Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Setting up squirrel tail suction

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up squirrel tail suction

A couple of months ago, I was operating the water supply engine at a structure fire. The driveway was narrow, so I had to put the dump tank behind the engine. Thanks to the wasted length required in making the turn from the pump panel toward the rear of the truck, my hard suction didn't reach the dump tank as efficiently as I would have liked.

So I'm now shopping for swivel elbows to allow the suction to make a tight turn off the panel and go straight to the front or rear.

My question is whether 90 degrees is ideal or if anybody has experience with 60 or 45 degrees, if such an appliance exists. Any thoughts?

“I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

If memory serves, some squirrel tales used two nineties with a swivel between them.

The smaller the angle, the less loss you'll have through the fitting, but the nineties will give you less width overall.

Our Storz suction gate has a swivel and is set at about a 45 degree angle, IIRC.

We've started carrying a third section of hard suction for the same reason.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Thanks. You might say I got a little "squirrelly" wondering if the 90 might actually keep the suction too close to the truck, but we're using a big fat butterfly valve, so I think the offset is sufficient.
      “I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth, in fact, because I was born in Kentucky.”
      ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I have often wondered why rural departments have abandoned the squirrel tail suction. I mean other than the obvious addition of rear suctions. Having a squirrel tail that could go forward or backwards offers a ton of options at a cheaper price than another valve and additional piping.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Don't forget front suctions! Front or rear, there is the option to set up a drop tank out of the driving lane on narrow road, and a front suction also allows an engine to nose up to a static water source.

The major problem with both front and rear suctions is usually that they use a smaller diameter pipe than the suction hose intended to connect to them. That limits their capacity.

And there is the problem of where to store 20' of hard sleeve. When hoods were narrower than the rest of the body, there was a place to mount it. Today's trucks don't offer that same space, especially customs.

Comment

Front suctions tend to have at least 2 - 90 degree elbows and as many as 4 - 45 degree elbows adding friction loss. Depending on the manufacturer and the piping arrangement the actual flow may only be as low as 70% of pump capacity. Rear suctions tend to be straighter with the only elbows most often being to hook to the pump intake manifold. The rear suction on our HME engine is piped with 6 inch pipe.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

A couple of our pumps have 90 degree elbows for suction if we have to draft from the front or rear. Useful as our dry hydrants are in tight areas where its easier to drive straight in.
              Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

I'm definitely a big believer in other suction points. Two of our engines have them (one front and one rear), but the two newest do not. They are ideal here in the mountains, where county roads are as narrow as many driveways and there is no space beside the road.
                ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I've seen 6" elbows in catalogs, look in a TFT catalog or other similar catalog. Can you put 3 sections of suction on the truck? Or perhaps order longer sections to reach?

Comment

We're not having any trouble finding a source, but I wanted to make sure that 90 degrees was the best bend before we plunked down a few hundred Benjamins on it.
                    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by EastKyFF View Post
                      We're not having any trouble finding a source, but I wanted to make sure that 90 degrees was the best bend before we plunked down a few hundred Benjamins on it.
                      Any bend is going to cause some friction loss. Maybe a lesser angle will suffice for your purposes.

It comes down to deciding if the increased versatility is worth the loss in potential flow.

If you frequently need what such a setup will offer you, but rarely run the pump at capacity in those situations, go for it.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90