just stuck there. As I recall these are in the 100psi range, so some significant pressure if it decided to come apart. A quick google search shows that yes, people have been killed by exploding dry chem extinguishers.

Personally I'd be afraid to touch it, I can't believe it can still hold pressure it is so rotten. Pellet gun at 50 yards is my only thought.

Figured I'd call a service company on Monday, I don't think the FD can do anything with it, I mean if I showed up, I'd be calling dispatch to call somebody who knew.

Talked to a local fire extinguisher company today and they will take care of it. I have to say fire extinguishers must be tougher than I thought, I can't believe this thing can hold pressure in its condition.

Thanks

Comment

take it to an outdoor shooting range, set it up 50 feet away, and use it for target practice? bonus points if you record it with a high speed camera and share the video on youtube.
      If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
      Working...
      X