Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Company to buy badges from?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Company to buy badges from?

Morminh/evenoh/whatever it is guys

I am writing a Uniform SOG for my POC ambo company. Included in that policy will be a requirement for badges.

My question is, I know both Smith & Warren and Blackinton make an excellent product, however I was wondering if anyone was aware of a badge company that caters to the more frugal service? Pricing out badges, and I have a feeling my director is going to sh*t circles around herself if they best I can do is $63 a pop

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Aside from a generic EMS badge (generally under $20), I think that's pretty much your choices. And the prices only go up from $63 if you add any features. A dual tone badge can run upwards of $140...

If you're talking a dress-type uniform, that's pretty much what you're stuck with, from what I've seen. I found a couple of other manufacturers, but they didn't list prices... Some folks subscribe to the philosophy "if you have to ask, you can't afford it..."

If you're talking a daily duty uniform another option might be to settle on a badge design and get some for the folks who are most likely to need a "real" badge for appearances sake (press conferences, meetings, etc) for starters. For everyone else, perhaps you can get a patch company to duplicate the badge as a patch. They would probably be better for your everyday duty uniform, and would probably come in under $5 per, depending on quantity.

I've seen this done, even to the point of embroidering the badge directly on apparel.

Once you get that accomplished, you can buy a few real badges each year as your budget allows until you've got everyone covered.

If you have folks who won't have a badge for a specific event, and if you haven't personalized the badges, a little borrowing will allow full coverage, once you have enough to do that.

If someone gets the idea to design a custom badge for the agency, the set-up fee is somewhere between $1500 and $2000, but that's a one-time charge.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I guess my question would be what is the intent of having the badges? For special events like PR, parades, and sadly funerals? Or as a basic addition to everyone's uniform shirt? I know your ambo does not wear a uniform shirt, but rather t-shirts, sweatshirts or jackets on calls. Sp perhaps initially as mentioned above you buy 6 or 12 badges and loan them out for events and get them back when the event is over. Or if someone wants their own right away they could buy their own with the initial order.
      Crazy, but that's how it goes
      Millions of people living as foes
      Maybe it's not too late
      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
        I guess my question would be what is the intent of having the badges? For special events like PR, parades, and sadly funerals? Or as a basic addition to everyone's uniform shirt?
        All of the above. I'm writing a policy regarding appropriate dress for duty, appropriate dress for parades/PR/Events, and appropriate dress for funerals.

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
        Aside from a generic EMS badge (generally under $20), I think that's pretty much your choices. And the prices only go up from $63 if you add any features. A dual tone badge can run upwards of $140...
        Oh trust me, I know... Or at least I thought I knew. Then I priced out the badge I would like us to use, versus what we will likely go with and I couldn't believe it. I'm trying like HELL to avoid the generic EMS badges because in my opinion they are gigantic and tacky as hell.

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
        ...most likely to need a "real" badge for appearances sake (press conferences, meetings, etc) for starters. Once you get that accomplished, you can buy a few real badges each year as your budget allows until you've got everyone covered.

If you have folks who won't have a badge for a specific event, and if you haven't personalized the badges, a little borrowing will allow full coverage, once you have enough to do that.
        So perhaps initially as mentioned above you buy 6 or 12 badges and loan them out for events and get them back when the event is over. Or if someone wants their own right away they could buy their own with the initial order.
        This is likely what will be done initially, just for costs sake. I'm not privy to the uniform budget the service has, so buying in stages may very well be what happens.

Or if someone wants their own right away they could buy their own with the initial order.
        Adding to the point about buying several each year, I guess that all depends on who the director determines is responsible for purchasing the badge. Personally, what I am pushing for is the service buys the badges, and the member buys their name bar. It would be a standard badge for the service, not personalized for an individual. When you join the service you're issued a badge. When you leave, you return the badge. If you would like to keep your badge, you simply purchase it from the service. That way there hopefully won't be much turnover for badges needed, because they are either being returned to the service to be reused, or the individual paid for it and the service can buy a replacement. And then the members buy their name bars, in compliance with the uniform SOG, as that is a personalized item.

I assumed as much that Smith & Warren or Blackinton were still the "standard." I was just curious if there were any companies out there offering a more competitive price. I appreciate the input from both of you.
        "A fire department that writes off civilians faster than an express line of 6 reasons or less is not progressive, it's dangerous, because it's run by fear. Fear does not save lives, it endangers them." -- Lt. Ray McCormack FDNY

"Because if you don't think you're good, nobody else will." -- DC Tom Laun (ret) Syracuse

Comment

Originally posted by Chenzo View Post
          [COLOR=#ff0000][I]Adding to the point about buying several each year, I guess that all depends on who the director determines is responsible for purchasing the badge. Personally, what I am pushing for is the service buys the badges, and the member buys their name bar.
          When we got Class A's a year or so ago, we also bought new badges (because the dozen or so I had donated over time apparently didn't look "official" enough to a few folks) and it was made plain that the new style badge was the only one authorized. I went out and bought my own "past chief" version of that new model and will wear it when appropriate. It also has my name on it. Right now, I'm VP and have a badge that says so.

IF you allow members to purchase their own shield, I would suggest that you specify that it must be an XYZ model 1234 badge, in {name your color - including finish} if there's space on the badge, perhaps you could allow such individuals to have their employee number or perhaps their name on the shield.

In the future, you could always have a nice two-toned badge with fancy lettering made for a long-time member when they retire.

Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Dress uniforms are typically expensive..... Shirt, pants, jacket, tie, shoes, belt, badge, collar bars, name tag, etc. does everyone need one? most EMS personnel will rarely need one for special event, the exception might be a chief or agency head who goes to a lot of meetings.

You can "cheat" and get away with a long sleeve button down shirt, clip on tie, uniform pants, and dress shoes, and that can cover most instances.

How many parades are you really going to? how many people go? how many funerals do you go to a year? is it worth the investment? Do you really want to wear dress whites for PR events?

As a personal rule, I am 100% in favor of badges, and 100% against field personnel wearing any real badges or brass on a uniform shirt. cloth badges and name tape are much more preferred, especially for those who are doing the work; let the white shirted office personnel look all shiny for the cameras.

They look great on a dress uniform, as well as for a retirement center piece. they should be owned by the agency, and returned upon separation. If someone refuses to return it, they should have law enforcement file theft charges to retrieve it. But they are definitely expensive to set up initially.
            If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Try pricing through Paul Conway out of WI. I was very surprised how much less their badge pricing was than others for Smith and Warren.
              "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X