This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When to call it quits

You have been an active member of the greatest profession in the world. You have been there when it was rough and when it has been rewarding. But now you cant seem to make it go any further. you are stuck in the same position,not making any money,not getting out of it what you have put into it.After a long painful thought,it has been decided to call it quits. This is excatly what has happend to me and several other that i know. The job market for firefighting is tight. very hard to get in. The thing that kills us the most is that when it is time for the hiring to take place,the people that get the jobs are the kids that are fresh out of high school, little or no knowledge if the job. the only reason they are getting hired is due to the fact that a test determined that they are the best candidate. A TEST!!!! Everyday there are thousands of more than qualified people out there getting passed up per say because they didnt do well on a civil service exam. The killer is with this is these people have the time in,either as a part-time or volunteer, these people have the training,the time in the fire service and they know what it takes. But they are getting passed up because of a goddamn civil service test.Now for all the long timers out there, ask yourselves this question how do you feel about your safety and the safety of your crew when you see a f.n.g with absolutely no time in the fire service. Has no idea what a flash over is,no clue what to do with a cutters edge, cant figure out his scott,thinks r.i.t is a rock band! These are the people that the wonderful civil service commisions all over the united states are hiring.and why because they scored #1 on the test. But at the bottom of the list is the guy with the most time in,works his *** off day in and day out, not getting any younger.lives,breaths,sleeps,eats firefighting.We all know that most people out there just arent good test takers,is it fair or safe to hire a "kid" with 0 time, just because he scored better on a test? when do the qualified applicants get a chance? These are the reasons why many of us now are leaving the fire service. we cant wait around for the jobs anymore. been passed over time after time because we didnt score high enough. Doesnt matter the training we have,the expieriance we have,or the knowledge. we get shafted because of a goddamn test.and after well over 25 test and interviews ect, myself and several others have decided to call it quits before we reach the point of age. It may seem like crying the blues, but think hard about your cities hiring practices. look at who they are hiring, see how long it takes to train an 18 year old, with no time in the service. then think "do i really want this kid behind me on the line?" scary isnt it? I hate to leave the one thing i ever truely loved. but i like so many others can no longer afford to wait any more. Be safe

Perhaps you are missing the point, it isnt about "money" it is about qualified people getting the job. if it was money i was after i would have never chosen this profession. The simple fact of the matter is unqualified people getting the jobs over the people who have put the time and effort into it only because of politics and a civil service test

[ 08-22-2001: Message edited by: E-14 ]

Ain't it great! And then if you get the chance to get hired, you're deemed too old by some federal b/s law or something.

"But i've been a volly since I was 18, and just because i'm x yrs. old now, why is it such a big deal?"

I don't know why volly's don't get a leg up on John Q. Public.
    May God bless all the people and families who have lost
    their lives on 9-11-01, to those also lost on Flight 587, and to the rescuers who responded to both.

"I'm not saying it's right, i'm just saying (the way it is)."

FDNY-EMS - Still New York's Best!

e-mail always accepted @
    [email protected]

Comment

dont give up 5 minutes before the miracle.

Comment

I started as a volunteer and was fortunate enough to be hired by an agency. I didn't get the job because I'm a volunteer or because I'm a female. I got it because I work hard and I earned it. My ultimate satisfaction isn't my paycheck, though. I'm satisfied when I can do something good. Maybe your attitude keeps you from getting a job.
        Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

Comment

Whenever i start to feel that way i put in for some annual leave....Working for a Municipality can have its share of headaches due to all the politicing.....Sad but true....
          Having a "YES" man as your head man, haveing a city council that refuses new trucks and thermal imaging cameras...I guess a life isnt worth 12,000$$$???? anywho.....take a break...get away from there....and if you really ARE doing this for the money you should quit now
          stay safe
          Its not something you do,
          Its something you are.
          "Whether we bring the terrorists to justice, or we bring justice to the terroists...Justice WILL BE DONE"... President Bush
          Engineer
          Engine Co. # 1
          THESE ARE JUST MY OPINIONS AND OPINIONS ONLY!!!

Comment

E14 YOU ARE RIGHT.
            IT EASIER TO HIRE A UNKNOWLEDGEABLE FF AND TRAIN THEM AS THEY HAVE NO BASIS TO REALIZE IF WE TRAIN THEM WRONG. I CAN TELL A ROOKIE THAT WE DRIVE A TANKER TO A HYDRANTED AREA AND HE WON'T KNOW THE DIFFERANCE. AS THE MOVE UP THE RANKS IF THE ONLY THING THEY KNOW IS WHAT I HAVE TOLD THEM ALL GOES SMOOTH FOR ME IT IS LIKE A LUMP OF CLAY YOU CAN MOLD THEM INTO WHATEVER YOU WANT. BESIDES IF THEY HIRED KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE WHO WOULD I TEACH?
            FF/PARAMEDIC/CORONER/TRAINING "MY DAY STARTS WHEN YOURS ENDS"
            **SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE**

Comment

i dont know the rules for civil service laws in your state or the hiring practices...but here in Massachusetts there are a couple of preferance catagoried they hire by

1. son or daughter of killed or 100% disabled firefighter
              2. RESIDENT disable veteran
              3. RESIDENT veteran
              4. RESIDENT
              5. free for all for everyone else!

the biggest thing the civil service commision looks for is the person being a resident of the community they are hiring for..it doesnt matter if your a fire chief of some town if your not a resident your at the bottom of the pile!

Do I agree with this practice? for the most part yes! People the Civil service commision has the job we want! the laws for hiring are public knowledge, they set the rules because the can. If someone doesnt get a job because thay are not in one of those catagories the only person you have to blame is yourself!!
              If someone wants the job bad enough you will "jump through all hoops" they put in your way!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X