Announcement

Collapse

Firehouse.com Forum Rules & Guidelines

Forum Rules & Guidelines

Not Permitted or Tolerated:
• Advertising and/or links of commercial, for-profit websites, products, and/or services is not permitted. If you have a need to advertise on Firehouse.com please contact sales@firehouse.com
• Fighting/arguing
• Cyber-bullying
• Swearing
• Name-calling and/or personal attacks
• Spamming
• Typing in all CAPS
• “l33t speak” - Substituting characters for letters in an effort to represent a word or phrase. (example: M*****ive)
• Distribution of another person’s personal information, regardless of whether or not said information is public knowledge and whether or not an individual has permission to post said personal information
• Piracy advocation of any kind
• Racist, sexual, hate type defamatory, religious, political, or sexual commentary.
• Multiple forum accounts

Forum Posting Guidelines:

Posts must be on-topic, non-disruptive and relevant to the firefighting community. Post only in a mature and responsible way that contributes to the discussion at hand. Posting relevant information, helpful suggestions and/or constructive criticism is a great way to contribute to the community.

Post in the correct forum and have clear titles for your threads.

Please post in English or provide a translation.

There are moderators and admins who handle these forums with care, do not resort to self-help, instead please utilize the reporting option. Be mature and responsible for yourself and your posts. If you are offended by another member utilize the reporting option. All reported posts will be addressed and dealt with as deemed appropriate by Firehouse.com staff.

Firehouse.com Moderation Process:
Effective immediately, the following moderation process will take effect. User(s) whose posts are determined by Firehouse.com staff to be in violation of any of the rules above will EARN the following reprimand(s) in the moderation process:
1. An initial warning will be issued.
2. A Final Warning will be issued if a user is found to be in violation a second time.
3. A 3-day suspension will be issued if the user continues to break the forum rules.
4. A 45-day suspension will be issued if the user is found to be a habitual rule breaker.
5. Habitual rule breakers that have exhausted all of the above will receive a permanent life-time ban that will be strictly enforced. Reinstatement will not be allowed – there is no appeal process.

Subsequent accounts created in an effort to side-step the rules and moderation process are subject to automatic removal without notice. Firehouse.com reserves the right to expedite the reprimand process for any users as it is deemed necessary. Any user in the moderation process may be required to review and agree to by email the terms and conditions listed above before their account is re-instated (except for those that are banned).

Firehouse.com reserves the right to edit and/or remove any post or member, at any time, for any reason without notice. Firehouse.com also reserves the right to warn, suspend, and/or ban, any member, at any time, for any reason.

Firehouse.com values the active participation we have in our forums. Please ensure your posts are tasteful and tactful. Thank you very much for your cooperation.
See more
See less

Line officer issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line officer issues

So I'm a third year chief and I'm having an issue with a lower line officer. He doesn't respect me much and bad mouths me and other chief officers. He has a complex that he's better than everyone in the dept including myself and challenges my authority whenever he can. If I tell him no or another way I want something done he gets angry. Recently he's call jumped a few of our neighboring dept calls stating "he was right there". The problem is we can't afford to lose him because he's an emt and a decent fireman plus we're a small rural dept and can't afford to lose any members. Any thoughts on how to handle it?

Make him a chief while he still knows it all... [/sarcasm]
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

What is your departments discipline process ?

Comment

It seems like you have several issues with this one officer, let me try to address each individually.
        Originally posted by 18firefighter16 View Post
        So I'm a third year chief and I'm having an issue with a lower line officer.
        You are the chief, so the buck stop with you. You are accountable for all your officers, and anything they do is done by your authority. While I am sure you know this, I want to make sure you understand that all his authority comes directly from you, and any of his screwups are also attributed to you.
        He doesn't respect me much and bad mouths me and other chief officers.
        why not? does he bad mouth you internally or externally? does he think he could do a better job? does he think you are doing a bad job? Maybe he is just trying to show off because he wants to be chief one day, and thinks the best way to do that is by showing how you aren't doing a good job? I have no problems with officers disagreeing behind closed doors, but in public you need to have a united front to show the membership that the chief is in charge and the officers are acting at the delegated direction of the chief.

If he has a solution to issues, he can gladly discuss it with the rest of the officer. if he is just going to whine about things, and not work towards a solution, there is the door.
        He has a complex that he's better than everyone in the dept including myself and challenges my authority whenever he can.
        You're the chief. maybe he is better than everyone else. but your still the chief. if he doesn't like it, follow your disciplinary program in your department up to and including there is there door.
        If I tell him no or another way I want something done he gets angry.
        major warning sign. we have all gotten frustrated when something doesn't go our way (especially being type A personalities), but consistently getting angry when being told no? maybe this isn't the field for him. But it can also be a sign of immaturity.
        Recently he's call jumped a few of our neighboring dept calls stating "he was right there".
        what does that mean? he jumped an EMS call in his POV? or he was in a department vehicle and was driving by? Was he helpful on the scene (did the right thing by the public until the AHJ arrived, at which point he turned it over to them), or did they complain about his actions? or was he in a fire engine with a full crew and left the station to help out someone else because he was bored?
        The problem is we can't afford to lose him because he's an emt and a decent fireman plus we're a small rural dept and can't afford to lose any members. Any thoughts on how to handle it?
        1) sounds like this person shouldn't be an officer, at least not at this time.

2) while I understand being a volunteer department and not affording to lose people, this guy sounds like he could be contributing to a negative culture at the station, which is never good. sometimes if a troublemaker is dismissed others become more active

3) based on just what you have said, he sounds like a powder keg waiting to go off. And when it does happen, the blame will fall squarely on you, as the chief, for failing to prevent it. I'm assuming he's appointed by the members of the department and not chosen by you: If you can't remove him from a supervisory position, suspend him for as long as you can, until the behavior changes. This isn't punitive, but a good leader cannot let the actions that you describe to continue without any repercussions.
        If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Originally posted by drparasite View Post
          Maybe he is just trying to show off because he wants to be chief one day, and thinks the best way to do that is by showing how you aren't doing a good job?
          I have, through the years, encountered more than a few people who deal with their own inadequacies not by improving themselves but by running down everyone they perceive to be a threat to their desired superiority. People usually see through them, especially because eventually they've run down just about everyone.

Know of a chief who wanted to leave his own legacy and attempted to do so by devaluing/removing the legacies of his predecessors. One member was suspended due to his "legacy" because that member blacked out part of the dome on a rear stanchion light that shined/reflected directly into the eyes of the driver. That doing so made the light comply with accepted standards didn't seem to matter. He didn't last long as chief - made too many enemies in too short a time..
          Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Okay, here's my take on this. At this point it doesn't matter how good an EMT or firefighter he is because he is a source of constant turmoil. Sit him down with your Assistant Chief and explain clearly in detail what you expect of him, follow that up with a clear explanation of the progressive discipline procedures you will use if he fails to comply. Number 1 being removal as an officer if his behavior continues and potential removal from the department if he doesn't comply.

Here's where you are, and let me be blunt, if you don't end this now you will no longer be in charge of the department, he will. Others are already seeing it and seeing you aren't stopping it.

I was a volunteer fire chief and i had a member that was disruptive at meetings. I would try to implement a policy change, or change something on the rigs, or change the way we did something and if he didn't like it he would announce loudly at the meeting that if i did that he would quit. This went on for months and finally at one meeting after his usual announcement I said "We'll miss you but this change is occurring." He asked me what i meant and I said "Well you said you would quit if we made this change and we are making this change. So I am assuming you'll quit. So we'll miss you." He sunk back in his chair because I sucked the wind out of his sails. I had hoped he might stay, but after the meeting he turned in his pager and quit. Not the outcome I had wanted but that particular problem ended that night.
            Crazy, but that's how it goes
            Millions of people living as foes
            Maybe it's not too late
            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              Here's where you are, and let me be blunt, if you don't end this now you will no longer be in charge of the department, he will. Others are already seeing it and seeing you aren't stopping it.
              OP, this exactly.
              Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              I was a volunteer fire chief and i had a member that was disruptive at meetings. I would try to implement a policy change, or change something on the rigs, or change the way we did something and if he didn't like it he would announce loudly at the meeting that if i did that he would quit. This went on for months and finally at one meeting after his usual announcement I said "We'll miss you but this change is occurring." He asked me what i meant and I said "Well you said you would quit if we made this change and we are making this change. So I am assuming you'll quit. So we'll miss you." He sunk back in his chair because I sucked the wind out of his sails. I had hoped he might stay, but after the meeting he turned in his pager and quit. Not the outcome I had wanted but that particular problem ended that night.
              Your more tolerant than I would have been. After the third time, I would have said "Sorry to hear, your resignation is accepted, please turn in your gear and pager before you leave tonight."

I understand needing all qualified manpower, especially on a volunteer department; but never forget that you lead the department, you make the decisions that they need to follow, and while everyone has their right to their opinion (especially before the call comes out), once the decision is made, they can either accept it or use the door. It's as simple as that.
              If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

Comment

Sounds like he needs a beating with the chain of command.
                Two departments, twice the fun...

Comment

No matter how skillful a person is, the attitude will either develop better or worsen the culture of your department.
                  Last edited by connor02; 06-12-2018, 09:29 PM.

Comment

All fire depts. in this day and age are no longer social clubs. If you don't have any rules of conduct, you need to come up with some NOW! As others have said, if you don't get rid of this bad apple now, you're risking spoiling the whole bunch. Don't put up with it, just because you THINK he's a good firefighter, you'll probably not miss him when he's gone.

Comment

I would love the OP to come back and give us an update.
                      Crazy, but that's how it goes
                      Millions of people living as foes
                      Maybe it's not too late
                      To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

300x600 Forums Only

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Upper 300x250