Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

We could use some levity around here...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We could use some levity around here...

Got a call for an activated fire alarm...left work, drove to the hall and made the first pumper out.

Not a far drive to the scene.

All geared up, ready to go...

Found out I left my mask back at the hall in my gear rack...

Well, at least we had a hydrant guy in case we needed it, and the others had a chuckle at the expense of the new(just got on with this department; have 6 years on at my other one) guy...

*shakes head*
    Two departments, twice the fun...

One dark night outside a small town, a fire started inside the local chemical plant and before you could snap your fingers it exploded into flames and the alarm went out to the volunteer fire departments from miles around.

When the volunteer firefighters appeared on the scene, the chemical company president rushed to the fire chief and said, "All of our secret formulas are in the vault in the center of the plant. They must be saved. I will give $50,000 to the engine company that brings them out intact."

The fire chief ordered his men to strengthen their attack on the blaze. After two hours of fighting the fire another fire department was called in and the president of the chemical company offered $100,000 to the firefighters who could bring out the company's secret files.

From the distance, a long siren was heard as another fire truck came into sight. It was the local volunteer fire company composed entirely of men over the age of 65. To everyone's amazement, the little fire engine raced passed everyone and drove straight into the middle of the inferno. Outside the other firemen watched as the old timers jumped off their rig and began to fight the fire with a performance and effort never seen before. Within a short time, the old timers had extinguished the fire and saved the secret formulas.

The grateful chemical company president joyfully announced that for such a superhuman feat he was upping the reward to $200,000, and walked over to personally thank each of the brave, though elderly, fire fighters.

The local TV news reporters rushed in after capturing the event on film asking, "What are you going to do with all that money?"

"Well," said the 70-year-old fire chief, "the first thing we are going to do is fix the brakes on the truck."

Comment

We had a call for lifting assistance to the coroner as he was on scene with an obviously dead person. Once the chief got on scene he requested that the utility truck be brought with SCBA. We had a very gung-ho member at the time. He felt it was more important to have the rescue there for the light tower as it was 2am.

So the rescue pulls up and the EMT jumps out and decides we need action, not standing around outside (mind you the chief and the coroner are both standing outside when the rescue got there). He says that he is going to get furniture moved and see what we need inside. Again, the chief had been there for 5-10 minutes and the coroner was there for some time before that.

30 seconds later, cue Super EMT bursting out the door an throwing up just outside. The "patient" had died about 4 days prior. This was a person with mental issues that collected all of her urine and feces in jars - no lids, just the jars and stored it in the bedroom with her. All of the doors and windows were shut in the house just to keep things inside. Evidently our enthusiastic EMT noticed a little smell when he walked in, but didn't think anything of it until he opened the bedroom door and got the full force of the aroma.

Comment

Got paged out for an apartment fire just after 1900 last night...

Didn't forget my mask this time.
        Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

True story. I swear. No, I won't name the department or the Chief involved.

We had our semi-annual department safety meeting at a facility in the city that offered a very nice meeting room and pastries and coffee, milk and juice for our meeting. One of our chiefs drove his department car there, attended the meeting and then got a ride back to quarters with someone else leaving his car there. A couple of days later the facility called and asked if we could come and get his car out of their lot. He forgot he left it there!
          Crazy, but that's how it goes
          Millions of people living as foes
          Maybe it's not too late
          To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Called out for a storm incident tonight - wires and tree down. Had to close the road for a bit so the utility could do their thing.

Have recently seen a "meme" wherein someone said that one of these days, when they're directing traffic at an incident, they'd answer the perennial question "what happened?" with "shark attack."

So I did. I'm not sure the motorist was amused...
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

We've all done something really stupid at one time or another. Not everyone is willing to admit it though.

It's New Years Eve and I've been on the department right at a year. Since I'm on rescue and it's NYE a couple of us are hanging around the station for all the call that we know will happen. Tones start going off, EMS tones started about the same time, so we think it's a rescue. Nope, structure fire at a motel, room whatever. Why for the life of me I'll never know but it instantly pops into my mind that we'll grab the water can and put out the metal trash can that's burning in the room once we get there. Mind you, not how we operate at that time either.
              Geared up, on the engine and pack up but don't put on the mask with belt mounted regulator. I'm sitting backward behind the officer's seat in a 1972 Mack, open rear cab. It was originally delivered with (2) 1" booster reels and was retrofitted with 150' of rubber 1 3/4" rubber pre connect on the officer side below the ground ladder and duplicate line in the hose bed at the rear of the truck. Riding along dumb, fat and happy when we drive through black smoke that is blowing over the highway/street. Look at the other Rookie and "We've got a fire!", mask goes on. Engineer does a U turn and stops, taps the rear window and says "Grab the hose!". Literally every time I rode this truck, in this seat and got off at a fire I needed to pull the red line from the fender below the ladder. So this is what I did even though I did notice one of our members, a rather large individual who did ground support, standing by the tail board. Hose hits the ground and he steps to the side exposing the hydrant and says "No, the 5"!". This is before we had hydrant bags so I drop the attack line, grab LDH, wrap it while he grabs spanners and the hydrant wrench. He then says "Pick up the red line and get to the fire!" and I do so. As I'm holding 150' of pre connected 1 3/4" in my arms and contemplating how to remount the engine the Engineer pops the clutch. I swear to this day I heard him giggle as he did so. He is now laying LDH with an idiot in full gear, to include mask without BMR hose attached and tube swinging, running along side the engine while carrying the pre connect in his arms. Fortunately it was only about a block but it was definitely more than a trash can on fire.

The Engineer and I are now co workers and he still giggles when we talk about that incident. Fortunately the other Rookie was only around for a couple years. I've found that the new guys kind of feel better when they know those that have been around for awhile have made stupid mistakes as well.

Hope you enjoyed the chuckle,
              Walt
              Train like you want to fight.
              www.kvfd.net

Comment

Heading out the door on a medical call one day and our Lt. decided to do his best Roy Rogers impression and was swinging the now hanging electric cord like a cowboy. Then the cord took a bad turn and the plug came up between his legs from below! We almost drove into the laundromat across the street laughing so hard, we could see him crumpled on the floor in the mirrors!

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Lower 970x90

Collapse

Lower 728x90